Hotel Royal Monceau - Raffles Paris

maybe look up
20th arrondissement
Palace of Versailles- is awesome
and you have to go to Les Catacombs
try eating at cafe Conti its good food
heres good itlian food
heres a nice bistro
Clos Des Gourmets
16 Avenue Rapp
7th
and to get away and have a nice view and dine try here
Parisian Beach
Port Javel
15th

hope this helps do you know of anyplaces not to go to
if you do will you put it in my blog thank you

QUARTIER LATIN

by nygaston

Good Restaurants:
L' Atlas, Bd St Germain
Buisson Ardent, *** Rue de Jussieu
Mavrommatis, *** rue Daubenton
La Tour d'argent, ***** Menu = 70 to 250 Euros
Le Belier, rue des beaux arts
Les Bouquinistes *** I love this restaurant
Brasserie Lipp, no so good
Dominique, *** rue de brea (I like this place)
Epi Dupin, rue Dupin
Lutetia ***, bd Raspail
Chez Maitre Paul ***

THE BEST RESTAURANTS ***** (Expensive)
L' Arpege
Ritz L'espadon
Royal Monceau, le jardin, 37 Ave Foche
Vernet, les elysees

French chic, ParisFrench chic, Paris

Style over substanceStyle over substance

Ste Chapelle - exterior viewSte Chapelle - exterior view

SECOURS - SACRED HEART BASILICASECOURS - SACRED HEART BASILICA

5star hotel in Paris

by Gkap

We are a family of 3 (2 adult and 1 teenager) and we are going to visit paris in September.We want to stay at the Mandarin Oriental Royal Monceau or at Raphael and we want to know which of them is better
Thanks in advance

Re: 5star hotel in Paris

by CALSF

Hi, The Raphael is in the 16th district which is a bit further from the city center. But it's closer to the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe, and the Champs Elysees.
It gets very good comments on tripadvisor.com. I don't think you should pay attention to a couple of very negative comments there as it looks like the same person might have made them. They look very suspicious and unfounded.

As to the Mandarin Oriental Royal Monceau, the Mandarin Oriental Group just began managing this hotel in June '04. But while it was the Royal Monceau it got very good comments as well-check tripadvisor.com again. The location is close to the Champs Elysees in the 8th district.

Actually either hotel would be good just the location preference would matter.

Five star hotels in France

by Manara

This afternoon I talked on the phone with a lady from Strasbourg and she told me there are no five star hotels in France, which I find hard to believe.
I had been told before that for some tax reason many hotels in France are "undestarred", and I can believe that in Strasbourg no hotel has five stars, but in the whole country?
I would bet that at least in Paris the Ritz, the Plaza Athenee, the Meurice and Royal Monceau must have five stars. Am I wrong?

by GUYON

THere are not 5 stars in France but **** L (L for luxurious). It's the same. This class applies to the palaces.

by F_Meignant

The French system stops at 3 stars... The top.
You can find information on:

Have a nice trip!
François

by alza

Interesting! sorry I don't have time to check out those links. But one thing for sure, if I'm at the GeorgeV or the Ritz, I'll know I'm seeing stars. Enough stars to think I'm in some sort of fairy tale.
A great hotel is much more than just a place to sleep! :-) sometimes...

by fabrice

I am happy I do not work in these hotels

I work now in a **** hotel , and people treat us as dogs

by alza

i agree with you Fabrice. Any hotel that treats its employees like dogs is NOT great. And I would not like to stay there as a guest.

But I can't say that the George V or the Ritz Vendome treat their employees like dogs, I don't know and I won't make a judgement without knowing facts first-hand (not "someone told me..." or "I heard that..." hehe)

I saw a TV documentary about one of the great hotels in Deauville, there were issues between management and employees, as everywhere, but they worked them out rather well. The place seemed swell. I would have loved to stay there a few days. :-)

Best of luck in working at a better place! :-)

by fabrice

well, most of the problems we have come from the guests : they treat us as dogs

not all of them of course

but we had last summer people who were so nasty, I wonder if they are not actors paid by the hotel to test us

by alza

LOL I worked for the Parole Board here a while. The calls I got from the family of inmates were so crude, I was sure they came from our Chief Commissioner, to test my patience and politeness with the swearers! LOL.
I was so patient and polite I think I drove the callers nuts! Catch me if you can! LOL

by Manara

I hear sometimes from people working in hotels about guests who are really obnoxious, and I also hear that a good number are rude to the staff. I think these people must be intrinsically nasty, or utterly stupid.

Hotels with Swimming pools?

by Clarey

Hi. I am planning on taking my 11 year old son to Paris next summer for a week and Im looking for hotels with a swimming pool. We both swim most days so its quite important to us. Would like to stay quite central.
Thanks
Clare

by CALSF

Hi, Parisian hotels with swimming pools are rare. Only deluxe hotels (and not all) have them such as The Ritz and The Royal Monceau.

by Clarey

Hi and thanks for replying. Are there any good public pools with nice hotels near by?
Thanks again
Clare

by CALSF

Here are a few that I found in my guidebook:

Piscine St.-Germain @ 12 rue de Lobineau, 75006

by CALSF

Sorry I hit 'return' by mistake.

Piscine St. Germain's phone no. is 01-43-29-08-15 and metro is Mabillon. Says it's a nice pool with a parent observation area. Cost is 3 euro.

Also you can try Aquaboulevard in Montparnasse @ rue Louis-Armand, 75015
Metro is Balard, phone no. is 01-40-60-10-00
It has a large wave pool and water slides. Admission is 6 hours for 20 euro (adults), 10 euro (kids).

Both are indoor pools.

Also since you are going in summer if you'll be in Paris ( I believe it runs from mid-July to August) you can experience Paris Plage where part of the Seine is turned into a 'beach' area by Pont Neuf, Pont au Change, and Notre Dame.

by CALSF

You're welcome. I hope that helps and I'm sure you both will enjoy your Parisian summer!

by Beausoleil

If you both want to swim every day, the Piscine St. Germain would be best for you. The Hotel le Clement is across the street and is a very nice hotel. You can book on http://www.france.com by clicking on the hotel search button right under their search window. It's about 126 euros for a double and would be very convenient to the swimming pool. It is also within walking distance of most major tourist sites and close to two or three Metro stations. Mabillon Metro is right around the corner.

We've booked on France.com often and they are very reliable. We've never had a problem.

Enjoy your trip.

Hi
I have now booked 7 nights at the Hotel Victoria Chatelet after reading lots of reviews on hotels. I know it doesnt have a pool and might not be near to one but the hotel looks and sounds nice.
Thanks for your help.

by CALSF

Clarey, it's a great hotel; I've read the reviews. Rooms are excellent and staff is superb. It is not in St. Germain but on the border of St. Germain and Montparnasse; it's on the Montparnasse side more. You will enjoy your stay judging from past guests' comments. Have an excellent trip to Paris-will be special I'm sure.

Travel Tips for Paris

Warning "sidewalk toilettes" without paying

by Derek1992

Thanks to: http://www.travellady.com/Issues/June05/1520atoilettimidtourists.htm for the following paragraph:

Going hi-tech
The coin operated automatic street toilets are tremendous. My first experience with such a high-tech self cleaning toilet (complete with rocking toilet seats and music) was in Paris.

At this juncture I feel compelled to issue a couple of warning.

After you’ve fed it the required coinage, the door opens automatically and you walk into a newly disinfected wet floored toilet. Actually, the whole toilet is decontaminated and dosed with disinfectant following each use, leaving a wet seat. You have fifteen minutes to go, so there can be no hanging about as the door automatically open, exposing you to the world.

My teenage son thought he could save a few coins by ducking in whilst someone was exiting. No doubt he had forgotten my warnings of earlier and was promptly sanitised -- the toilet received no payment so thought it was empty and retracted the toilet bowl into the wall (with him still on it), then sprayed him with sterilizer.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This person's teenage son had the same "experience" as I did. Last year, my friend Robbie and I were on a school trip to Paris (we're both Americans born in 1992; last year was 2007).
We were walking together when nature called. Robbie had to urinate while I had to do "both." (We described our actions more "vulgarly," but I'll keep it clean for this forum).

Robbie went in first to urinate. He came out and held the door open for me. I went in and, within no more than 20 seconds after I pulled down my pants and sat on the toilet, I felt the toilet pull back from my bare butt. I didn't know what the heck was going on! The bathroom then began to "self-sanitize." I got a little wet, but I was more shocked than anything. Robbie heard the unusual noise and was banging on the door to see if I was all right. I tried to open the door but it wouldn't open until the sanitizing was finished.

After that, I opened the door (my pants were pulled up, but I was at that point about to mess myself) and fumbled for change. Luckily, Robbie had the correct change. He put the change in the slot. After I shut the door, the toilet then folded out like a sofa couch. I was then able to pull down my pants and sit on the toilet. The room actually smelled pretty nice after the sanitation, but any pleasant smell was soon overcome by my "duty." I had to go a lot and I was in there for nearly 15 minutes. There was just enough time for me to wipe (yes, there was toilet paper in there) and wash my hands. Just as I finished, the door automatically opened.

I later found out that these toilets are on a 15 minute timer. The bathroom sinks weren't that thorough, so luckily I had some Purell (an alcohol hand cleaning gel) which I rubbed on my hand and between my fingers.

Nick and I had a good laugh about this afterwards. We warned other classmates (especially the girls, since they have to sit regardless) not to sneak in for free after somebody else has used one of those sidewalk toilettes.

The French are very proud of...

by helimaarit

The French are very proud of their language. Even though you don't know French, try. If not more, then just few words.
Good day/morning=Bonjour
Good Evening=Bonsoir
And always smile!

Good tips for your pocket!

by Ivik

If you are thinking to visit the Louvre museum, please bear in mind that the first sunday of the month the entrance is free!!!
You'll have a lot of people queuing (but was preatty fast for us!!) and the same people with you inside the museum!!

It's a very interesting museum to visit and takes about a day or more than half day do see it all!

Si estás pensando en visitar el museo de Louvre, por favor tené en cuenta que el primer domingo del mes la entrada es libre!!!
Vas a tener mucha gente haciendo cola (que para nosotros fue bastante rápida!!) y la misma gente con vos recorriendo el museo!!

Es un museo muy interesante para visitar y te lleva como un día o más de medio día para verlo todo!

Comments