Hotel Montpensier

Montpensier
Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

• largsmith's Profile Photo

Location, Location, Location

We stayed three nights at the Montpensier in the heart of Paris. It is close to everything, and we walked everywhere. The Louvre is only a block away. The rooms, though dated (because of the age of the building) were clean and well-maintained. The ensuite bathrooms were more than adequate. Take note, that the building is old and has settled over the decades and the floors are somewhat sloping to a slight degree. The lift will only accommodate one person with luggage, or two people without; a minor inconvenience. There are plenty of restaurants in close proximity as well as stores where one can purchase a liter of wine to enjoy an ensuite nightcap. The staff was extremely helpful, as was everyone else in Paris. This was an enjoyable stay in a hotel well-worth the price. I would definitely encourage anyone on a budget to try this hotel. Again, the location is absolutely unbeatable. I will stay here again when I come back.

Unique Quality: It's location to everything worth seeing is unbeatable.

A friendly staff was the icing on the cake.

The price was very affordable.

The rooms were very clean and maintained daily.

Directions: Louvre Museum area

More about Hotel Montpensier

Make Sure You Get a Quiet Room

We were in Paris from Feb 23 to Feb 27. We had a great time and stayed at Hotel Montpensier all 4 nights. I have two comments to make.

First of all, you cannot get a better location. It was a 2 minute walk to the Louvre and was a 1 minute walk to the nearest Metro station.

Second, your stay in the hotel can be tremendous or barely acceptable. This is totally dependent on the room. The first 3 nights we stayed in Room 18 - right next to the elevator. DO NOT STAY IN THIS ROOM. Starting at about 5:30am, people start getting on the elevator and it sounded like they were literally throwing their bags on the elevator.

We asked to be moved and they put us in Room 44. What a world of difference! It was in a more secluded part of the hotel and it was much quieter. And because it had a smaller bathroom, it was less expensive.

So my final recommendation is to get a room at this hotel but make sure you get a quiet room. Don't get the room on the internet, actually call the hotel. They speak English so don't hesitate to call direct and ask for a room as far away from the elevator as possible (like room 44).

Will stay again

by TripAdvisor Member JanaMarie0629

Two friends and I stayed at this hotel in early April, 2006. I reserved a single room for myself but, upon arrival, I found my room on the top floor in a very narrow and lonely hallway. This is not too bad during the day, but at night the hallway is quite dark and deserted. Since all hallway lights are on timers and I had a difficult time opening my door using the old-time key, I had to stand in this dark and lonely hall for many, many minutes trying to open my room door. Once I got into my room, I decided to ask for a different, safer-feeling room. Despite being nearly full, the Montpensier staff worked hard to oblige my request. I spent my first night in a huge room big enough for 5 or 6 people and the other 3 nights in a good sized and comfortable room with twin beds on the 3rd floor. (Note – this final room cost 13 euros more per night than the single room that was originally booked for me. I think 13 euros was a good price to pay for feeling safer!) Our fellow Montpensier guests seemed to come from many parts of the world – Europe, Japan, Canada, the Middle East and the United States.

As everyone says, the Hotel Montpensier is very close to the Palais Royal Metro stop, the Comedie Francais and the Louvre. The neighborhood has many restaurants as well as a patisserie (or three!), a Monoprix, and high-end clothing shops. The only complaint I have about the neighborhood is that there are no internet cafes nearby. This was an issue for me since my father was seriously ill. As another reviewer wrote earlier, be sure to try Chez Stella for lunch or dinner. The staff is fun and very friendly. Since there are only 2 very long tables in Chez Stella, you'll be seated next strangers and, as a result, you may get a chance to meet some of the local residents. Isn’t that what travel is all about?

Oh, such a handy location

by TripAdvisor Member wynmead

This place so close to La Louvre. Hey, it's a 2 star, with a quaint lift and funny rooms but everything is clean and works. Every person I dealt with were friendly and obliging. The breakfast was perfectly adequate unless you need a fry up. And so handy to La Louvre. I'll be back there in a flash if we return to Paris.
PS we were there for three nights from 6th Sep 05.

Great Value and Location

This hotel is in a great location, footsteps from the Louvre and the metro stop. Our room was small but adequate and clean. We had the most economical double room (70 euro), which had only bidet and sink, but the bathroom down the hall was used exclusively by us. There was no internet access in the hotel, but there was an affordable internet point less than a block away. The nearby cafes are mostly frequented by tourists, due to the proximity to the Louvre. There is little to no nightlife in the immediate area, but this is a plus for those who want to stay in a quiet area. Overall, this is highly recommended due to the value and great location.

Location Location Location

My fiancee and I stayed at the Montpensier in September and were both very happy with the accommadations and of course the location. We were only in Paris for one night so it was very important that we were close to the main attractions. The Louvre and the Notre Dame Cathedral were a short walk away. The Eiffel Tower is a short cab ride. The rooms are small but sufficient. The bathrooms are newly renovated and a decent size. The staff was very friendly and and assisted us with any questions we had. If you are looking for a place that is clean and convenient this is the hotel for you. Not to mention the price is very reasonable.

Excellent location but weird room

by TripAdvisor Member SophieEllis

I had some doubt when I booked the hotel. When we arrived, the hotel lobby is small but nice, so I thought the room would be ok. We stayed in a twin bedroom. The room's door is very small that it can be mistaken for a store room. As I expected, the room was small. One thing that I was not comfortoble with, is the bathroom where the wall are not completely up to the ceiling. I may not stay in the hotel again unless they get me a room with a completely closed bathroom. But what can you expect from a 2 star hotel in Paris with excellent location, easy access to Metro and Louvre.

good enough

by TripAdvisor Member prodigalwriter

i was looking forward to staying in this hotel for our european trip since the pictures in their website proved too cute for me to resist booking a quad room for two nights while we stayed in paris.

our stay was neither good nor bad since we didn't get any rudeness from anyone, the hotel keys worked, the floorboards did not creak (considering the hotel to be 300 years old as the receptionist informed us) or any other complaints. so i guess i should write that we were ignored or left alone by the people there.

the room was of good size, the beds comfortable and the heaters worked marvelously. i almost slipped in the bathroom while i was getting out of the shower cause the tub was too hight from the bathroom floor. be careful. oh...we asked for a quad room but the room could also fit up to six people...i dont know though it the hotel allows 6 people in a room cause we found another bed inside the closet.

the best thing about the hotel was its central location. near the metro to everywhere and a few minutes walk to the louvre.

Yes, cheap, good location and big rooms

by TripAdvisor Member annemary

Stayed in quadruple nr 11, 2 kids, 2 adults. One big room with two doublebeds and there was also one single bed, so a fifth person could have fitted in as well. Our room was on third floor and faced Rue de Montpensier, which is not too noisy as Rue de Richelieu was. Little shabby decoration and bumpy floor, but for the price, exceptable. Didn´t talk much with staff, but everybody was polite and friendly. Didn´t even try to use the elevator, which was TINY. If you are first time in Paris, this hotel location is perfect. It´s in neighbourhood of Palais Royal and Louvre and Tuileries garden.

Great location next to Louvre

by TripAdvisor Member BrickHouse23

Great location right next to the Louvre. Rooms aren't anything special but they are clean and have nice large bathrooms. Watch out for their breakfast. We thought it was a free continental breakfast. Turns out they're 8 euro per person! Overall a nice place. I'd stay there again.

Comments