Hotel Gabriel Paris

penumbra's Profile Photo

Place de la Republique

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 16, 2007

My first search for accommodations in Western Europe showed that my time in Paris would be the most expensive portion of the trip. It took awhile to learn that different travel sites specialized in different parts of the world. Sites that I had used successfully to find hotels in Canada and the US just didn’t have the depth to adequately cover Europe. One of my other goals to try to find a hotel close to my point of entry into Paris so that I didn’t have to drag my luggage around. For this particular trip, I planned to take the bus down from Brussels to Paris. My best find was the web site on which I made the reservation, Venere, which allowed me to see locations of the available hotels on a map.

Unique Quality: The Hotel Plessis turned out to be as promised; a bit dated but clean an located in a reasonable neighborhood near the Place de la Republique. The area has a good variety of shops, cafes and restaurants.

tiabunna's Profile Photo

Now the very different Hotel Gabriel

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 3, 2006

I found and selected the Plessis for my stay in Paris through extensive internet searching. I then made an internet booking, with my fingers tightly crossed. I’m pleased to say that it fully matched my expectations and I’m entirely happy to recommend it as excellent value for money. We subsequently had another pleasant stay there on a later trip.

IMPORTANT UPDATE July 2009. Through sheer idle curiousity, I have just looked up the Plessis on the internet, to check on the current prices. I was aghast to find that it now is no more - it appears to have changed hands and has been entirely refurbished as the Hotel Gabriel Paris-Marais. It has a four star rating, all looks very swish and upmarket, and claims to be the first hotel in Paris to feature a detox facility (whatever that is!). According to the website, Paris Match described it as "A totally new kind of hotel".

Unique Quality: My earlier descriptions of the Plessis are now out of date. The Gabriel, as it now is, bears little relation to the former Plessis, which was a budget-priced two star hotel. None the less, the siting was one of the real attractions for me, and obviously remains the same. So, to continue with my earlier notes on siting: It is in the République area, on the north eastern side of the city area..... Importantly, there are excellent Metro connections (Oberkampf about 150 metres with 2 lines, République with 4 lines about 250 metres), ample convenient restaurants, supermarkets, and a laundromat nearby (turn R from the door, right at the first corner, and it’s just across the street).

My "satisfaction rating" below applies to the former Plessis - the new prices for the Gabriel are shown below and are outside my range. My photos are of the Plessis as it was - to see the butterfly which has emerged as the Gabriel, I'd suggest you look at the website below: leave your speakers on to listen to the relaxing ambient musical sounds which accompany it.

Directions: From Place de la République, head up the Avenue of the same name for about 150 metres, then take the second street to the right (more of a laneway, but don't let that put you off): the Plessis is about 25 metres from the corner on the right.

Good value and a great little hotel!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 22, 2004

We stayed here in July 2004. Apparently this is a family-run hotel, and certainly there is a welcoming and homely atmosphere. We were given a small double with a balcony, which overlooked the street outside. The room was not huge, but had a comfy double bed, a wardrobe and a table for our case and clutter. The ensuite bathroom was spotless and modern, with a very powerful shower - very welcome after a days exploring!

The receptionist was never less than very helpful and cheery, and a massive buffet breakfast was served each morning. They don't seem to have a website, but there are pictures of the hotel and rooms here, where I booked our room:

Directions: Very close to Oberkampf Metro station - about 5 minutes walk.

Nearby Hotel Gabriel Paris

5 Photos of Hotel Gabriel Paris

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Hotel Gabriel Paris

• Free High Speed Internet

Paris Travel Forum

Need advice about Paris, France? Visit the Travel Forum for Paris and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Paris hotel reviews