Hotel Eurotel

67, boulevard de Clichy, Paris, 75009, France

Satisfaction Average

More about Paris

Institut de FranceInstitut de France

Just under the famous tower.Just under the famous tower.

Eglise Saint-Augustin - Apr 2010Eglise Saint-Augustin - Apr 2010

L' Age mûrL' Age mûr

I "Vat" to be alone?

by eliza61

My sincere apologies to film legend Greta Garbo. haven't had my coffee yet so the brain cells aren't kicking in. anyway a lot of responses to my shopping thread mentioned a "Vat" charge. I noticed it on my itinerary from my TA but thought it was like surcharge on hotels we have here in the states. You guys mentioned that it's on material goods also?

So what a "Vat"? I think some one mentioned it's 19% ouch.

by Kathrin_E

VAT = Value Added Tax. A state tax charged for almost everything you can pay for.

by Dabs

It's like our sales tax in the US, but if you buy something or dine out in Europe it's included in the price you see at the store/restaurant, not added on afterwards. VAT on hotel, you have to check to see if it's already added when you are booking your accomodations.

Unless it's changed, you can't get a VAT refund on hotels or dining if you are a tourist but if you make purchases of a certain amount (varies by country) you can get a refund when you leave. I'm sure there's a website that tells you what the restrictions are, maybe someone can provide that for you if you think you will be doing some shopping. I never buy enough to make it worth the effort.

by iaint

In France it's called TVA, so that's what you'll see on your bills & receipts.

by leics

In the UK it's 15% at the moment (used to be 17.5% but has been temporarily dropped because of the recession).

It's on goods and services, but not non-luxury food (sweets/chocolate carry VAT)books, newspapers, children's clothes/shoes and probably some other things I've forgotten.

It is never listed separately on till receipts unless you specifically ask, but is on bills for e.g. white goods, household repairs etc.

by ter1413

I concur with everyone. You can get the refund at certain stores or at the airport when you are leaving provided all of your receipts are in order/stamped/etc. Those lines are ALWAYS long so leave a lot of time if you are going to get the refund at the airport. You can also just get the receipts stamped at the airport and then submit the application for a refund when you return home and they will give you a credit. The last time I was in Amsterdam, I filed when I got back home because I didn't take my own advice by getting to the airport extra early!

by Roadquill

The VAT is a consumption tax on stuff/goods/services consumed in the country you are visiting. When you leave with the "stuff" theoretically you are entitled to a credit. This involves getting the proper forms from the store when you buy the article and then getting it filed after obtaining the exit stamp once you have gone through customs to head home. Usually the paperwork takes a few weeks to get through and "surprise" there is a credit on your creditcard statement. Many retail stores will not bother with the paper work unless you buy at least 100 euro of "stuff" at that time in that store. We obtained a nice credit when we bought a Murano mirror in Rome. Karl

Travel Tips for Paris

For sure, a visit to the top...

by allord2

For sure, a visit to the top of the Eiffel tower is a must, especially during evening. The sight is wonderful, no matter where you're looking.

Bien sûr, une visite au haut de la tour Eiffel doit être faite, spécialement durant la soirée. La vue est magnifique, peu importe la direction où l'on regarde. Même si ce n'est pas directement dans Paris, la grandeur et la richesse du Château de Versailles sont des choses que je me remémore souvent. La paix et la tranquilité au hameau de la reine valent le déplacement et la marche.

Even if it's not right in Paris, the grandiose Château de Versaille is something to remember. You can found a peaceful atmosphere, especially at 'Le Hameau de la Reine'. It worth the walk...

Jeanne d'Arc

by iamjacksgoat

Jeanne d'Arc or Joan of Arc was a famous French peasant. She led the French army against the English during the Hundred Years' War. Sadly, she was burned at the stake on May 30, 1431. There is a statue of her at Place des Pyramides, which can be seen while walking down the street.

Lock your bike!

by Nemorino

As in any large city, when you are cycling in Paris you always have to lock your bike whenever you leave it somewhere, even if it's just for a couple of minutes. And you should always lock it to something, so nobody can just carry it off.

Some people claim this is too much trouble, but personally I think that's just an excuse for not cycling. Of course you have to find something immovable that you can lock it onto, then take the lock-and-chain off the bike, thread it around through the frame and if possible through one of the wheels, and then lock it. But after you've done this a couple times it becomes a quick routine.

Second photo: Here I've got my rental bike locked to one of those little fences that they put around the trees to protect them. This is at Place Franz Lizst, in the 10th arrondissment, and the church in the background is Saint Vincent-de-Paul.

Third photo:Someone else's bike locked to a fence. Once or twice I had trouble finding something to lock my bike to, but in general it was no problem.

Fourth photo: Here's someone else's bike chained to a lightpost on the Boulevard du Palais (Ile de la Cité).

Fifth photo: Increasingly, the city is installing bicycle parking places with sturdy U-shaped stands anchored securely in the ground (not like the useless rim-killers you often find in Germany). This bicycle parking place is on the newly re-vamped Boulevard de Magenta in the 10th arrondissment.

Parisians can be very snooty,...

by scataudo

Parisians can be very snooty, so if you're being followed around a designer clothes shop, disrupt as many items of neatly folded clothing as possible, that'll teach them to follow you around like a criminal! On the Metro, be prepared for some pushing and shoving, it isn't personal, just part of the social fabric.

Small Wine Museum - skip it.

by aquatic

Because I recently became interested in wine I decided to visit the museum and have lunch at their restaurant.
After a visit to Eiffel Tower I went over the Pont d'Iena and found this little museum just to learn that I have to wait to have lunch for about one hour. After 20 minutes I finished looking at the collection of many things involved in wine making. By the museum we were offered to taste wine and cheese for additional pay. I didn't like the wine... I just thought for the wine museum they could offer something more significant.
After all they did not let us eat at the restaurant for whatever reason... Thank god, I saved time and money to visit more museums in the area.

Opened Tuesday through Saturday from noon to 3 pm