Hotel Henri IV Rive Gauche

9-11 rue Saint Jacques, 05 Arr., Paris, Ile-de-France, 75005, France

Henri IV Rive Gauche Hotel
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

• Latin Quarter Dreamstay

This is a small intimate hotel with very competent, friendly staff. Our room was cleaned everyday, with basic toiletries replenished as needed. The front desk professionals were helpful in securing taxicabs when asked and recommended some great places off the beaten track to visit. The location is safe and everyone entering is monitored because of proximity of the front desk to the entrances. We absolutely enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel. The location can't be topped. Our trip was a gift of our son.

Unique Quality: Great views on the upper floors facing the street.

Directions: Within walking distance to major sites in the Latin Quarter

• kcinferndale's Profile Photo

Ultimate bang for the buck

That's the view from our room. The Eiffel Tower is the spotlight in the distance. The church is Saint Severin.
    Simply wonderful. Great location, clean, roomy, helpful staff and incredible views. Skip breakfast (not included) and have an omelette next door. Saint Severin across the street is beautiful, inside and out. Check out Rue de la Huchette for bargain eats. Rue Saint Severin has lots to offer as well.
    Dollar for Euro I challenge anyone to find a better deal.
    Don't confuse it with Hotel Henri Residence.

Unique Quality: Great location, a few blocks from Ile de la Cite and Notre Dame, the Marais, the Seine and wonderful St. Germain des Pres.
    Recently updated.

Directions: In the Latin Quarter.

• supakitty's Profile Photo

low price, superb location

Very inexpensive, and an awesome location. However, I would definitely make sure to have sheets before 7pm when the lady closes for the night. I got back from dinner rather late to find that my bed had no sheets. Not the nicest place to stay but the location is unbeatable for the price. Also, the free breakfast is great!

Unique Quality: On the Pont Neuf, hello!

Directions: On the Pont Neuf, bridge where the "Bourne Identity" was filmed.

• GUYON's Profile Photo

One of the cheapest hotels of Paris

It has 400 years and have been recently remodeled.
    20 rooms, some with a private bath, others with only a sink.
    Price :
    Single with sink : 23 euros
    Double with a sink : 35 E
    Double with bath : around 50 E
    including the breakfast. Tax include.
    Updating : the rooms have been remodeled and the prices had been increased. I will update the review when I will pass by Ile de la Cite

It is not the Hotel Henri IV Rive Gauche but I cannot be rid of with the link

Unique Quality: The hotel faces a quiet place, near the Law Court, with several restaurants.
    It is 1 mn walk from Pont Neuf, 5 mn from Notre Dame, 5 mn from the Quartier Latin, 3 mn from la Samaritaine (department store and free view point on Paris at the 9e floor).

To eat thrifty : a small supermarket G20 rue de la Bourdonnais, nearby. Open everyday including Sunday 8:30 - 20:45

In a safe area, centrally located close to the Seine and unexpensive .Can you dream a best place to stay.

Directions: On Ile de la Cite.
    Metro : Pont Neuf (line 7) & Cite (line 4)

• nygaston's Profile Photo

Historic area, Hotel on the river

charming and historical hotel
    Attention:
    there is no lift, you must walk the stairs !

Unique Quality: QUARTIER LATIN
    Try these hotels (around 80-100 Euros):

Hotel Familia, 11 rue des ecoles *
    Hotel des Carmes, rue des Carmes
    Carofftel Gobelins , email: Hotcarof@club-internet.fr
    Hotel Cluny-Sorbonne * , 6 rue Victor Cousin **
    Hotel Comfort Inn * , 56 rue Mouffetard (web site ?)
    Hotel de France, 108 rue Monge *
    Hotel de Suez**, 31 bd St Michel (very good)
    Hotel des Grands Hommes, place Pantheon *** (expensive)
    hotel@3colleges.com *
    Hotel du Bresil
    Hotel Elysa, 6 rue Gay Lussac
    TimHotel, 5 rue Linne or 71 rue Monge **

Directions: near Quartier Latin or Ile de la cite...

More about Hotel Henri IV Rive Gauche

Hotel Henri-IV Rive Gauche - Wonderful!

When you are traveling to Paris for the first time and it is your responsibility to find a hotel it can be a little overwhelming. I ended up reviewing several web sites and looking at hundres of hotels trying to decide which hotel/arrondissement to stay in. We wanted a hotel that was centrally located with easy access to the Metro/RER. The Hotel Henri-IV Rive Gauche was exactly what we wanted. Our room was located on the 6th floor of the hotel which gave us a great view of Saint-Severin (a Gothic church located across the street) and a view of the Eiffel Tower in the distance. Our balcony enabled us to see the towers of Notre Dame which were absolutely beautiful at night. The bathroom featured marble tile, double vanity and my favorite - a heated towel rack.

Our first two nights we had dinner in the Latin Quarter where there were so many different restaurants to choose from. It was hard to get used to the restaurant staff calling out to you to come into their establishment to have a meal. Once you were seated for dinner don't expect to have quiet meal - the restaurant staff continued to call out to more customers walking down the street trying to entice them to enter.

The staff of the Hotel Henri-IV Rive Gauche were wonderful! After we expressed some disappointment in the quality of food in the restaurants located near our hotel Lauren, who worked the evening shift, shared with us a great location for restaurants - Rue St. Louis en L'ile (the center street of the island behind Notre Dame). We enjoyed three lovely meals in quiet restaurants that have been owned by French families for years. We wished we had known about this street at the beginning of our trip.

One recommendation we have is before you arrive in Paris please arrange for a transportation service to get you to your hotel. Traveling on the RER with more than one suitcase is a burden especially if you are having to change lines and are not familiar with their transportation system and which side of the train the doors open - it varies from stop to stop. We ended up moving our luggage several times on the journey into Paris. Once your are settled in your hotel the RER/Metro is wonderful to use.

Thank you Hotel Henri-IV Rive Gauche for a wonderful hotel to stay in on our first trip to Paris. Should we be fortunate enough to return to Paris we will definitely stay in your hotel!

One thing we didn't do was to take a picture of the restaurants where we enjoyed our meals. This would be a great way to remember them!

Great hotel--great holiday in Paris!

We stayed at the Hotel Henri IV Rive Gauche in early May and had a wonderful experience! The hotel was everything the review said and more. We had room 602, with an incredibly romantic view of the Eiffel Tower, and Saint Severin church. The beds are very comfortable. . .how romantic to hear the street sounds outside, with the windows open. When closed, they afford the quiet needed for a great nights rest. The rooms are small but have great immenities, like hotel safe, mini bar, wonderful shower with plenty of hot water. Its incredibly clean, the staff is helpful and friendly, the location is perfect for sight seeing. Right in the heart of the Latin Quarter, its the most fun area of Paris to walk at night, with lots of restaurants, clubs, shops.

The hotel will arrange transportation from the airport for you for a small charge. It is well worth it.

Don't miss the little shop right next door for a Nutella crepe - I got one twice a day and they are simply heaven! A great restaurant in the Latin Quarter is La Bourbon - right down the street from the hotel, it serves delicious French food. The service is slow, but well worth the wait. We had chatteaubriand - A thick tender flavorful slice of steak - not the thin kind you usually get in restaurants in Paris. Plus don't miss out on cheese fondue - and the best salad I've ever had with greens and roquefort cheese - didn't even need dressing. Do not miss this restaurant. We made the mistake of ordering from the price fixed menus the first two nights at other restaurants - don't bother. The food will be less than average. We paid a bit more for what we wanted at La Bourbon and were delighted.

If you buy from the shops in Paris, watch out for the pashmina wraps. Some are cashmere and silk, which are a good buy, but there are many imitations which are rayon and you may pay as much for them as for the cashmere ones. Look for the little label on the bottom of the wrap. And feel them-- the good ones are very soft.

Best time to visit the Eiffel Tower is late afternoon/early evening when the lines will be much shorter. We waited over 2 hours in the early afternoon.

A word about transportation - the subway here is hard to figure out if you don't speak French - and the ticket clerks are not usually willing to help you or pretend they don't speak English. We spent the first day in frustration of the subways. A better bet is the open air buses where you can get on and off when you want to. We only had three days and missed out on a lot because of the subway.

Enjoy your stay at the most beautiful and romantic city in the world!

great hotel in middle of everything

I recently stayed at the Henri IV Rive Gauche Hotel during a week in August 2005. I stayed at the hotel based on reviews from this website.
I loved staying at this hotel and would definitely return. We had 2 rooms; 502 for myself and wife which overlooked St. Severin Church in the front and 503 for my children which faced the back. Try to get a front room on the 5 or 6 floor for a terrific view of the church and Eiffel Tower in the far off distance. The rooms were small but very cozy. The air conditioning worked very well. The bathrooms are very nice but I felt as in other hotels the the water pressure was not that good, but not the worse I have seen either. When you go out you leave your room keys at the front desk and the people there get to know you very fast. Everyone spoke English quite well. I liked Rose at the front desk as she was very attentive to our needs; helping me to find an Amex office and laudromet close by, by researching it on the internet.
They have a computer in the basement which you can purchase time cards at the front desk to go onto the internet.
I did not eat their breakfast but I did find a nice little bread place a few blocks from the hotel where you can purchase croissants and other bread and get different types of coffee (in a cup to go which is usually the exception). The place is called La Boulangerie de Papa and is at 1 rue de la Harpe which is about 1/2 block from the Saint Michel Subway stop near the hotel.
The hotel is located about 2 blocks to notre dame but we were able to take the subway to many of the other sites. We stayed for seven days arriving on a sunday so we purchased the Carte Orange card for zone 1 and 2 which works for 7 days but always starts on a Monday. The card is 16 euros per person and well worth it if you will be staying starting on a monday for 7 days. You must have a passport type photo to stick onto the ID card the comes with the pass so we took passport photos and brought them along. There are also photo machines in all the large train stations.
The Museum pass is a worthwhile purchase as it helps you beat the lines in alot of the museums. The passes can be bought in 1,3 and 5 day periods and can be bought at any museum that accepts the pass and some train stations such as St. Michel stop.
Pick up the Rick Steve Paris guide book. i found it to be invaluable as it gives tips on when to see different sites so they are less crowed. it also has some walking tours which were great.
If you need to change US dollars to Euros try getting a price from a few cash places because I found that the exchange rate varied wildly. I think the best exchange is if you use your bankcard at the many ATM here and take out cash as you need it. Make sure you have a 4 digit pin number that has no letters to be able to use the card in europe.
Also it may be a good idea to tell your bank and credit card companies that you will be traveling in europe so they don't block your account.
Lastly be careful of pickpockets. I kept most of my documents in the safe in the room and I kept at money and credit cards in my front pocket. My wife always held her purse in front of her and we had no problems. Be most careful on subways, buses and at tourist sites when you are in line.
I am from NYC and it didn't seem any worse than here.
I cant think of anything else so I hope you have as great a trip as I did.

Egg-ceptional Easter Week

Great hotel, would stay here again, though would ask for rooms in back first, if available. Lovely staff, english-speaking and forgiving of poor French skills. Nice if smallish rooms, with double-paned windows that cut down the street noise in rooms at the front--rooms at the back are probably quieter. (NB: I live in the woods, so my idea of "noise" may not be yours.) Car traffic dies down at night for the most part. Fun view of the gargoyles of St. Severin from front rooms. Comfy beds; great water pressure and plenty of hot water. Generous breakfast available (we had more than corn flakes and croissants); superb coffee. You can hear the bells of Notre Dame from here! Excellent access to Metro and RER; perfect walking distance to Notre Dame, Ile St. Louis, even the Marais. There's a great patisserie west on one of those tiny east-west streets just north of hotel. Worth the price for comfort, convenience.

Well located and overall, a very nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member CITYCOW

I think I really lucked out with this hotel...seeing the reviews on this website, I decided to book 3 nights for my wife and I through expedia. I communicated with the hotel several times via email w/ questions and even added another night through email.

The staff returned my emails promptly and adding another night was not a problem.

This hotel is very well located within a few short blocks of Notre Dame. There is plenty to do and plenty to eat all around this place whether you are in the mood for something fancier or something quick and cheap. Also, multiple major metro stops are close by.

The metro line that takes you to Versailles was also near by and this was a bonus for us.

The staff speaks English and the room we stayed in was clean and didn't smell like smoke. Yeah, it's not super large sized compared to American hotel standards but just the fact that it was run well, kept well, looked modern, and was in a fantastic location was worth the euros I payed for (yes, it is a little pricy but I am glad I splurged a little).

Hotel Henri IV

by lamabodo

Hi!
Does any of you kind people know when the reception at the Hotel Henri IV at Place Dauphine closes at night?

Best regards
/LB

RE: Hotel Henri IV

by Muscovite

I understand why you are interested. As already said, be careful.
It is in every single guidebook. I tried to book a room - no way, they have no site and they would not answer letters.
Well, I booked another hotel and went to see this one. It was about 8 p.m. Narrow stairs. reception closed - open untel 7 p.m. International Herald Tribune on the floor. Bathroom and toilet hanging - literally - between 1st and 2nd floors. Curious as I am I could not bring myself to open the door and see what they look like - was afraid the stairs could fail. Oh yes, there was not much light inside.
But do not be discouraged either. When I went back to the square, a man looked out of the window, he seemed to be quite happy and enjoyed the place.

RE: RE: Hotel Henri IV

by lamabodo

Thanks a lot for the warnings! Despite all this, I've gone ahead and booked a room for my trip in august. Will let you all know how it turns out!
Best regards