HOTEL KUNTZ

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 2 star hotels

More about Paris

Pay the nice ladyPay the nice lady

Sunset over La SeineSunset over La Seine

Beautiful furniture in the sitting room.Beautiful furniture in the sitting room.

Louvre from the City tour busLouvre from the City tour bus

Place St Michel

by SandiM

Does the fountain light up at night? If so, is it photogenic enough? I will be there in the early morning also (before vendors show up!) to shoot the griffons, but thought I'd go back later at twilight if it was going to be lit prettily at night (does anyone know where I can see a nighttime photo of it?). Also, besides from this fountain and Notre Dame Cathedral, are there other photogenic gargoyles to shoot around Paris? I will be in the areas of the Louvre, Place Corcorde, Sacre Coeur, Notrd Dame, Trocadero, Montparnasse, Arc in my 3 nights there.

by TexasDave

Saint Merri Church has a bunch of gargoyles doubling as downspouts (It's between Hotel de Ville metro stop and the Pompidou Center) as well as Tour St-Jacques, also nearby.

by von.otter

I do not recall that the fountain at Place St. Michel is lit at night. I do not think that it is.

It is possible to climb the towers of Notre-Dame de Paris. You can get close to its gargoyles (dating only from the 19th-century renovation; they are not original) if you climb. Get a Paris Museum pass (http://en.parismuseumpass.com/); it will allow you to move the top of the line waiting to enter the towers of Notre-Dame.

Look at Tour St. Jacques, in the Fourt Arrondissement, for gargoyles. Look at St. Eustache, near Les Halles, in the First Arrondissement; the Church of St. Severin, in the Fifth Arrondissement, has GREAT gargoyles.

Also try the Museum of the Middle Ages (http://www.musee-moyenage.fr/) for gargoyles.

Sacre-Coeur (http://www.sacre-coeur-montmartre.com/) has them; and again you can climb the towers of the basilica to get a closer look.

Good luck on your gargoyle hunt in the City of Light.

by SandiM

Ok my eyes nearly popped out of my head when I googled St Severin church! wow, that's now on my list (the inside is remarkable! Is it always so dark inside though?). Do you know the visiting hours/fee to visit this church? Photography allowed inside (no flash)? And St Merri church looks good for a night photo!

by pfsmalo

Hi,

On St Germain l'Auxerrois there is even one very special gargoyle that has a boule-aux-rats just beneath it. No-one knows the significance of this and there only 4 (four) in all France.
For the fountain, "google" - "fontaine st michel le soir" and then an image search. You'll find a couple of pics in there of the monument illuminated. The statue itself is not but both sides are.

by SandiM

Wow, those are some interesting gargoyles. It was nice to read up on them, and their possible origins!

by SandiM

St Severin help, please! Hi folks I now need the visiting hours for the St Severin church. I've looked at their website but the information is elusive. It tells me that there are GUIDED tours on Saturdays at 530pm however I just want to sneak in there in the early a.m. and snap a few photos (with as few people possible in the photo). Is it possible to gain access in the early a.m.? One of the tips I found on VT was that it was open at 11am.....but can someone confirm who's been there recently? thanks!

Travel Tips for Paris

Metro Stations

by mutlucan

Me and my two friend went to Midest in 2006"fair in Paris Nord - Parc of the exposition.
We had to use Gard du Nord metro station for going to exhibition centre for 4 days.Going to exhibition centre was ok but while we turning from there we had to find the same door for the shortest way to our hotel the trouble starts.We leaved the station from different 4 doors in 4 days but none of them was the true door.

Telecartes

by CALSF

Examples of what telecartes avec code (with PIN code) look like on the reverse:

1) www.iradium.fr

2) Maxicall

For both telecartes you dial a toll-free number. For Maxicall dial the orange toll-free number if dialing from a public phone; dial the second toll-free number shown (in blue) if dialing from a private phone like your hotel's. Listen to the recording, follow the instructions (English is a selection for most telecarte brands, some are French only), dial the number you want to dial.

It's very frustrating when your telecarte has recorded instructions in French only. It took me almost one hour by trial and error to figure out how to place my call.

visit The Louvre, one of the...

by steventilly

visit The Louvre, one of the worlds greatest and most famous art gallieries, home of The Mona Lisa, maybe the worlds most famous painting. I've got to own up and say I've never been in, it's just not my thing! It's a fantastic building from the outside, though, and I even like that Pyramid thing that forms the entrance these days.

Don't expect a smile

by smschley

As an American, I think we expect a certain level of cordiality when meeting people, Either in the workplace or just going down the street we pretty much feel offended if a smile is not given or returned. For many countries in Europe this is just not done and France is one of these. On my first trip to Paris I misunderstood this to be rudeness. Of all the people in Paris I’ve met on our three trips there, I can honestly say I only met one person who was truly rude. That’s probably not much different then in the US. On out last trip it was around midnight and we were having a big problem finding our hotel. A lady saw our distress, asked us what the problem was and proceeded to walk us to out hotel even though it was out of her way.

Comfortable Shoes

by slogdog

Keep it simple. European cars are small and large american bags are hard to fit in the taxis. You will be charged for extra large or heavy bags. You don't need nearly the amount of stuff you think you do. Don't worry about what you wear, anything goes in Paris, except some small details. No baggy jeans worn by any of the youth, American women wear far too much makeup and jewelry and spend too much time on their hair.

Make sure you wear confortable shoes, not white sneakers, but if that is all you have better to be confortable, perhaps shorts if it is really hot. I am 46 and wore shorts and nice shirts and felt at ease. Band Aids for foot blisters, epson salts to soak your feet at night. Lots of Walking in Paris. Go to the pharmacies in Paris, they are very helpful and knowledgeable, most have english speaking staff members, but you can find all you need, also go to the markets if you need tooth paste or other sundry needs.

Comments