55, rue Monge, 05 Arr., Paris, 75005, France

Hotels.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

• BenFromParis's Profile Photo

Hotel residence monge (2 stars, 5th district)

2 stars

If you want to stay in this hotel, choose a room on the arena side, very nice and quite.

fax: +33 (0)1 43 54 47 25

hotel-monge@wanadoo.fr

Métro : Cardinal Lemoine (line 10), Place monge (line 7), Jussieu (line 7)

Directions: Rue Monge, arena, latin district

More about Hotel Acte V

Hotel Monge- a treasure

We loved this hotel. The location was great, it was extremely clean and the room was very quiet. The Room was small but who cares? You don't come to Paris to sit in the room. There are lots of great cafes and restaurants on the Rue Moufettard and it is an easy walk to the Seine and all the sights there. I will definitely be back!

Residence Monge

by oneonta_ni

Most recently we stayed in Hotel Residence Monge. It is, not surprisingly, on rue Monge. It is a 2 star hotel but is one of the nicest I have stayed in.
Around 650 francs per room per night. Breakfast is not included. The hotel staff are very friendly and helpful. They are always cleaning and the place is spotless. The view out the back is of the Arene du Lutece, an ancient Roman amphitheatre. You can watch the locals play petanque or the schoolchildren stop for a quick game of footie on their way to class. It is very quiet but expect to pay a little more for these rooms.

great place for price.

I stayed at Hotel Residence Monge over spring break with my mom. It's a great place. Julie was very friendly and was always willing to help, and there are several fine places to eat dinner or grab a quick baguette on your way to the metro. It's ideally located between the 7 and 10 line. For the price, you couldn't ask for more, clean rooms, fresh linens, and accomodating service. Sure the rooms are somewhat small, but it's Paris, who cares; I mean how much time do you actually spend in your hotel room?!

The Monge!

We selected Hotel Monge based on a personal recommendation, as well as by reading all of the reviews on TripAdvisor. We loved the location--very easy access to 2 metro stops and within walking distance of Notre Dame, Rue Mouffetard, and many shops and bakeries among other sights. We loved the area surrounding the hotel! Julie, the owner was very pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was fine--really all you needed to get the day started---bread, cheese, hot croissants, and hot chocolate. The room was very clean, but really much smaller than I had imagined--I was expecting small, just not this small, and we had a room facing the Arena in the rear. We did find it necessary to wear earplugs to bed on some nights though, because the walls were so thin--you could hear everything. Overall, the hotel was really all we needed while in Paris---after all, we didn't go to Paris to stay in our hotel room.

Can't beat the Monge at this price

by TripAdvisor Member FarAwayTraveler

We had a great stay at the Hotel Monge. For under 100 Euros you really can't beat it. The location is excellent, between two metro stops (they are doing some work on the 7 line but they only shut that stop after 8:30PM during construction). Rue Mouffetard is only 2 minutes away and it's wonderful. The walk to Notre Dame is about 10 minutes. We used the metro/RER to and from CDG airport. Be aware that when switching from the Metro to the RER you have to walk a few hundred meters. A rolling duffell is advisable.

The room was small as expected. With the windows shut you cannot hear street noise. Believe me there are lots of motor scooters at all hours! We were able to use the air conditioner and set it at a normal room temperature. Complete bliss. The bathroom was clean but the showerhead was difficult to manage It didn't want to stay in place. Not much of a complaint.

Breakfast consists of baguette and croissant with butter or jam or fromage and yoghurt. The hot chocolate was great. Do not expect omlettes or hot foods.

Spend a full day at the Louvre. Spend another at the Orsay. My favorite experience was visiting Saint Chapel. Everyone goes to Notre Dame but walk an extra 2 minutes to see the finest stained glass in the world.

A great find in Paris

Stayed at Hotel Monge in late July. I loved this place. The staff is so friendly and helpful; you should feel very comfortable speaking english here. Other things: Great neighborhood feel, Metro stop is Monge, rooms have A/C and mini bar, and there's also an elevator. Don't miss the farmers market at the metro stop and the roman ampitheater behind the hotel. Avoid 6th floor rooms which are hot in summer. Also try the Iron Bell (Irish Pub) in the neighborhood. This hotel is a terrific value for Paris.

Great place!

I recently stayed at Hotel Monge and selected it based upon reviews I read here.

What I liked most about the hotel is that it was clean, newly renovated, and had a good location in the Latin Quarter, just a short walk from Notre Dame.

Yes, the room is small and the bathroom and shower are even smaller, but I appreciate the cleanliness and the new tiles...the size isn't too important to me vs. the cleanliness. If you are a tall or large person, the shower may be too tight for you because it's very narrow. I'm only 5 ft tall and it was tight for me.

Julie was nice and helpful in hailing taxis and giving directions. Another nice plus is being able to make international phone calls directly with a calling card and no extra charge.

The neighborhood was pleasant and seemed more residential than touristy. We didn't eat breakfast at the hotel, but enjoyed delicious croissants at a bakery down the street by the Cardinal Lemoine Metro Stop.

It's convenient to be near two Metro stops since one of our stops was closed one evening so that gave us a second route to return on.

I don't know why this hotel only received a 2 star rating because it should definitely be a 3 star.

Two weaknesses, but not that important: the bathroom towels are extremely thin and the tv only has a few stations.

I would be happy to stay at the Hotel Monge again in the future and gladly recommend it to anyone--the room rate is excellent for what you get.

My "Cosy Nest" on the Left Bank

by TripAdvisor Member Lanai

I recently returned from a week's stay at Hotel Residence Monge (March 2004). I first heard about "The Monge" at a European travel seminar about a year before our trip. It never gets a mention in any of the guide books, but the seminar leaders raved about the cleanliness, convenience and location. I was curious and skeptical. While doing some research online, I found this site and decided to see how well it rated. Quite highly! And I agree. This was our first trip to Europe and we are a budget travelers, as in, not backpackers or luxury seekers.
This "cosy nest" of a 2-Star fit our needs perfectly. My family (2 sisters and a nephew) and I reserved 2 twin-bed rooms. We found them clean, comfortable and a good size by Parisian standards. The bathrooms were sparkling clean and seemed very new. There was no shower curtin but I made out OK without one. Breakfast is not included, but is reasonably priced, convenient, and delicious. You get acroissant, petite breads, butter, jam, cheeses, yogurt and your choice of coffee, tea, or the most fabulous hot chocolate ever. Julie, the owner/manager, was very helpful and efficient -- calling taxis and recommending restaurants and outings, etc. She is always cleaning, perhaps bit obsessively. Warning: there is a minibar stocked with cold drinks, but "there is no eating allowed in the rooms!". You are welcome to use the breakfast room for indoor picnics. It was a good value and we plan to be among the many repeat guests

April in Paris

by oneonta_ni

"Day 1"

We arrived in Paris from Dublin via Beauvais. This is the most convenient way to get to Paris from Ireland as there is a coach which goes from Beauvais to Paris (Porte Maillot). It takes literally 5 mins to get from the plane, through passport control and to get on the coach. The journey from Beauvais to Paris is about 1 hour through the countryside. The coach costs around 100francs return and stops at the James Joyce Pub. From there it is a few mins walk to the Metro.

We got settled into our hotel - Hotel Monge on rue Monge, overlooking the Arene de Lutece, an ancient Roman arena. The hotel was really lovely and very clean. The room was larger than most Parisian hotels and had a view out the back of the Arena. There was a tv with CNN news and the bed had pretty floral sheets on it instead of the usual white.

After we got settled, we went off to see if our favourite restaurant was still there. We had been told previously that it was gone but we did not want to believe it. Unfortunately, it was. It is now a kebab shop - well, nearly. We were then faced with trying to find a nice restaurant for the weekend.

That evening we tried a restaurant that was recommended by someone GF works with. Chez Henri is located on rue de la Montagne Ste Genevieve, near rue Saint Germain. The restaurant is typically French and the staff were pleasant. For starters, GF had the chevre chaud which was served in garlic olive oil and with chopped olives. I had the salmon blinis. Main course was steak with shallots for GF and duck breast with a honey and pine nut sauce for me. GF had the tarte au framboise and I had the creme brulee (I know - very predictable but the French do it best!).

"Day 2"

We decided to go to the Marche au Temple but on the way stopped off at the market at Place Monge, near our hotel. This market is the typical type that you find in every neighbourhood in Paris. It has fresh fruit and vegetables, meats, cheeses, sewing notions, fabrics and sometimes homemade soaps and other goodies.

From Place Monge we took the Metro to the Temple stop and found the Market. Unfortunately, there was very little there - only one vendor selling expensive leather jackets. This may have been because it was Good Friday but I have never been there when the market is open so I don't know if there is really much to it anyway. Nearby, we visited the church of Ste Elisabeth. It is a dark and gloomy church but there is some nice stained glass.

Since the market wasn't up to much we decided to spend the rest of the day in Saint Denis. This is a small village just outside of Paris but it is still part of Paris (Metro: Saint Denis Basilique). Be sure to get a train going the right direction as the line splits. The metro stop is very close to the beautiful basilica of Saint Denis, where all the kings and queens of France are buried. We stopped in the first patisserie we saw and bought sandwiches and drinks, then headed to a small peaceful park near the basilica and had our lunch. Then we toured the basilica. This is one of the most important Gothic cathedrals in Europe as it is the one which started the Gothic style. Be sure to go down in the crypt to see some beautiful stained glass and the remains of a Roman cemetary, on which the basilica is built.

In the centre of the village there was a market, similar to the one at Place Monge so we had a wander around it. The people were very friendly and helpful. There were some other good bargain shops nearby. (And we all know GF loves a bargain!)

For dinner that night we went to a restaurant that we had been to several years ago - Chez L'ami Jean. This is a traditional Basque restaurant with the emphasis on homestyle cooking. It is near rue St Dominique (Metro: Ecole Militaire). For starters, GF had a duck pate with a rabbit terrine and I had a plate of sliced chorizo with butter. For main courses, GF had the paella Valencia and I had the duck with green peppercorn sauce. Dessert was rice cake for GF and I had the Basque cake. It was a very enjoyable meal and three courses cost about 460francs, including wine for both of us.

Since the restaurant is very close to the Eiffel Tower and since it wasn't raining (yet) we walked over to see the tower. VT member Kiki had told me that the tower was lit up every night for 5 mins between dusk and 1am (I think). When we got there, the tower was all lit up but I did not realise what Kiki meant until later. The line for tickets was horrendously long and this was 10pm. I'm sure some people waited more than 2 hours - I know I wouldn't! We decided to go to the other side of the tower to take some more photos and walked towards the Palais de Chaillot. There was a huge crowd there and we wondered why. GF had just set up the tripod when the crowd started to cheer - then we looked at the Tower! It was all a sparkle with thousands of twinkling lights! It was really pretty to see but unfortunately, the camera was on the wrong setting...

"Day 3"

We decided that since it was absolutely pouring down rain, we would go to a museum. We had tried to go to L'Orangerie last year but when we arrived (after getting soaked in a downpour) we found a sign saying the museum was closed until May 1999. (We were there in March). So we set out again. And after getting soaked in a downpour, we arrived at the museum to find a sign saying it was closed until December 02. Deja vu. All I can say is that it better be worth it when we do get there!

Since I collect vintage postcards and since Paris is the place to find them, we then headed to Forum des Halles where there is a large postcard market. Usually. But not today - possibly because of the Easter holidays. So no postcards, either. We then had a bit of a dander around different streets that we like and the rain eased up.

For dinner, we decided to try a restaurant recommended by Kiki, after all, he's from Paris so he should know! We headed to the Bastille area and looked for Restaurant Bofinger and discovered there are two of them. One is more the traditional restaurant and the other, Petit Bofinger was a more casual place. We liked the atmosphere in Petit Bofinger and decided to try it. For starters, I had a delicious tarte tomates - goats cheese wrapped in tomatoes. GF had a plate of oysters. For main course GF went for something that sounded really interesting and turned out to be steak and chips! I had a nice tuna steak with seasonal veggies. Dessert was tarte tatin for me and GF had a kind of chocolate cake with a soft centre which was served with pistachio ice cream. The meal cost 368 francs for both of us, including water and a 1/2 bottle of wine.

"Day 4 Easter Sunday"

We had decided long ago that we would be going to mass in St Etienne du Mont (Metro:Cardinal Lemoine). We were here last year and thought the music was fantastic. There is a large organ but the music is not your typical bland hymns - it is more like what you would hear at Phantom of the Opera. At the end of the service, a large number of people usually stay until the music is finished and give the organist a well deserved round of applause. I think this church is really beautiful; the area around the pulpit and altar is marble carved in sweeping arches overhead. This is where St Genevieve is buried, too.

Since it was not only Sunday but Easter Sunday, we knew there would not be much to do other than go for a walk. We went to St Sulpice (Metro: Mabillon) which is famous for having the largest organ in Europe. We got there in the middle of a mass but I was not impressed with the music. The church itself is large, dark and gloomy.

Next we thought we would try a couple of museums. We headed to the Musee Carnavalet which is apparently a couple 17th century homes. It was closed for the holidays - much to the dismay of many tourists, who registered their complaints on the makeshift sign informing us about the closure. So we headed to Musee Picasso. Unfortunately, so did everyone else and the line was out the door, into the courtyard, snaking around out the main gate and around the corner of the building. We decided we weren't all that interested in Picasso anyway.

We then headed to Ile de Louis. This is a nice place for a wander as it is on the Seine and there are some nice older homes and shops along here, most of which date back to the days when Notre Dame was built. The guidebooks tell you to go to an ice cream shop called Berthillon, number 44 I think. There is always a long line here, although they do have a good choice of ice cream flavours. If you prefer a shorter line, turn left after you go over the bridge and go to Estramina. They have nearly the same number of flavours and it is the same ice cream. My favourite flavours are cinnamon and any berry flavours. GF had a gorgeous passionfruit one, too.

That night we were at a loose end for dinner. If worst came to worst, we would go back to Chez Henri, but we really wanted someplace different. We wandered around the Ste Etienne du Mont area and thought about a few places. Then we found Le Petit Prince de Paris! We could tell by the menu that it would be similar to our long lost restaurant so we were very eager to try it. We went in early and were told we could have a table if we were out by 9pm as we did not have reservations. The staff were very friendly and the atmosphere is just right for a cosy meal. We weren't disappointed in the food either: Starters were sauteed mushrooms for GF and I had a courgette and scallop thing (sort of all pureed and formed into a square). For main course, GF had rabbit fried in garlic and I had the duck with a sort of green puree - possibly spinach. For dessert, GF had rhubarb crumble and I had lemon puff pastries. The dishes were a bit difficult to describe but they were very tasty! The wine was a little on the expensive side but there were a couple of bottles at a reasonable price. Address: 12 rue Lanneau Phone: 01.43.54.77.26 Metro:Maubert Mutualite

Overall, we really enjoyed the meal and the atmosphere and booked a table for the next night.

"Day 5"

Since today was a bank holiday, we knew there would not be much open. But since the sun was shining (at last) we decided to do a tour of Parisian parks. First, we headed to Parc Georges Brassens which is south of Paris. (Metro: Convention) This is the kind of park which makes me wish I was about 10 years old again. It is fairly modern and has loads of spaces to explore. There were different play areas, including a climbing area. The paths went from a lower area with lots of flowers to a higher area shaded by trees. It looked perfect for a morning run. There was even a herb garden for the blind and a puppet theatre. (Public Toilets - 2francs)

We then headed to Parc Monceau (Metro:Monceau) This was the opposite of Georges Brassens. This park was built in the 18th century and had more formal features. There were some unusual follies and even a rollerskating area, complete with rolling families. There were also tired looking ponies giving rides to crying children. It was a nice place for relaxing and peoplewatching. (Public Toilets 2 francs but you need a token from the attendant).

For dinner, we headed back to Le Petit Prince. GF had the snails for a starter and they were quite unusual. They were served in a shallow dish with what appeared to be a sort of onion sauce. I had asparagus in pastry. GF had turbot in orange and grapefruit sauce for main course and I had lamb which was served on a pile of ratatouille and had goats cheese melting on top - really delicious! For dessert, GF had a selection of sorbets served in vodka and I had white and dark chocolate mousse with creme de menthe sauce. MMmm....

"Last Day"

The shops were open and we still had money to burn so we headed for La Samaritaine! This is an interesting department store which advertises a great view from the restaurant on the top floor. Unfortunately, the menu was so bland that we weren't even interested in the view. It was a fun place to explore, though. The music section is the best I have seen - if you want to listen to any cd they sell, just lift the headphones and scan the bar code. They also had a good craft section where I found some nice beads for my newest project!

We couldn't leave Paris without buying a crepe with Nutella. GF and I munched away on that as we looked for a place to sit. We found a nice little park just off Pont Neuf - Square du Vert Galant.

We had some time before our departure from the James Joyce and decided to eat an early dinner at a Leon de Bruxelles near the pub. This was a mistake! The food wasn't too bad - the restaurant is a chain so we weren't expecting much. But the service was dismal and the staff obviously didn't like their jobs. We might go an try one of these restaurants elsewhere but I would not recommend this one.

The food is basically mussels and chips, mussels and chips or mussels and chips. They cook the mussels in different sauces and they are served with chips. You also get a basket of bread to soak up the sauce. Desserts were rather bland and they were out of the creme brulee.

We ate in another restaurant in this area several years ago but I don't remember the name. It was a greasy spoon and the only time we have had food in Paris that we wondered if we would get poisoned! Maybe there are good restaurants in the area but we have not found them yet!

Back to Dublin, and more rain...

Hotel: ACTE V PARIS (former Hotel Residence Monge)

by cssr98

My husband and I will be in Paris for 2 1/2 days in June. We are looking for a clean hotel in a convenient location to sites and metro.

Has anyone stayed here? good/bad?
What do you think of the location?

Thanks!

by risamay

I have never stayed a that hotel but I can recommend the Caron de Beaumarchais in the Marais. Great location and cozy little boutique hotel. Rates start at 130 Euro per night.

by Pomerol

Looks like a winner acccording to Trip Advisor. See for yourself

by MadAboutParis

Oui, oui, that hotel does look very nice but IMHO it is not an optimum location for a short visit like yours. I adore the area around the Caron de Beaumarchais - it's a super location. We stayed on one of our trips near Hotel CdB at the Hotel Vieux Marais - I would stay there again:
And speaking of the Trip Advisor rankings, these 2 hotels are in great locations and worth consideration:
Hotel Valadon #9 & Hotel de Londres Eiffel #36
Good luck and have a great trip!
Mary

by Paris92

I've never stayed there, but I used to live in the area and absolutely loved it. That said, even I would take something in the Marais district over it any day of the week and I agree that it would put you closer to the center of the city. Plus, the Monge metro stop can feel a little isolated and dark at night.

Comments