Hotel Des Canettes

Sign Announcing la Plage à Paris, 07/08Sign Announcing la Plage à Paris, 07/08

Versailles visit April 2nd, 2010

by brooklyndude

Hello Everyone!

I am planning a day trip to Versaille on Friday, April 2nd, but I have not been able to buy the tickets online. For that date, as with every Saturday and Sunday, there is no selection/option. Is this because of the holiday weekend? Will I still be able to purchase tickets on the day of visit, or will I be able to go a day earlier and purhase advance?

Also, can anyone provide feedback on the segway tour of the Versailles Park?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

by goodfish

Hmmm - it looks like the Grandes Eaux Musicales Passport is available on 4/2 but the general passport is not - they show no available general passport for that date. Wonder if those are sold out OR if the above is all that they're offering on that day? Like, it's a special event?

Anyone else have light they can shed on this???

I know you can buy tickets other places beside Versailles itself but would have to do some digging...

by doodybee

its GOOD FRIDAY
Will Versailles be open at all

by goodfish

Yes, as I said, they offered that one ticket option on their website for 4/2.

by goodfish

According to their website, tickets are available for 4/2 for the chateau, Marie Antoinette's estate and Grandes Eaux Musicales. It's just the one-day passport that they aren't appearing to offer on that day.

by goodfish

From the Versailles website, here's when they're closed:
25th December
1st of January
5th April (Easter Sunday)
1 May
24 May
1 November
Gardens and park are opened. The palace, the grand Trianon, and the Marie-Antoinette's estate are closed

by goodfish

Pedmar, they can still rent audioguides, right? And would it actually be a good time to visit without huge crowds?

Just trying to provide options here as the poster may not HAVE another day they can go and don't want to miss this.

by goodfish

Ouch - I'm sorry. Did not mean in any way to question or offend. Just wanted to help as I know what it's like to have only one day somewhere and have to try and make the best of it. If there was any possible way the poster could still do his visit - even if it wasn't optimal - wanted to help find for those options.

by goodfish

I see. Just to clarify, I was using the actual Versailles website (not just any old site off the net) and as it is probably the FIRST place any traveler would go for current information, I had to trust what I found there to be the best information available.

Was also thinking it was going to be fine as they are offering Grandes Eaux Musicales on 4/2 (usually only offered on weekends) so it appeared as if they were making a "special" day of it.

Absolutely, you are a local AND a guide with GREAT information not found on a website so should be taken very seriously. It was only because the poster didn't mention an ability to go on an alternate date that I asked the questions...

We both have the best of intentions! :)

by goodfish

Yes you are, Pedmar, and a very valuable one indeed!
Glad we are still friends...

You too!!
And just an aside: There is a chance we'll be in Paris on those very Sept. dates you're handling the underground tours at Versailles. If it comes around to that, I'll do my best to arrange our trip out the castle on one of those days. How lovely would it be to have you as guide AND meet a fellow VT'er!!

Travel Tips for Paris

The view from Trocadero

by tvdm

To unwind and relax, I strongly recommed you go into a small grocery shop and buy something for a picknick. A baguette, some cheese and bottle of wine will suffice. Find yourself a spot on a lawn or square and enjoy! Let the city bustle pass you by, admire the architecture and indulge in a glass of wine! During several visits, we've spent an evening sitting on the lawn of the Trocadero, across the river from the Eiffel Tower. As the evening fell, the Tower lit up, the fountains were illuminated and all we needed to do was to enjoy the fact that we were here, being entertained by the city itself!

Paris with the Parisians

by ATLC

This website gives some great ideas to experience Paris with locals. Accommodation, home dinners, visiting Parisians at work... all sorts of activities that will make you feel right at home. Website: http://en.parisinfo.com/shows-exhibitions-paris/paris-with-the-parisians/
or click here

Marrons (Chestnuts)

by CALSF

I visited Paris twice during the fall season. One of my fondest memories is the time we got out of the metro station Chausee d' Antin-Lafayette near the grands magasins. There was a sidewalk vendor nearby selling marrons or roasted chestnuts. They roast the chestnuts in a large, flat round pan with the shells dropping everywhere.

We bought one serving of these simply roasted chestnuts. The weather was a bit cool but the warm, creamy flesh was just silky and smooth, just the best thing. During this season roasted chestnuts are sold in many French cities. But this being our first trip to Paris it holds a dear memory to me. And it's something you should try if you happen to be in Paris during the fall and winter seasons.

If you're interested in...

by TanjaE

If you're interested in African Cultures, music and Jazz music, you'll find a lot of stores where to get the CD's you're looking for.
I've met Manu Dibango, the Jazz Legend, in person at the marriage of my friends' brother... (francophone culture...)

Bowling on Rue Mouffetard

by barryg23

If you get bored with all the sigthseeing, or if the weather is too bad, bowling is a fun way to spend a few hours in Paris. This particular bowling place is at the back of a courtyard off Rue Mouffetard. They also have a number of pool tables and a bar where you can get reasonably priced drinks.

The bowling itself turned out to be more expensive than we had expected - you have to hire the shoes too plus it wasn't entirely clear how long we could lay for so we played till we were bored.

You may want to try the deal at the crepe/panini place on the other side of the courtyard, facing on to Rue Mouffetard, which offers one bowling pass plus a crepe and drink for 6 Euro.

Comments