Paris, France

Hotels.com Booking.com Agoda.com

Rated 15% higher but also costs 50% more than other 2 star hotels

• aussirose's Profile Photo

Latin Quarter - close to everything

Since we were having our vt meet and greet at the Mad Maker Pub I decided to look in the area for accommodation. I had in mind a hotel within staggering distance :o)

Well I couldn't have picked better than the Hotel Cujas Pantheon one 2 doors up from the Mad Maker Pub. This accommodation is in a fantastic area in the Latin Quarter, close to transport, Luxembourg Gardens, Seine River, the Notre Dame, cafes and a convenience store close by.

The staff were very helpful and friendly. Bed was comfy and I was surprised that the room was a good size and even had a bath! I had heard that hotel rooms are small in Paris. The Hotel also had a lift and room had air conditioning - something not every hotel has in Paris.

Breakky was included in the cost and quite sufficient. And another thing is that the cost does not break your budget. We booked through booking.com so we did not need to pay until the day of our stay.

I totally recommend this hotel as a place to stay in Paris..... and when we come back we will be staying here again.

Directions: Near the Luxembourg Gardens. 5 minute walk to the Seine River. 2 minute walk to a convenience store. 2 doors away from the Mad Maker Pub.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

Hôtel Cujas Panthéon

This is a pleasant two-star hotel at a great location, on Rue Cujas, just off the Boulevard Saint Michel in the Latin Quarter. I booked months ahead of time because I knew some other VirtualTourist members would also be staying here, and in fact I had some very nice chats over breakfast down in the vaulted stone basement with Steve (stevemt), Dave (davesut), Ann (aussirose) and Ann’s husband Howard.

The street, and hence the hotel, were named after the humanist legal scholar and teacher Jacques Cujas (1520 – 1590), who for a while lectured on civil law at the Sorbonne in Paris. The name Cujas can apparently can be pronounced with or without the s in French.

The law library of the University of Paris is now on the same street, at number 2, and is called the Bibliothèque Cujas.

Second and third photos: In the (small but nice) lobby of the Hôtel Cujas Panthéon.

Fourth photo: Old oak beams in my room (just like in Germany). The hotel has been renovated and modernized, but they have left some of the old oak beams exposed to show that it really is an old building.

Fifth photo: On the front of the hotel is this plaque which reads: “Miklós Radnóti, 1909-1944, Hungarian poet, lived in this house in 1939.”

I later looked up Miklós Radnóti and found that 1939 was his last year of freedom, because as a Jew he was forced by the Nazis to work in labor camps and cooper mines.

In the words of the website The HyperTexts: “As the Nazis retreated from the Eastern Front and the Russian army approached, the Bor concentration camp was evacuated and Radnóti and 3,200 of his fellow internees were led on a forced march through Yugoslavia and Hungary. He was shot to death in November near the northwest Hungarian village of Abda, along with 21 other prisoners who, like Radnóti, were too weak to walk. The mass grave in which they were buried was exhumed after the war and Radnóti's last poems, describing incidents of the march, were found in his trench coat pocket by his wife. They were written in pencil in a small Serbian exercise book.”

(It turns out that in 1939 Radnóti didn’t really live in this hotel but rather next door at number 16, the Hôtel des Trois Collèges.)

Next review from September 2011: Webcafé near the Panthéon

Directions:
    Vélib’ 5106
    Just off Boulevard Saint Michel in the Latin Quarter
    GPS 48°50'53.04" North; 2°20'31.63" East

More about Paris

DHL in ParisDHL in Paris

Cyrille and Pauline are there!Cyrille and Pauline are there!

Wallace fountain on place de la Commune de Paris.Wallace fountain on place de la Commune de Paris.

roof detailroof detail

Train from Paris - Lourdes

by bimmerman

So, I am trying to make reservation a train from Paris to Lourdes.
I got reservation from Paris to Toulouse-Matabiau, but they cannot make reservation from Toulouse-Matabiau to Lourdes. They claim that trains Toulouse-Matabiau to Lourdes are local train that I don't need any reservation and there is no additional fare if I have the select pass.

Is this correct?

Thanks!

by puerto_lover

You have train that goes from Paris to Lourdes without need for going via Toulouse but presume they are not good for your timing. The local train does not need a seat reservation unlike the TGV or intercity ones.

by nomad7890

If there is a way to use the sncf site directly from the US and the original poster gets across, I'd like to know about it. I tried every which way, and I was thrown into RailEurope.

btw, RailEurope will do annoying things, like offer a much higher refundable fare. I bought a ticket from Paris to Irun there, and did not pay for the refundable ... well, at the end my ticket was refundable. Guess it's a gamble if you need the flexibility - in my case I did due to a family situation - but back to the topic, I was not able to purchase a ticket from sncf, they throw you to RailEurope when they know where you're from - even if you don't want to declare it, there comes a point they know.

by bimmerman

I will be going from Toulouse-Matabiau to Lourdes on April 3rd (i.e. Holly Saturday) morning using 8:10 am train and Lourdes to Toulouse-Matabiau in the evening using 18:48 train. I am not planning to stay the night at Lourdes.

I purchased a Select 3 Pass from http://www.eurail.com/. The pass allows me to travel in 3 different European countries in a certain number of days. However, the pass doesn't cover reservation fee or supplemental fee (i.e. for sleeper).

Since it doesn't need any reservation, does it mean I don't need a ticket if I have the pass?
If I need a ticket, do I get the ticket at the Toulouse-Matabiau or Lourdes station?

Will the train be full? What is the chance I will not get a ride?

Thanks again!

Travel Tips for Paris

You find dozens of places...

by Irato

You find dozens of places worth to visit in Paris. And it’s very likely you have no time enough to visit all. But this is not a competition. You don’t have to be everywhere. Choose what it’s most interesting for you. Find some time to have a cap of coffee, sit on the grass in a park, enjoy you are here. I love to be in Paris. I love to go back to the places I like most, places where I can recall lovely memories. And all the times I’m here, I have an impression that Paris become even more fascinating, splendid, charming, monumental and I become smaller and smaller. I feel like a little girl in the wonderland here.

Which terminal for CDG, Paris flights ?

by pfsmalo

For people looking to know which terminal their flight arrives at or leaves from at CDG, Paris, the site below lists the terminals for all airlines using the airport.

For the rest of Europe airports use:

There is also a toolbar on the left that helps you locate the rest of the world airports.

du Louvre

by JUNLI

du Louvre
The centuries-old Museum du Louvre contains one of the largest, most important art collections in the world.

Have a glance at my travelogues:
du Louvre - Sculpture
du Louvre - Trousure

La Musique

by ExGuyParis

Liane Foly is my favorite French singer, and easily hold a spot in my list of top five favorite singers ever. Great music transcends language, and this is great music. You can fully appreciate the drama, emotion, range, spirit, and power of these songs without speaking a word of French. If you do know some French, you will be touched and moved by the words as well.

The song "DOUCEMENT" is simply gorgeous. You will note a Brazilian flavor in some songs, thanks in large part to the amazing background vocals of Trio Esperanca, three lovely and talented Brazilian women (whose acapella CD's are woth checking out). “Au Fur Et à Mesure” is another marvelous, mellow song.

Liane Foly's greatest hits CD gives a retrospective of her career so far. This CD is called “Au Fur Et à Mesure: Best Of.” Surprisingly, my favorite song, "LES PETITES NOTES" is not included on the greatest hits CD. I recommend the CD titled “Les Petites Notes” which contains this song plus a lot of Brazilian flavor songs.

I had the pleasure of seeing Liane Foly perform in Paris at the Olympia. She is one of those rare talents who sounds even better live. Backed by a tight jazz band, she sparkled and soared that evening.

For a delicious taste of French music, try Liane Foly. You can find her CDs on Amazon.

Parc des Buttes Chaumont

by jemima62

I had read about this park before but thought it was a bit out of the way. However over the last year or two we have been venturing further afield and having seen the great tips by VT contributor 'davequ' (you should really read his pages - they're great : http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/48d21/18308/ ) we decided to take a trip to Bellevile and beyond and to take in this park. This was a Saturday morning in April 2008 and as it seemed to be one of the first really sunny days of the year the park was full of people either exercising, bringing their children to play, walking dogs, or just hanging out in the sun. We absolutely loved it and spent a really great few hours exploring and watching the world go by. There are quite a few different parts to the park and it has a few hills but nothing desperately strenuous if you're reasonably fit - you can miss them out whilst still enjoying the beauty of the place. If you do feel like a bit of exertion tho' the view from the 'temple' at the top is fantastic - right across to Sacre Coeur. Having done the exploring we sat down with a yummy crepe (citron et sucre - the simple ones are the best!) We'd definitely take a picnic next time.

Comments