Rue La Fayette 20, Paris, 75009, France
Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 21% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Paris

I always put a map on the wall, to track out movesI always put a map on the wall, to track out moves

Velo-Taxi, ParisVelo-Taxi, Paris

Fountain of River Commerce and NavigationFountain of River Commerce and Navigation

Statue to the right.Statue to the right.

Several Random Questions

by QuisquoseQuique

Hi there,

I'll be in Paris in December and I wonder anyone can help me with the following questions -

1) Will the market (not a Christmas market) in Antony be open on Tuesday 28 December? If I remember correctly, the Antony market is only open on Tuesdays, but since Tuesday 28 December is the first Tuesday after Christmas, I'm not sure if it will be open. (I want to go back to the Antony market to buy something specific. I was there in June 2010).

2) I have a Passe Navigo Découverte for zone 1 & 2, but need to travel to Saint-Germain-en-Laye, which I believe is in zone 4. Do I need to buy a regular return ticket (ticket t+) from Paris (€3.80), or is their a way to load the difference between zone 2, 3 and 4 onto my Passe Navigo Découverte?

3) I wish to buy a pay-as-you-go SIM card for my iPhone when I’m in Paris. Does anyone know of a service provider that offers a good deal on pay-as-you-go SIM cards? I’m particularly interested in charges for data roaming. Data roaming is very expensive when abroad, but if I have a local SIM card, it might be cheaper. Also, what is the correct phrase or translations for pay-as-you-go in French?

4) Is there a laundromat (laverie automatique) within a 10 - 15 minute radius (on foot or metro) from Malesherbes or Wagram? I've used the PagesJaunes to do a search, but I'm finding it difficult to figure out if the results are referring to dry-cleaners only. I'm looking for a laverie automatique.

Many thanks,
QQ

Re: Several Random Questions

by pfsmalo

Hi, Last question first. It seems that the closest to your area that I've found is : La Belle Laverie at 34 rue Turin 75008. This is situated just off Blvd Batignolles, halfway between metro stops Rome and place Clichy, not too far from Malesherbes.
The Antony market is open , Tues, Thurs, Sunday 7.30 to 13.30. There is no reason why it won't be open. The 26th is not a holiday in France, and also in France, unlike the UK, bank holidays that fall a w/end do not carry over to the Monday, so 99.9% it will be open. Your problem may be that the stall you're looking for may not be there, sometimes the people who are there for the summer are not there in winter.
Sorry can't help with the 'phone or Navigo, have never used them.

Re: Several Random Questions

by QuisquoseQuique

Many thanks for your reply and the info, pfsmalo. The laverie in rue Turin (75008) will be just fine. I really appreciate you finding it for me.

I'm still in two minds about going to the market Antony. I might trek out there just to discover the vendor is on holiday (which wil be well deserved).

From what I gather, I will have to buy a seperate ticket to go to Saint-Germain-en-Laye.

Travel Tips for Paris

Green Paris

by Rupanworld

My fondest memory from the trip to Paris was the breathtaking beauty of the greenery around. Perhaps I was just in the right time of the year there or perhaps that's so typical of the beautiful city. All around there were parks, gardens and trees and I loved to be there.

Walt Disney Paris

by catnl

I have been to France several times to different places.
Last time i went to the Euro Walt Disney park!
I had a fantastic time with lots of friends, stayed in the park itself in a great hotel called
The Newport Bay, a very luxury hotel, great food and on walking distance from the attractions:-)

more info Transportation to Walt Disney- Paris

Notre Dame Cathedral

by jrs1234

The Cathedral of Notre Dame is right at the heart of Paris, and it's definitely worth a visit. It's a huge building which dates back to the 1100s, and even if you're not interested in the religious aspects, the architecture is a treat. Please try to be quiet while you're going around, of course.

Admission to the main part of the building is free, although donations are naturally welcome and encouraged. It's open from 8am to 6.45pm daily (closing an hour later at weekends). There's more information on the cathedral website (click here).

The nearest metro to the cathedral is Cite, but it's a nice place to visit in the middle of a walk, too.

Extremely nice!!!

by Manyana

Before I flew to Paris, my brain was full of all these BSs that the french were rude and unfriendly people, who *hate* to speak in english. It was very unlikely!!! The minute we stepped on the Parisian soil, these two gentlement offered to show us our way and carry our bags, 'in english',lol

When one of them asked me where I was from, i said i travelled from london. he was slightly struck but i comforted him that i was saudi arabian. then he made me laugh loudly when he said, 'cause the english don't like anyone', loool.

Almost everyone we met was friendly and trying their efforts to be helpful even when conversing in french. surprisingly i've found quite a few who spoke english very well!

believe me the french are quite nice and easygoing, very warmhearted...it's ok to speak english but just don't be too english,lol

The Paris "Shell Game"

by shrimp56

Now that I have your attention -- one of the things I enjoy about the architectural decoration in Paris is the many ways a similar motif is used to decorate a building's facade -- in this case the scallop shell, which is traditionally a symbol of welcome to pilgrims. Which makes sense as one of the pilgrimage trails led to Paris.
And I bet you thought the next tip would be about 3 card monte right?

Comments