Hotel Carlton's Paris

Hotel Carlton's
Hotels.com Travelocity Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about Paris

Just like a houseJust like a house

Statue in Jardin du Luxembourg, Nov 2010Statue in Jardin du Luxembourg, Nov 2010

street scene - typical - June 21 eveningstreet scene - typical - June 21 evening

58 rue des Archives, 1st.58 rue des Archives, 1st.

ParisCanal St. Martin Canal evening "Atmosphere" cruise

by emmweb

Has anyone been on the "new" (I don't know how new) ParisCanal Atmosphere tour which leaves Bassin de la Villette at 6pm or Marina Arsenal at 9pm? I have read very conflicting reviews of the St Martin canal tours but am still interested in this one and wonder if it's really worth our time/money. I believe it's a summer-only tour. Thanks! Erin

by tango_jd

Bookmark.

(I want to do the trip but in daytime so i can see the Park de La Villette and then walk to the Park de Buttes then back along th eraised gardens/arches)

by Elisabcn

Hello,
I live in that area and in these days it gets dark very soon, the weather by the canal is cold and very humid and the atmosphear (not a lot of people around) a little sad at night.
Why don't you just walk along the Canal at daytime?
Canal de Saint Martin is a beautiful walk and like this you can stop anytime that you want for taking pictures or just for a coffee.

Best,
Elisa

by tominvb

We have sailed the canal once with a lunch purchaased from the street market and a lovely red. As two still young at heart seniors we enjoyed ourselves very much. We sat in the very first row and set our "table" on the ships bow plate. We got many "wish we had thought of that" looks.

Enjoy

Travel Tips for Paris

Edicules Guimard.

by pfsmalo

Unfortunately, there are now only three of Hector Guimards decorative metro entrances standing that have the glass roof left.
This one is at the Abbesses station (line 12) in Montmartre (which also happens to be the deepest metro station in Paris), having been situated originally at Hotel de Ville station. The other two are at Porte Dauphine (line 2) and the Sainte Opportune exit of Chatelet (lines 1, 4, 7, 11, 14 and RER).
There are now 87 of the original constructions left. The major number being as in the 2nd photo of Reaumur-Sebastopol.

Whilst we are talking metro, the 3rd photo here shows the only metro station I know that has no name on it!!!!! It is in fact the entrance to Monge station in rue de Navarre, about 20 metres from the entrance into the Lutece arena.

The 4th photo shows a Guimard shelter, but this one on the front of the "Mutuelle Generale des Cheminots, the top-up insurance for railway workers. It is at 2/4 plave G. Henocque Paris 13th.

I have visited Paris on many...

by lainew

I have visited Paris on many occasions and every time I come back enriched. It is so hard to pick a single thing that someone who has never been there should do. If I was taking someone for the first time, the first thing I would do would be to take them onto the river and cruise up and down to get their bearings. Then I'd work my way around the most important sites, probably starting with the Eiffel Tower so that I could point out all the other places we were going to go!! I miss its soul.

Parisians..of course.. smooching Parisians

by Norali

Walking in Paris and not finding Parisians? Unbelievable. Yet, since I was there during summer, I rather noticed the tourists.

But Parisians were there, on Trocadero, in cafés, in terrasses, in the streets. They like cafés ... Oh, I understood why.. evenings were hot and days were long. So, be they Juilletistes or Aoûtistes, they have to have some nightlife somewhere, while waiting for the near departure or just returning from holiday trips. Only tourists would spend holidays in Paris, obvious no?

At that time, before this globalization thingy, I could distinguish Parisians from tourists. First, their French..haha.. bravo Norali. Well, their typical accent was so contagious that even in Madagascar, we got used to it. Second, their attire... Even in hot summer, Parisian ladies managed to appear fresh, with a bit of make-up, with the right attire... no too holiday-ish, not too chic.. Just the right set to suit all circumstances in a day. There were rightly dressed for both working hours, some time at Galeries Lafayette, some moments catching a bit of sun at the end of afternoon, for the diner with friends... Would say, there should be some balance somewhere. Not too sporty, not "too much". That was about the ladies.. but about youngsters... There was some kind of a shock walking in the streets, and especially in parks.

I was not that prudish but seeing youngsters kissing and cuddling everywhere was strange to me. Coming from a country where people were not tactile at all, it was unusual. I knew it was (is) common in Europe, I had seen that in films but still... I was not used to it.

Simply put, PDAs are not Malagasy's forte. At that time, you could only notice a couple when the guy and the girl are walking hand in hand in Tana streets, in some parks somewhere at the end of the afternoon... when it's getting dark. :) Yet, we are a very smiling people.

Of course, I was curious... And when there was not any family around, I used to stare at the smooching couples... They didn't mind. I was a little kid among others, just browsing around. :) And they, well.. they were busy.

"... C'est si bon
De partir n'importe ou,
Bras dessus, bras dessous,
En chantant des chansons.
C'est si bon
De se dire des mots doux,
Des petits rien du tout
Mais qui en disent long.

En voyant notre mine ravie
Les passants, dans la rue, nous envient.
C'est si bon
De guetter dans ses yeux
Un espoir merveilleux
Qui donne le frisson.
C'est si bon,
Ces petit's sensations.
Ça vaut mieux qu'un million,
Tell'ment, tell'ment c'est bon..."

Were they only Parisians? Didn't know that at that time but I guess tourists did smooch too. :-)

French Children are Fine Diners

by petronios

While enjoying our long luxurious Parisian dinner, the host seated a husband and wife with two children next to us. As the evening progressed, my 17 year old daughter and I were acutely draw to observe the children’s “dining style.” With perfect posture the siblings were passionately conversing with their parents as they dined on an adult meal complete with appetizers, veal, vegetables, potatoes, and dessert. The children were lustfully savoring and contemplating each and every bite. I was prepared for the French food habits, but I had no idea French children were so different from their American counterparts. This love and respect for food in Paris seems to be keeping everyone fit and beautiful, including the children.

Parisiens being rude is a...

by Carmanah

Parisiens being rude is a silly stereotype that shouldn't even be given a second thought.
Most people will completely appreciate your efforts for speaking French. I found that whenever I spoke French to people, they would always detect my North American accent and would start speaking English to me anyways. I found it a bit odd, but hey, I didn't question them!

Comments