Hotel Belloy Saint Germain

Hotel Belloy Saint-Germain
Hotels.com Booking.com Agoda.com

Costs 69% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Best Western Hotel Belloy Saint Germain

Be very careful with room choice if you stay here

After returning from our trip through Europe, I thought I should re-read the reviews that supported our choice of the Belloy St Germain - because it was the worst hotel of our entire trip - by a long shot. Admittedly it was only 3 stars, but by Australian standards it was certainly not a 3 star hotel.

I have come to the conclusion it was the room that we were given. This hotel lines two streets, yet we managed to get the only room on the floor with a window that faced the internal fire escape. No balcony or quaint street front for us, which was a shame given that we were here for 4 nights - one of which was our 10th Wedding Anniversary. We asked immediately if we could change and were told "no", we asked if we could pay extra to upgrade to a better standard room and were also told a flat "no". There was no concern shown about our disappointment in the room at all. Customer service lessons definitely required.

The room or should I say closet is very quaint, clean enough but we couldn't stand being in it. Fortunately we had lots to see in and around Paris that kept us out of it. The bath had no screen and a hand held shower head. Unless you wanted to flood the bathroom this meant sitting in a cold tub trying to wash yourself with your one free hand. Our safe and bar fridge both didn't work and there was no inclination by reception staff to have them seen to.

One a more positive note, the location of the hotel is very good. Right in the heart of the Latin Quarter, restaurants in every direction. We would recommend the Marco Polo only a couple of blocks away- so good we went 2 nights in a row. Notre-Dame, the Seine, the Met and the Luxembourg gardens are all an easy stroll away.

If you stay here - and I would seriously consider staying at a 4 star instead - be specific about your room ask for one facing the street and upgrade to a larger room if possible.

Great Centrally Located Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member kgmaycow

My mother, aunt and I found ourselves unexpectedly needing last-minute hotel rooms in Paris in June 2006. After checking unsuccessfully with a number of lower priced hotels, we were finally able to secure to connecting rooms (a family room or suite) at the Belloy St. Germain. Although we had paid rates above the rack rate, we were not expecting much, and were thrilled when we arrived in our rooms to find that they were obviously among those that had been renovated in 2006. The style was very warm and welcoming, with brand new lovely fabrics, carpeting and paint. Our twin room faced the street (Rue Racine) and had doors that opened to a mini-balcony. The connecting room was even prettier, but faced an inner courtyard. In addition to the prettier room, the compensations for this lack of a view were a nicer bathroom and complete absence of street noise (which was an issue in our room since the hotel is located facing the very busy Boulevard St. Michel). The hotel offers breakfast for 13 euros, which is overpriced but worth the convenience (offered are rolls, croissants, cereals, eggs, yogurt, fruit juices and coffee). The location is excellent, being within a block of the St. Michel metro, three blocks to the Seine and four/five to Notre Dame. The quality of the front desk staff varied widely, from very helpful to barely civil, but we managed. I would definitely stay here again. given the location and the pretty rooms.

Clean, Safe, Well-Appointed, Wonderful staff

by TripAdvisor Member MightyPen

I stayed here from March 13-20, 2007 and I give this hotel very high recommendations. We booked through Heart-of-Paris.com and got a great rate (avg. $150/nite). First, it is in a wondeful neighborhood. It's near the Sorbonne, and the areas of St. Michel/St. Germain have a wonderful mix of shops, cafes, restaurants and general "stroll-ability." Second, it is centrally located near the Metro stations and will get you to whatever it is you want to see in Paris quickly.

The rooms are small, like you would expect in Paris, but clean and well-appointed with bathroom included. Beds are comfortable and our room had a balcony where I sat frequently after a long day of walking and enjoyed a glass of wine and people-watched. Even though our room faced the front of the hotel on Rue Racine, we were not distrubed by traffic. Breakfast is not included at this location and at 13 Euro, I would skip it. There are numerous cafes in the vicinity that are cheaper.

Finally, the staff was very helpful, especially the morning person named Samir. He speaks at least three languages and was very patient with all of our travel requests, and very accurate. He has good people skills and goes above and beyond to solve problems. Our group had a few challenges, from telephone issues to physical illness and he pretty much helped us resolve every problem we had. The evening staff is also very helpful and gave us some great restaurant recommendations. I highly recommend the Belloy St. Germain. It is comfortable, safe, clean, reasonably priced and in a wonderful neighborhood. I would definitely stay there again.

Charming Hotel in Perfect Location

by TripAdvisor Member dinula

I booked the Belloy based on reviews on TripAdvisor and it turned out to be a great choice. The hotel is absolutely charming, with very helpful staff. We had a wonderful room - very comfortable with a terrace off the bathroom (a little weird, but it's Paris!) Plenty of hot water in the shower, comfortable bed, and enough storage space for a suitcase and clothing. We even had a working air conditioner (a rare thing in Europe). But you are in Paris, you shouldn't be spending much time in the room anyway!!

If you are planning to say here, don’t waste your money on a taxi from the airport. The metro is only 2 or 3 blocks away and it saves you a ton of money - not to mention it's actually faster. And don’t expect many great food choices around the hotel. Especially if you are looking for authentic French food. It's mostly offerings geared toward college kids/tourists. Walk a few blocks to Saint-Germain-des-Prés - it's worth it. Cafe de Flore is a must!

Disappointing

We booked this hotel after reading favorable reviews on Trip Advisor, but when we arrived in the late morning, the lobby floor was in need of attention and was filled with cigarette smoke. We never got to the room - they had a leak that required them to move us, fortunately to a very nice small hotel nearby.

Nice hotel in a fantastic location

by TripAdvisor Member Fimum

We were very happy with this hotel. The staff were helpful and friendly and had excellent english. The rooms were small, but beautifully renovated and clean. We were surprised at how quiet the hotel was given the very central location on a busy street. We heard nothing from the other guests and it was a fairly busy time.
We ate breakfast at the hotel only once, we discovered a gorgeous little patisserie down the street called the Pattiserie Viennoise, that was better value.
My only negative comment is that we did find a similar hotel in the same location for about 40 Euro less per night, admittedly it was not quite as recently renovated.

No sleep!

by TripAdvisor Member rosieaway

Yes, this hotel is very well located, and it looks perfectly fine from the outside/reception but our room was a different story - it was small (but OK by Paris standards) and the duvet covers were torn. We could have lived with that but it was the noisy air conditioner/heater that made it unbearable. We alerted reception to the constant dripping it was making, so they said they'd turned it off but about every half-hour right through the night it made the loudest most disturbing cranking noises – making sleep impossible. Reception were no help saying "there is no technician here" and getting quite terse. I'd advise you to book elsewhere.

Very noisy and a little bit dated

by TripAdvisor Member Mahlwerk

We originally booked the Best Western Jardin de Cluny - but when we arrived they told us they had problems with their water supply and have to send us to the Belloy where we would get a room. When we arrived the staff at the reception did not say a word when checking us in - he just gave us the keycard and started to look into his newspaper again - lousy, indeed. The room size was ridiculous - but as mentioned before this is quite normal in Paris. The furniture in the room was really dated. But overall the room was clean as was the bathroom (also very small, but with a window). In the night it was very noisy from Blvd. Saint Michel next to the hotel. As all rooms are somehow facing the street you will experience this level of noise in every room. No chance to sleep when the window is open. In addition the walls seemed not to be soundproof at all and the lift next to our room didn't make it more quiet either. However, the location is excellent. As we only paid 84 euros per night/room we could live with the result. But Best Western Jardin de Cluny would have been much better as it was renovated shortly.

"Scary, disrespectful"

by TripAdvisor Member kkismoi

I stepped out for a bite to eat and left the "Do Not Disturb" sign hanging on my door, something I always do when I travel alone. When I walked into the lobby after my dinner, the front desk clerk actually groaned and told me that one of his colleagues was in my room. When I asked why, he said to "clean" it. It was nearly 7:00 PM, and a bit late for that, and more importantly, my request for 'Do Not Disturb" was blatantly ignored. I had just checked into the hotel the day before, the room had plenty of towels, and was not dirty. When the painfully slow elevator finally got me up to the room, THE DOOR HAD BEEN PROPPED OPEN, BUT NO ONE WAS THERE. I tried to call the front desk, but no one answered. After a few minutes a man appeared to give me a couple of towels. He seemed very ill at ease, and I got a terribly odd feeling -like I was interrupting something. He claimed to not speak English, and my French was not good enough to communicate with him in my frustrated state. So I went back downstairs to complain to the front desk. They were extremely arrogant and made ridiculous statements like, "It is what we do all the time. We check and clean everyone's room." When I asked why they even have the "Do Not Disturb" signs, he ignored me. It was not only the front desk clerk, it was also another man who claimed to be the manager. They both contemptuously waved me off with their hands. I have never had an experience like it before, and it was very SCARY. Their attitudes were just horrible, and no one apologized. The safe in the room did not work, someone was "cleaning" my room at 7:00 PM even though I had requested privacy, the two behind the front desk were so haughty and disdainful when confronted, you can draw your own conclusions. I pushed furniture up against the door that night and left the next day.
Attempts to contact the Best Western chain have failed.
Additionally, the bed was more like a futon - no mattress or box spring, and I did not sleep well with it.
I was on the 6th, the top floor, and the tiny elevator, which moves at Parade Speed, was only able to fit two people comfortably.
The only other elevator stopped at the 5th floor. I was genuinely concerned that in case of fire, all who were on the top floor would not get out safely.
There are many, many hotels in this same location to choose from, and there are many other great locations to choose from in all of Paris. Choose another hotel.
Paris is a beautiful city, and most Parisians are friendly, helpful, and accommodating.

Fantastic location, friendly staff and ideal for Paris

by TripAdvisor Member dapydoo2

Spent a long weekend in Paris in mid feb and had a fantastic time. The location of the hotel cannot be beaten if you are looking at the Left bank. Only a couple of minutes walk from St Michel RER / metro which is just 2 stops from Eurostar and on the same line as Charles de Gaulle Airport.

Staff are very friendly and great traditional Parisien decor. Rooms are typical size for Paris which to Americans read small and to Europeans are average, but extremely clean and comfortable.

Had a memorable time and would recommend it to anyone.

Latin Quarter

by andre01

Thanks a lot for the replies earlier.

Please suggest a nice hotel in the Latin Quarter (US$150-200).

Thanks once again.

Re: Latin Quarter

by venice13

After you are done looking at hotels, if you are going to be there for a bit, I suggest possibly an apartment. I think the hotels in Paris are expensive and small.

I say this, because I did a ton of research on many different hotels in or around the Latin Quarter. None of them looked that great for the price asked. So, I looked into apartments to find they are less money and a LOT nicer.

I wound up renting one on the Il De La Cite on the Seine for less than the so-so hotel I was going to originally book.

Re: Latin Quarter

by JLBG

Hotel Belloy should fit you perfectly. I have been often there, it is very well situated, not too expensive and comfortable.

Hotel Belloy Saint Germain, 2, rue Racine, 75006 Paris