Hotel Le Crayon

Travelocity Expedia.com Hotels.com

Rated 17% higher but also costs 108% more than other 2 star hotels

• lolo5's Profile Photo

now HOTEL CRAYON

this is the perfect hotel to stay in may eb starting with December 2011, as now in October it was still with a lot of wires and inaccuracies; even so it is a design hotel but made with alot of care and application and inspiration, with tiny rooms that are cosy for one, maximum 2 people, with wide beds, tiny bathrooms that function perfectly, all new, all refurbished, something which, trust me, you cannot find easilly in Paris! NOt at that price, not in a better area! The area is perfect for shopping on rue Etienne Marcel or at Les Halles or in the nearby Marais, or for visiting all Paris!Great breakfast, great temperatures in the roms, windows that open on the street or on the courtyard, silence, funk and especially amazing people that take care of you as if you were familly!No gym, no related rooms, no bussiness lounge, but an nespresso machine in the hallway with free use and a "honnesty bar". LOVELY!

Unique Quality: Best location ever, best attention ever.

Directions: accross the street (rue du louvre) from La BOURSE (the french wall street)

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Clean Inexpensive and close to the Louvre

I spent two nights recently at the Hotel Louvre Forum, just off of rue de Louvre. It is only a two star place, but the staff was excellent and very helpful. My room was clean but very small (surprise!) and the shower was so small it was somewhat difficult to use. But at 78 euro a night I felt it was a bargain for the solo traveler who did not need amenities. I was not impressed with the breakfast and opted for the local spots.

Unique Quality: It is a five minute walk to the Louvre or to Les Halles. The staff gets five stars.

More about Louvre Forum

Hotel Louvre Forum and Hotel Flor Rivoli comparison

My wife and I traveled to Paris in April 2005 for a nine day stay. With the Paris Marathon occurring in the middle of our visit, we were unable to book our first choice hotel for the entire stay. The upside for TripAdvisor readers is this minor inconvenience provided us the opportunity to directly compare two highly rated value priced Paris hotels: Hotel Louvre Forum and Hotel Flor Rivoli.

LOCATION. Both hotels are equal distances from the nearby Musee du Louvre and the Chatelet RER station. This is convenient for budget travelers allowing you to take the RER directly from Roissy-Charles de Gaulle airport without having to switch trains. While the Hotel Louvre Forum is only 0.4 km from the easy Louvre-Rivoli station (Line 1-yellow), Hotel Flor Rivoli has two access points to the mammoth Chatelet Metro station just steps away. It is also closer to the Ile de la Cite attractions.

ROOM AMENITIES. Our room at Hotel Louvre Forum had two single beds for 98 euro/night. The room was small but well laid out, with an open closet/organizer/desk unit, small TV, mini bar frig, and a room safe. The private bathroom was modern, clean, and nicely decorated with a bath with a shower hose unit on a post which allowed for hands free showering, though you needed to bend down to get under the low shower head position (or lift the sprayer off of the post). The hotel is on a quiet side street off of Rue du Louvre, so street noise is non-existent. Our room at Hotel Flor Rivoli had a double bed for 80 euro/night and was a step down in all respects from our room at Hotel Louvre Forum. Again the room was small with an elevated TV with a disfunctional remote control (the batteries taped to the back of the remote probably just needed to be replaced) and a tiny closet containing a room safe. A small desk was inconveniently placed in a high traffic corner of the room and there was no mini bar frig. The private bathroom was modern and clean with a bath and a shower hose unit. However, there was no post for the shower head and there was no partial shower screen as there was at Hotel Louvre Forum. Therefore, showering required a little coordination and usually resulted in an unplanned wash down of the rest of the bathroom (or any unfortunate soul sharing the bathroom at the time). The hotel is located right off the busy Rue de Rivoli and much of the street noise filtered into the front guest room we were staying in.

HOTEL STAFF AND AMENITIES. The Hotel Louvre Forum staff was polite and professional while the staff at Hotel Flor Rivoli was warm and friendly. The Hotel Louvre Forum had a nice sized sitting area and an elevator that could hold two Europeans with luggage or one American and luggage. The Hotel Flor Rivoli had a sitting area the size of a restaurant booth and a tiny elevator that could hold two very well acquainted Europeans (you will definitely be well acquainted after the ride) or one American without luggage. We didn’t get the breakfast at either hotel as there was a Franprix supermarket next to the Hotel Flor Rivoli and another only a short distance from Hotel Louvre Forum. Both hotels also have nearby boulangeries and cafes, and a McDonald’s on Rue de Rivoli very close to Hotel Flor Rivoli.

RECOMMENDATION. While both hotels provide a great value for hotels located in the heart of Paris, I would recommend paying the few extra bucks and walking the few extra steps and staying at Hotel Louvre Forum. The better amenities will result in a more pleasant stay. My wife found both hotels to be equally nice.

Keep telling yourself how much money you're saving

by TripAdvisor Member jlmjrphd

My 12 year old son and I stayed at the Louvre Forum for two days during March 2005. The room was very basic, very small but clean. The bathroom and shower were perhaps the smallest I have ever seen. The location is excellent and the staff helpful but not especially friendly. I would only recommend this hotel for those on a tight budget. I had to keep reminding myself how much money I was saving by staying there.

Decent Hotel In Paris

by TripAdvisor Member jlechem

My wife and I stayed here in September of 2004 for a few nights during our European vacation. The hotel was a bit difficult to find even for the taxi drivers. It is a bit tucked away on a side street right off the main street to the louvre. It's not that hard to find and it's quiet. I found the staff to be very nice and friendly. The breakfast buffet was a bit pricey but the food is good and french chef was very nice and inviting. You are about 10 minutes away from the louvre and nearest metro. Not bad if the weather is nice but horrible in the bad sun or snow. There are a few cafes close by with an excellent pizzaria/past place right next door. The room was very clean and neat and had lots of hot water in the shower and an excellent AC. The room was tiny with barely enough room to squeeze in the bed. The shower wasn't much better. But after staying in Europe for a while this seems to be the norm. So overall the price was great if you don't mind a little bit of walking.

Would stay here every time!

by TripAdvisor Member ned

This place is exactly what my partner and I wanted in a Paris Hotel.

It is in a area we like, close to the Louvre and some wonderful shops and restaurants where you can spend the money you save on the price friendly but very comfortable hotel.

The room and the bathroom were very clean, the room was quiet, the staff very friendly. what more could anyone ask for?? It's not the NY Plaza but if you cared for that you wouldn't be reading Tripadvisor I suppose.

Confusing reservation

by TripAdvisor Member Enriquez

I read all the good reviews and based upon location and price decided to book this hotel. I called in the morning and they took the credit card information. They told me to send an email with the reservation request and that they would send me a confirmation . The website did not have a secure server. Later in the day I called to confirm the room type and was told that they did not book anything until 30 days before arrival. THe hotel person repeated this and tried to wisk me off the phone. I tried to ask about the confirmation from the morning and the hotel person responded that they only book 30 days before arrival -without elaboration. I asked to speak to a manager and she said goodbye and ended the conversation. Perhaps the hotel is a good hotel but two things created complications: the surly treatment by the staff and the uncertainty of an actual reservation. I have been to Paris before and the hotels have been helpful and professional.

Great Location at low price

I stayed here March 5-8 2005 at end of business trip to France after reading reviews on Tripadvisor. Dropped by without reservation and was given room at 10:00am! Staff was generally cold, but then I did stop in without reservation. Single room with shower is tiny. Shower was same size as in my 25' sailboat. I did get to see a "double with bath" on last day and it is reasonable size by US standards. Everything is very clean, location is excellent for walking to Louvre. 5Euro cab fair to Notre Dame, 10Euro to Eifel tower. Several good resteraunts within 3 blocks. Plan to stay again in June with family but definately getting two "double with bath" rooms
Larry St. Pete Beach Flordida

Great location for a good price

We spent a very happy week here in August. The room was clean and comfortable but short on closet space. The choice of nearby restaurants was very good. We chose this Hotel so we could begin every day with a visit to the Louvre.

Recommendable budget hotel!

Me and my wife booked a stay at this hotel after reading many good reviews here at Tripadvisor. We booked online without any problems and the response from the hotel came shortly after booking.
After staying at other budget hotels in big european cities we had put our expectations quite low, but that there was no reason for!
Our room at the 6th floor (stairs from 5th to 6th floor) was small, but cosy and clean with a nice bathroom.
Only negative to say is that the noise from the hallway and elevator machinery was disturbing, but no noise from traffic or the streets were ever heard.
We can really recommend this hotel, just bring a pair of earplugs (they can come in handy sometimes).

Small space for small price

by TripAdvisor Member shimmykim

You can't beat the place for the money. Small, but clean. The showers are extremely small and the towels weren't the softess, but you can't complain given the low rates. Location is also great, close to train station, Louvre, and restaurants.

Paris in a day

by DavynJayne

Hi all
We are a couple of Aussies who intend travelling over from England for the day, and staying one night, around the 20th September. Can anyone recommend any reasonably priced, clean accommodation for one night that is central.
We would like to sightsee by walking around on one of the before mentioned walks.
Thanks for your assistance.

Davy & Jayne
Victoria
Australia

RE: Paris in a day

by CALSF

Hi, I'm not sure what 'reasonably priced' means in terms of your budget. Honestly there are many nice hotels that fit your description. And if you haven't done so already, do check out the Paris hotel tips here on VT. You can start by checking out my friend, Faux's, hotel tips which contains reasonably priced (in my opinion) hotels:

RE: Paris in a day

by Roadquill

I stayed at the Hotel Louvre Forum, a few blocks away from the Louvre. Very reasonable, clean and excellent staff. 78 euro for a single, a little more for a double.

by zuriga

www.ratestogo.com has some very good deals for Paris. The Jardin D'Eiffel is not a bad choice.. simple room and bath but rather inexpensive for Paris and in a lovely neighborhood.

by CALSF

Hi, you have about 8 duplicated posts for some reason.

by Roadquill

Must be an E-stutter!

Since the Tube is so efficient and you can get anyplace it is more of areas that you may want to avoid staying in, i.e. Kings Cross. I was not impressed by the Bayswater area, but that was 20 years ago. If you want to be by the theatres, then stay in or near Covent Garden or Soho. I found that you pay a lot for that area and you don't get a lot. I liked the Earl's Court area for value. Mayfair and Belgravia is nice but more expensive. Once you find an area, use tripadvisor.com to get comments about the specific hotel.

by CALSF

I found out that Bob had computer problems.

Comments