Hotel De L'Avenir

Satisfaction Poor

More about Paris

The Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel, ParisThe Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel, Paris

Notre Dame in daylight - Oct 2009Notre Dame in daylight - Oct 2009

Colonel du 3e Régiment de Cuirassiers 1810Colonel du 3e Régiment de Cuirassiers 1810

Sculputures Atop the Arc de Triomphe du CarrouselSculputures Atop the Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel

Fuel shortage in France ?

by Jeannette1

"Officials have taken the extraordinary step of warning some flights landing at France's main airport to come with enough fuel to get back home, bracing for a possible fuel shortage after a new round of protests Saturday against plans to raise the retirement age to 62."
They've said that CDG airport has enough fuel at least until Wednesday.

Is this affecting your plans to travel to France?

Hi Pedmar
I see there are 3 answers to this post. Only yours shows up. I am wondering where the others are.

by leics

The 'extra' replies are just a VT glitch today; has happened to lots of questions.

If I did have any plans to visit France (which I don't at the mo)it would not affect me. I'd just go as per, and keep my fingers crossed that all would be well.

The only things which might affect any of my travel plans would be a) strikes at my end which prevented me travelling or b) something truly dreadful and dangerous happening where I was going (e.g. war, earthquake, eruption). Strikes are a nuisance, but neither dangerous nor the end of the world. If necessary, one just changes one's plans to fit the reality. :-)

by zuriga

Jeannette, for my job, I've been doing a little writing about the airport problems with fuel, and I keep reading conflicting reports about when Orly and CDG will run out etc. I think the government is trying to put on a brave front, and I hope they are right that they can provide enough. I guess time will tell.

It makes me laugh to think the French don't want to work past age 60. Maybe Americans should go on strike, too, and try to retire much earlier than most do. :-)

by Jeannette1

I just read that "France is asking airlines to cut flights into its airports by up to 50 percent on Tuesday because of possible strikes by airport personnel, as labor unrest over retirement reform stiffened."

by zuriga

The long lines for petrol in Paris (on the news yesterday) reminded me of when the U.S. had a shortage in the 70's. It was awful!! I sure hope this situation is over with soon. The Eurostar from London to Belgium is also not functioning properly because of a strike in Belgium now, too!

by leics

The Belgian strike is for 24 hours from 2200 last night. So there will be no Eurostar trains to Brussels until after that. Eurostar is providing a 'limited' bus replacement service from Lille to Brussels.

by zuriga

Pedro, my cousin who teaches French at Penn State is in Paris for a month during a sabbatical. She went out to get a newspaper this morning to read about the strikes and found there were no newspapers!

by zuriga

I don't know which newspaper my cousin reads, but I'm sure it was the fuel that caused the lack of availability.

Travel Tips for Paris

Get around, round, round, I get around

by ywok

Get on a bicyle, and make the best discovery, the city is not so big. You can be everywhere at once by riding.
The Metro, useful, but you only see the tunnels. Taxi, if you are an oil heir and have time to find one and like being in traffic instead of marvelling. This is a city that you can´t say, been there, did that.
It changes each and every time you go.
Once you go, you have to start planning your return inmediately.
It´s not the easiest of tourist cities, moving about can be harder than you would have expected, hotels can fill up all over the city, it can rain. But it is probably the most beautiful of all cities.

Get your hair cut!

by Muarrij

A slick haircut is very important in Paris, I felt that the Parisians spent a lot more time with their hair than in London. This at least seemed to be the case for men. I got my hair cut at Nada Coiffure - (Coiffure being Barbers). 5 Rue Clignancourt.
They charged about 10 Euros and the result was professional.

Beware - they dont speak english so make sure you are clear what you want before they start.

Place de la Bastille

by draguza

The Bastille Square (Place de la Bastille) is a famous site "thanks" to the French Revolution. Indeed, there was a prison there where the Revolution started. Now, you could find the Opera Bastille House (Maison de l'Opera Bastille) - a modern building built to commemorate the Revolution's Bicentennial.
The Bastille area is a historic area once "specialized" in furniture-making. Now, few craftsmen in their workshops who are in love with this activity, keep the tradition alive.

Vth - Paris, the city of theaters

by Maillekeukeul

What you maybe don't know about Paris, is that it's the city that contains the largest number of theaters in the world... Consequently, you just can't come by there without going to a movie !!! Among my favourite places, "Le Grand Rex" (Metro Poissonniere) and "Grand Action" (Metro Monge)...

weather in paris during the winter

by rkearns

i agree with everyone. cold is pretty relative depending on where you live. i am from santa barbara county, california. i went to paris in jan. '08 and although it wasn't snowing, it was freezing and windy and dreary. it also rained for about 4 days. it kept our exploring to mostly indoor venues. museums, restaurants... we walked but ended up just being too cold to be on foot outside all day. bring a heavy coat. inevitably, you will be standing in a long line outside before entering the museums, if that's what you decide to do with your time.

still enjoyed it! would do it again. there's just never enough time to see all of paris!

Comments