28 bis boulevard Diderot, 12 Arr., Paris, 75012, France

Main EntranceMain Entrance

March 1939March 1939

2 days

by thefridge

I only have 2 days to spend in Paris this coming June. I would like to know where to stay so that we can see as much as possilbe of the city without travelling to much. First time visiting also.

thanks

by TexasDave

As long as you stay in central Paris it doesn't really matter since many of the main tourist sights are within walking distance of each other and the bus/metro system is quite good, too. What you see is up to you- what are your interests? Museums, churches, monuments, etc?

by xymmot

Stay in Central Paris and get a map and circle the sites most interested. Arrange them in clusters of walking distance. Take the metro to the area or start walking. There is plenty to see and the two days will just fly by.

by Maryimelda

Newcomers to Paris seem to like staying inb the 5th and 6th aroindissemnents (St Germain and Latin Quartier) as they are quite close to most of the main attractions such as Notre Dame, Ste Chapelle, the Pantheon, Rue Moufftard etc. Also many good cafes and restaurants to be found in that area of the city, not that there aren't plenty of those all over Paris. But it is certainly true that wherever you stay in Paris is not going to be too far from whatever youwant to see, byvirtue of the fact that the public transport is excellent.
Try www.venere.com or www.bookings.com for a great selection of hotels all over Paris.

by Maryimelda

Newcomers to Paris seem to like staying in the 5th and 6th arondissemnents (St Germain and Latin Quartier) as they are quite close to most of the main attractions such as Notre Dame, Ste Chapelle, the Pantheon, Rue Moufftard etc. Also many good cafes and restaurants to be found in that area of the city, not that there aren't plenty of those all over Paris. But it is certainly true that wherever you stay in Paris is not going to be too far from whatever you want to see, by virtue of the fact that the public transport is excellent.

by Maryimelda

Sorry for the double up, I was trying to correct the typos but left my run too late.

by leanneedwards

I love the 1st 2nd areas as well as the 5th and 6th... walk as much as you can and take the Batobus on the seine as well are my favourite suggestions!!
Paris is great for walking as already stated!! get a good map and be off on your adventure!! I try not to use the Metro as we found we could walk to places in the core of the city, seeing great sites on the way! My sister takes students and always used the Metro .. when we travelled together she was surprised at how close everything was when walking!!
Enjoy .

Travel Tips for Paris

Do you want to be visitor No 200,000,000? Too late

by matcrazy1

The Eiffel Tower was born on 31 March 1889 built for the Universal Exhibition in celebration of the French Revolution.
Contractor: Gustav Eiffel and others
Height: 324m=1063ft (with flagpole)
Number of visitors till 31 Dec 2001: 198,224,110
Number of visitors in 2001: 6,103,987 (=16,723 daily)
200,000,000th visitor already visited the Eiffel Tower, 300,000,000th one in (maybe) 2018? Who knows?
. The Eiffel Tower and district Montmarte.

IF YOU NEED TO USE THE BATHROOM

by ForestqueenNYC

THIS IS NOT A FAVORITE THING, BUT A GENERAL TIP.

Many restaurants and bars will let you use their bathroom without having to buy anything, BUT NOT ALL. So I have listed a few possibilities.

Some metro stations have public bathrooms and they are usually very clean. These are some that I definitely know about: Metro stops on Rue des Ecoles, the Place de la Concorde, Trocadero, Pont Neuf. You will also find them at the Eiffel Tower, the Tuileries, le Jardin du Luxembourg, and in the park behind Notre Dame.

Other possibilities:
Quick, MacDonalds, Starbucks, department stores and libraries.

If worse comes to worst, you can use the free toilets you see on the street. I have yet to use one because I am claustrophobic.

At least one place I went to to use the facilities asked me for money. I had been there before and didn't remember paying but I gave the woman money anyway. The next time I went the attendant was not taking money so I asked her if it was free and she said yes. So evidently the person who had asked me for money was scamming me. Just to let you know it was the toilette behind the cathedral. So if they ask you for money there, they are doing so illegally.

Seeing what's available to rent or buy

by shrimp56

I enjoy stopping and reading the advertisements for apartments to rent or buy -- there is a whole different set of code words for the number of rooms and the apartment's characteristics. Most are outrageously expensive, but occasionally there is a charmer at a decent price. But if the ad begins "Dans un bel immeuble XVII ème, sur rue calme..." I know I'm in over my head ;)
The reason that you see so many of these real estate concerns is because, unlike the United States, properties are usually only listed with one agent. Dreaming that one of those apartments could be mine ;)

Les Crepes

by draguza

Crepes are the ubiquitous street food of Paris. The word "crepes" refers to both the final dressed product and the thin pancake itself. Unfortunately, no one knows the Origin of Crepes.
There are literally hundreds of Dinner Crepes Recipes and Dessert Crepes. Crepes can be filled with a veritable cornucopia of ingredients, in whatever combination the heart desires. Fillings can be lacking in freshness and quality, ingredients can be too sparingly used and worst of all, the crepes can be soggy and limp.

Galettes are a type of crepe whose crepe recipe is made with sarrasin (buckwheat). They do not have a particularly different taste once everything is added in; the identifiable difference is that they have a whole-wheat color. Sweet crepes are also called sucre;

Skateboarding in Paris

by BeatChick

For all you skaters (skateboarders) out there, there are at least 3 places where you can meet up with your compadres: Les Halles, Place du Trocadero & Place de la Bastille.

I came to Fontaine des Innocents early one Spring to meet up with a friend of mine as we were traveling to Chatou to the La Maison du Fournaise where Renoir painted his famous painting The Houseboat Party.

While I was waiting near the Fontaine des Innocents, I noticed some young punks skateboarding & doing tricks, ollies & such.

I used to date a skater, that incidentally looked like River Phoenix with a tan, so naturally I'm fascinated by all them and all their tricks. My skater punk dude used to love the Pixies "Surfer Rosa"; wonder what skaters listen to now? Anyway, I'm here to give you all the hook-up on where to skate! I can't say that it's legal to do so here but at least you know where to head to should the urge strike you.

My last trip to Paris this past February I found skaters on the Place de la Bastille, in the area overlooking the Canal St-Martin - better photos this time with my digital. There were 4 of them & I managed to get decent shots of all of them. I really love the photo of the first skater as I snapped him at the peak of his high kick flip.

Should you get hungry there are several fast-food places on rue Berger such as McDonald's (Innocents area) and there are a plethora of cafes near Bastille.

And if your skater betty gets a hankering for some shopping why there's the Forum les Halles nearby that is a mecca for teenage shopping!

Photos: Feb 2006 & April 2003 Skateboard (and hopefully protective gear) ;)

Comments