Grand Hotel Des Flandres

More about Paris

Quick restaurantQuick restaurant

The Musee d'OrsayThe Musee d'Orsay

Jim Morrison's graveJim Morrison's grave

view from the garden (see the two façades)view from the garden (see the two façades)

Seeing Paris in two days!!

by BananaRepublic

I am going to visit Paris for two days . I will be staying near Gare du Nord . What is the best way to take a sight seeing bus /hop-on hop-off bus from the train station to see Paris ? I don't want to bother with the metro . Thanks !!

by leics

The Montmartre L'Open hoho bus route stops at the Gare du Nord itself;

Otherwise, why not just walk to the nearest stop for any of the three other routes?

Les Cars Rouge also run a hoho tour:

by Karlithus

Hey.

Bus are a good way of seeing much of any city but, why don't just walk?

I'm sure you'll experience everything in a much deep way and breath the Parisience air.

Have a good trip

by BananaRepublic

Thanks everybody for the info . I see your point of walking but I just don't have the time or know the city to walk anywhere . Taking a bus/tourist hop on hop off is more practical .

by chrisbilal

I would highly recommend walking around the city at night at least. It truly is the city of lights.

by jemima62

I agree that walking the city is really great but if you have very limited time and want to see as much as possible then I recommend l'Open Tour for their hop on-hop off service with 4 different routes to choose from. They start from Rue Auber but you can get on and buy a ticket at any of the stops around the city. If you look at my Paris travel pages you'll find a tip with more information under 'Transportation'. Have a great time!

by BananaRepublic

Thanks,jemima62 . I have checked on L'Open Tour . It seems to be convenient given the short time I have . I read to avoid the Blue Route on the tour for some reason . However, I will begin my sightseeing trip from Gare du Nord . I will try to take two or three routes of the tour if time permits .

by jemima62

Glad to be of help! I can't think of any particular reason to avoid the blue route. I suppose I did find the outer parts of it the least interesting (when it goes out as far as Bercy) but it also takes in Notre Dame and Bastille which I'm sure you won't want to miss.

by dianebr

I love the hop on, hop off bus; such a good way to orient oneself to the city!
The pass is good for two days, so you can use the bus as transportation the second day, having decided where you want to spend your time.
Certainly walking is great, but you sure can't walk all over the city in two days!
As far as the metro is concerned, it certainly is the quickest, easiest and most efficient to get from one area of the city to another.

by pascaline87

Hi !!

I suggest to visit parisian highlights ! Around Gare du Nord, you could visit Montmartre, Moulin Rouge, the Opera House...

I think Open Bus is worried, it's better to visit by walking

by BananaRepublic

pascaline87,: I would like to go to Montmartre . How far is it from Gare du Nord ? I am not sure if I can take the city bus .

by BananaRepublic

@pedmar: Thanks a lot for the info !!

Travel Tips for Paris

Wander around the inner city...

by worldkiwi

Wander around the inner city aimlessly. Paris' streets are full of intriguing sights. By deliberately wandering off the beaten tourist path, you are bound to find something memorable. Sometimes you don't even have to go very far to find that authentic French cafe - it is amazing how the masses (of tourists) stick to their stomping grounds! Looking down the Seine towards the Pont Alexander III with the Tour Eiffel in the background.

The 2nd Arrondissement .....

by Lady_Mystique

The 2nd arrondissement... contains the Bourse (the Paris Stock Exchange) and Sentier, the ready-to-wear garment district.

This area is normally not a tourist choice.

It does, however, contain several 19th century glass-roofed "galeries" or "passages"; there are others in the 1st, 9th, and 10th. These passages were originally designed to protect pedestrian shoppers from the mud of the streets.

Signposted bicycle routes

by Nemorino

Eleven signposted bicycle routes are planned for the city of Paris, and two of these are already in place as of June 2007.

Route # 7 starts at the southern edge of Paris, near Porte de Vanves, and goes roughly northeast via Montparnasse, Saint Michel, Châtelet and Gare de l'Est up to Canal de l'Ourcq in the Parc de la Villette in the northeast corner of the city. This route connects with existing regional cycling routes at both ends.

Second and third photos: Route # 7 following bus and bike lanes on the way to Saint Michel.

Fourth and fifth photos: Bicycle route # 2 begins at Porte Dorée in the East, and goes via Gare de Lyon, Châtelet and Concorde to the Arch of Triumph at Place Charles de Gaulle.

Kind French People

by BeatChick

This tip is in an effort to dispel the myth of the "rude French people". Sure, there's bound to be a rude Parisian or two out there - every culture has them, but for the most part I found the French to be extremely kind, helpful, curious about our culture, & very polite.

One of the kindest things that ever happened to me was when I got lost on the RER. I took the WRONG direction! About the time we pulled into the Stade de France stop was when I noticed. I got out looking about me in a very confused fashion. Out on the platform was a lovely French gentleman who could barely speak English yet he helped me get to the other side. I was having trouble conveying to him what went wrong so eventually I just pointed to the other side. He took my hand, walked me down the stairs took me to the other side & pointed me the way. Very kind gentleman & since then I've had a difficult time understanding this stupid stereotype of the rude French people. It's been my experience that they are very kind & willing to help and are especially helpful when I've made the attempt to communicate in their language!

During my trip in 2003, I was doing my best to use my (limited) French. I went to Nectarine, used French to order cafe, s'il vous plait, use the right gestures to get the check (l'addition, s'il vous plait). As I went to pay the bill, a young man told me I was welcome to come back any time in French, which tickled me.

Different folks moved out of the way when I stopped for a photo, others posed most graciously when asked, others complimented me on my efforts to speak French. Another lady saw me taking a photo of a Smart car in the Marais. She discerned I must be American to take a photo of such a silly subject. She inquired "American?" using the English pronunciation. I replied, "Oui, je suis Americain - Etats Unis" using very limited French. She then said "Bravo, l'Americain" at my feeble efforts.

Photos: Feb 06

Pari-Roller: an unpleasant experience

by moirholj

There is an awesome opportunity to see Paris at night by way of rollerblading through the streets with hundreds of people in a huge two hour skate in the middle of the night.

The long and short of my experience was this:
The start point was easy to find and paying the fees to people working the skate was relatively easy once someone started speaking english to me. I was strongly encouraged by the skate worker to by a year membership to the Pari-Roller club so that I would have the coverage of insurance just in case I was hurt on the skate. It was a lot of extra $, but I bought it.

Everything was fine until the skate started and I was at the end of the pack of hundreds of skaters. Skate employees bring up the rear and 'herd' the group down the streets. Because I was at the end (still going very very fast I might add) employees started to yell at me frantically. Speaking only a few 'traveler's phrases' in french I just tried to skate faster to keep up. After much yelling and harassment I asked in french if someone spoke English - all the employees laughed REALLY HARD at me. In the gruffest fashion possible, I was asked to skate to the side and let everyone pass. I thought this was so I would be able to rejoin the group at the next intersection without blocking traffic. But something told me that was not the case when the last skate employee skated right up to my face, waved at my and sarcastically said - "Bye Bye!"

I was kicked out of the skate for being in the end of the pack and not going what they considered to be fast enough. I spent $50 US dollars to skate for 8 minutes and when I was kicked out of the skate I was lost, at night, in a strange city with no way to catch up to the group.

The worst part is that this was my first night in Paris and my first experience interacting with the people of France. I planned for months in advance to take this skate.

I don't want to totally bash it, so I will say, skate if you must, but be sure you are an EXCELLENT and SWIFT skater who speaks a fair amount of french.

Comments