5, rue des Bons Enfants, 1st Arr., Paris, Ile-de-France, 75001, France

Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

Richelieu lived here

Since the main point of this particular visit to Paris was to have a good look at the Egyptian Antiquities department of the Louvre, we wanted a hotel that was close to the Louvre without being horrendously expensive. I found this one on hotel.de costing an average of EUR 130 per night for a double room (Saturday nights are the most expensive, Sundays the least). That works out to EUR 65 per person, which is reasonable enough but does not include breakfast.

Breakfast, if you want it, costs an additional EUR 11 per person, which is a bit expensive but we took it anyway, just for the convenience. The breakfast buffet is quite adequate, including scrambled eggs and sausages. You can decide each morning whether or not you want breakfast, and you do not have to order it in advance.

Assuming you already have an admission ticket to the museum, the location of this hotel is ideal. The priority entrance to the Louvre through Passage Richelieu (second photo) is roughly 200 meters from the hotel. Passage Richelieu is normally the fastest way in to the Louvre, because no tickets are on sale there. We bought our tickets the night before at the Carrousel du Louvre, roughly 500 meters from the hotel.

Update 2013: The priority entrance to the Louvre for individual ticket holders is now through the Pyramid, not the Passage Richelieu. The entrance in Passage Richelieu is now reserved for groups with prior reservations, who are assigned an entrance time so that only one group can enter at once.

The Hôtel Louvre Bons Enfants is still a very convenient location, however. To enter the Louvre with an individual advance ticket you simply walk through the Passage Richelieu and a few meters further on to the Pyramid.

Speaking of Richelieu, he lived in this hotel, or rather in the building that is now the hotel, from 1616 to 1617 for a few months while he was Secretary of State for War and Foreign Affairs. (He later became Prime Minister under King Louis XIII.)

Earlier, from 1597 to 1600, the building belonged to Antoine d'Estrees, who was Grand Master of the Artillery and the father of Gabrielle d'Estrees, the favorite mistress of King Henri IV.

Our room was small but comfortable, with a very narrow hallway leading to it. The only noise was from a cooling unit out in the courtyard, which was not very loud but might bother someone who was a light sleeper.

There are several pleasant restaurants and pubs nearby and also a large Vélib’ station (1013) with 64 docking stands (called “bases” on the English-language side of the Vélib’ website).

Next review from January 2012: Galerie Véro-Dodat

Directions: Vélib’ 1013
    48°51'46.11" North, 2°20'17.67" East
    200 meters from the Louvre, Passage Richelieu

More about Hotel Louvre Bons Enfants

enjoyed the Hotel Louvre Bons Enfants

by TripAdvisor Member thuggersmom

The hotel was in a great location just a block from the Louvre and the underground Metro. There were English speaking clerks who were very helpful and considerate. The adapter for my sleep apnea machine was too old, so they provided me with another one. The night clerk was very helpful with directions to local grocery store and how to cut back on dining expenses. The rooms were small, but very clean and well maintained. The breakfasts were very good as well. It is a quaint but very enjoyable hotel. We totally enjoyed our stay.

Location, Location, Location

by TripAdvisor Member MichaelPJohnson

I loved the Hotel Louvre Bons Enfants. It was charming, and the staff was very helpful. The location can't be beat for the price. It is a stone's throw away from the Louvre, and tucked away on an extremely quite little street. I highly recommend the hotel while you are in Paris.

Perfect Location!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Chi-Town-In-Texas

Extremelyy small rooms and hallways (be careful with large luggage), but wonderfully located!! But, hey it's Paris and why are you spending time in your room. The room was clean and the staff was helpful.

This hotel is perfectly located by the Louvre and the Metro, you cannot go wrong with the price (which includes taxes). I would definitely stay here again!

Great location, and VERY clean !!!

by TripAdvisor Member rare2go

We arrived early, about 10:00 am, and were dismayed to find a man behind the desk who embodied every negative characteristic that Americans attribute (generally without cause) to the French. He was rude, brusque, dour, nasty, and seemed to resent our very presence (watch out for him…he is tall and thin with bad skin and a greasy little pony tail). If I had not already paid for one night of lodging in advance, I would have turned around and walked out. As it turned out, he was the exception rather than the rule. The other desk person we encountered during our four nights here was an older gentleman, balding with gray hair, who was kind, pleasant, and went out of his way to be helpful. Other than Pony Tail, we did not encounter a single person anywhere in France that did not treat us as welcome guests. We had a wonderful time.

By the time Pony Tail allowed us to check in, some four and one half hours later, we found a tiny elevator, dark, narrow hallways, and a room that was VERY small even by European standards, although the bed was quite comfortable. There were no drawers, only cubbyholes in the tiny curtained space that passes for a closet. The room had a safe and a small refrigerator. The security lock on the door did not work.
The bathroom was wonderful. It had plenty of space and was brand new, bright and attractive, with good water pressure and lovely bath products. The separate WC (a really nice feature) was just as nice. The best feature of this establishment was the cleanliness.

Everything was spotless, and was maintained as such throughout our stay. The entire hotel is air conditioned, and the unit in our room was efficient and, most important, quiet. Each room also has a flat panel TV.
The location of this very small hotel is amazing. We were only seconds from the Palais Royale Metro station, and two minutes walk from the Louvre and the Rue de Rivoli. Angelina’s (the world’s best hot chocolate) is less than a five minute walk. Despite being so centrally located, we found the hotel to be very quiet, since it is located on a dead ended side street. There was not a bit of street noise in our room. There is a computer on the premises for the free use of the guests, and a small but inviting lobby for sitting and visiting.
I’m glad we didn’t walk out. I enjoyed my stay, and would recommend this hotel to friends. Just steer clear of Pony Tail!

Great area, great hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member DaynaNeil

Wow, great hotel. In my opinion, the best deal out there, when considering the location, and state of the hotel. The rooms were typical Paris size, so don't expect much room. The bathroom was great with a full north-american style shower. The rooms was very tastefully decorated. The staff were not terribly helpful for advise, but friendly nonetheless. Despite the hotel being sold out every night we were there, it was very quiet. Only 1 block from the metro station, cafes and of course the Louvre!!

Greaattt Location!

by TripAdvisor Member Bethy13

The hotel was in a fantastic location within easy walking distance to everything we wanted to see! The rooms were lovely and decorated with lots of thought. If we had to fault anything it would be the hall ways! They were tiny and very dark. Apart from that it was an a very nice hotel which made out trip to Paris even more speical! Thank you x

Superb Bons Enfants

by TripAdvisor Member OzTraveller24

A perfectly located hotel for visiting the Louvre, so close that on a couple of occasions we returned to the hotel for a rest prior to setting out for another visit to that fantastic museum.
Hotel was nicely fitted out and clean, very pleasant and helpful staff. We would certainly stay again.

Lovely Little Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member bebedee

This was a really charming little hotel - The rooms are tiny but clean & modern. The best thing about this hotel is the location, right opposite the Louvre or turn left to go to Notre Damn or right a walk down to the Tower. It's really easy to go to as right opposite the Palais Royal Metro stop. We stayed for 2 nights in September. The hotel lobby is open 24 hours and the staff that we met were friendly and helpful. I must say again that this is a TINY hotel with very small corridors but it served our purpose and you can't beat the location.

All in all i Love Paris - the only down side is the cost of food and drink - much more than i would even pay London, in some areas they were charging 10 Euros for a pint of beer!!!

Fantastic Hotel, Fantastic Location!

by TripAdvisor Member Irishgirl81

I booked this hotel just after my parents had booked it for their own trip. I knew that my parents are extremely fussy about where they stay so I knew it would be fine.

When I arrived I was delighted at how charming the hotel was and the location was amazing. I have stayed in Paris many times and I have to say this was the best hotel and location so far. The rooms are small but beautifully decorated, the rooms are very clean and attended daily. The staff were extremely helpful and I liked this hotel so much I am returning to stay there in the next week. I have also recommended this hotel to many friends, family and work colleagues.

Comments