Hotel Observatoire Luxembourg Paris

Hotel Observatoire Luxembourg
Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Rated 11% higher but also costs 42% more than other 3 star hotels

• jrs1234's Profile Photo

Nice little hotel near the Luxembourg Gardens.

I got a good deal on this hotel, and it turned out to be a pretty nice place. Although the room was pretty tiny - just enough space to walk around the double bed, it was clean, pretty well-equipped and the bed was comfortable. The room was quiet, too, although getting one of the rooms at the rear of the hotel probably helped there.

The bathroom was pretty compact - no bath, but it had a good shower.

Apart from a wildly over-priced minibar, the room also had cable TV, so I ended up watching quite a bit of CNN first thing in the morning - and air conditioning as well. It was a bit of a cool summer, so I didn't really need the air-con.

The hotel did a pretty good breakfast too, but the best thing was the location - a short walk across the road to the Luxembourg Gardens, and handy for both RER/Metro and bus routes. A nice hotel.

Directions: Just a few steps from the southern exit of the Luxembourg RER station, right on Boulevard Saint Michel.

More about Hotel Observatoire Luxembourg Paris

Excellent service from a quaint hotel

by TripAdvisor Member SpanishWineGuy

I recently returned from a week-long stay at the Hotel Observatoire-Luxembourg. The staff was extremely helpful and all of the front desk staff spoke very good English. The room was very clean and had a very nice view of a garden. ONE CAUTION: Make sure you check to see if your reservation includes breakfast. I thought mine did and was suprised to find out five days (and $100) later that mine was not. The breakfast IS excellent, but if you're not a big breakfast eater you can find a quick bite to eat anywhere on the street. I would recommend this hotel.

Cozy elegance!

We've just returned from 10 days (Nov. 5 - 15) in Paris staying at the Hotel Observatoire-Luxembourg. I can't begin to tell you how pleased we were. It was clean, quaint and very friendly. Our room was small, but very nice and cozy. We were on the 5th (top) floor in room 507. Such a beautiful view. We were located so close to everything, within walking distance to so many wonderful sites. I highly recommend this hotel. The staff members were incredible, not only with their friendliness, but genuine care for their guests. We had a crisis upon arrival with lost luggage, but the girl at the front desk, who I can't remember her name, was wonderful and relentless in calling the airport to locate it. All went well and the trip went great from then on. Sabina was so very nice too, even help carry our luggage out when we left! If we ever go back to Paris, which I'm sure we will, this will be the only place we'll stay. Mary

Great Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member George88

We just returned from a 10-day visit to France, having spent four nights at the Observatoire- Luxembourg (which was followed by a visit to Lyon, and then two more nights in Paris before flying home). We stayed at two different hotels during this "split trip" to Paris to compare experiences, neighborhoods, etc. We would definitely return to the Observatoire-Luxembourg and definitely would NOT return to the other hotel (Hotel du Cadran).

The O-L Hotel: my husband and I really enjoyed our stay at this property! We were traveling with another American couple who was also pleased with the accommodations. The staff was very friendly, helpful, and conscientious. Our room was #206, overlooking the corner of St. Michel Boulevard. Although the street is very busy, we had no problems with street noise. The room itself was very small but comfortable. The walls were covered in a lovely gold fabric in perfect condition, topped with a pretty crown molding. The draperies were also lovely--a very pretty green, pink, and gold stripe in a heavy, lined fabric, also in perfect condition. Flowers outside the window were a nice touch. The bed was amazingly comfortable and the pillows weren't too bad either! The marble bathroom was very roomy and had a huge window with swinging glass doors which opened in. It was equipped with the usual amenities as well as a hair dryer. The towels were quite large and in good condition. Overall, we were very pleased with our room. Housekeeping was very thorough.

The Location: the hotel is located in the midst of the Latin Quarter and within walking distance of everything on the Left Bank. The RER is about 10 seconds away. Recovering from jet lag the first night, we even walked back to our hotel from the Eiffel Tower along the Seine, and it was very pleasant. And of course, the Luxembourg Gardens are virtually across the street and were still lovely in October!

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone traveling in Paris, and would feel comfortable staying here if I were traveling alone. Bon voyage!

Excellent Location

by TripAdvisor Member Only_the_truth

This hotel was located 1 min from Metro and across road from the beautiful Luxembourg Gardens. It's also on the Paris Tourist Bus route , so all attractions are easily reached. Room was comfortable with excellent air-con (needed as it was 30c outside) and soundproofing. Staff helpful. We found this an excellent base for exploring the left bank. When we return to Paris (still plenty to see & do), we will have this hotel high on out list.
Only quibble was breakfast - not really worth the price but we didn't find a good alternative the 3 days we were there.

Ok place to stay

This hotel was in a good location, and if you can get a room at the low end, it is a good deal. However, the rooms are loud (right over the busy street) and the hotel has ultimate contol over the air conditioning and fan (which they turn off at whim). The bathrooms were very nice, as were the people at the front desk. However, they were not the most helpful, in fact, we had to get help from the front desk at another hotel at one point! I believe that you can get more charm at another hotel, if that is what you are going for.

Cute and comfortable

Despite some initial confusion about the reservation (the hotel couldn't verify my credit card before check-in), the 2-night stay (10/1-10/3) was lovely. We had a 1st floor with a window that opened onto the street, but the room was amazingly quiet. Temperature was also fine. Our room was a deluxe twin so it didn't feel as cramped as it could have. The bathroom was large enough with a full tub and shower. I liked the hot pot to heat water for tea. The hotel staff was very friendly, offering us information and suggestions for the best ways to get around the city. Having an RER station across the street was very convenient.

Great little hotel in a very convenient location

We really enjoyed our stay at the hotel. It was conveniently located a half block from an RER stop on a direct line from CDG (get out at the Abbe de Leppe sortie). It is very close to the major left bank attractions - we often walked to the Notre Dame cathedral, San Caplelle and the restaraunts close by. It is right on the Boulevard San Michele, which can be somewhat noisy, but merely shutting the window blocks it all out.
Staff was friendly & helpful. The rooms were clean, nice & didn't have that old stale smoke odor. Bathroom was very nice by euro standards. My wife & I were there celebrating our 25th anniversary for a week. We will definitely stay there next time we're in town.

A good bet

Reasonable hotel and a good bet on your buck. Located in the 6th, across from Luxumbourg Gardens, in a very wealthy and quiet area with a few minutes’ walk from the Latin Quarter. Very convenient if you’re flying out of Charles de Gaulle, as the RER (and metro) is just a few feet away! It’s not exactly a bustling area like rue Mouffetard or rue Rivoli, but it’s within reasonable distance to the livelier areas. If you value some peace and quiet in a big city like Paris, you’ll appreciate their location! The staff was extremely friendly and helpful in recommending various restaurants in the area. (There are tons of good options near the Sorbonne area, in the 4th and 5th). Rooms are tight, as most are in Paris, but beds are comfortable, and there is central air conditioning which is very key in late August! Bathrooms are small, but tubs are clean enough, but not exactly worthy of a bubble bath.

Great place

by TripAdvisor Member katlive

Stayed here for our 25th anniversary and couldn't have enjoyed it more. The employees were absolutely fabulous and so very helpful. Our room 503 was perfect. It overlooked a garden in the back of the hotel and was a quiet, nice not too small room. I think it was one of the best rooms in the hotel. Very reasonable -
As previously discussed, it is close to the Metro which takes you anywhere within a short time - loved it and got quite a kick out of my first underground transportation. I would definitely recommend this hotel

hotel observatoire luxembourg

by talalhusari

has anyone stayed here??? how good was it?.... or bad!

thanks talal

RE: hotel observatoire luxembourg

by cs94wahoo

When asked if I would recommend the hotel again on its questionnaire, I was a little hesitant to answer. It would depend on the situation. It was certainly an acceptable place to stay, and I had a few gripes, but not enough to give it a thumbs down. However, if I had the money, I would have stayed in another four-star in the city with a few more amenities.

The rooms weren’t terribly insulated, so I could hear my neighbors next door. I could also hear what was going on downstairs on the street with the cars and the people at the cafés. Also, I couldn’t use my calling card on the hotel phone – we had to find a pay phone outside. And there was this incredibly heavy weight on the end of the key, so you had to leave it at the front desk when you went out. I would have preferred to carry it with me, but whatever.

But if you're not planning on spending a lot of time in your room, it's a place to lay your head. :)

RE: RE: hotel observatoire luxembourg

by CALSF

It's a well-located hotel (Hotel Observatoire Luxembourg) right across the street from Jardin du Luxembourg and it's located on the Blvd. St. Michel (goes straight down to the Seine). Stayed at their sister hotel (Relais Saint Jacques) a side street up from the Observatoire Luxembourg. Loved the area as it is near the Pantheon and the rue Mouffetard as well. Check tripadvisor.com for comments on the hotel. Seems to be very good other than complaints of rooms being tiny which is usual in Paris.

Comments