Hotel Saint-Paul

Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 45% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Hotel Saint-Paul

Comfy and Clean. Great Location

The price was great - we had a "junior suite" with a 4 poster bed on the 1st floor. I think the extra space was worth a few extra euros. Front desk clerks (especially the one on the weekend) were extremely friendly. great blinds to shut out the light so we could sleep late. really high ceilings (14 ft at least) made the room seem larger. bed was ACTUALLY a double bed, not just 2 twins pushed together like I've had at other Paris hotels. Location is wonderful - quiet side street in the St. Germain, which is a wonderful area to stay in.

Poor Service

Clean hotel, was in a slightly claustraphobic top floor room (significant slanted ceiling). Gaudy wallpaper, but decent ameneties. Service from reception was appalling. Wouldn't provide an iron, and wouldn't allow me to use their iron. Despite many (polite) pleas was left without option. Wouldn't ever go back.

Great location, not a great hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member samwatts

We just returned from a 6 night stay at the Hotel St. Paul St. Germain in Paris. This was our third trip, during which we decided that next time we will increase our hotel budget!

Although this hotel is in a wonderful area, it is not what we were hoping for (i.e.: a small, old hotel with charm and good service).

We paid 130E ($156) per night for a "Superior" room. It was one of the largest rooms that we have had in Paris (we could walk around the bed and were not constantly run into each other), and the bathroom was newly refurbished with pretty coral coloured marble. There were great big new windows that opened up to the street, with flowers in the boxes. The ceilings were at least 15 feet high, with original ,or at least they looked that way...The photo attached is the view down the street from our window.

Sounds wonderful, you say?

Well, we thought so, too. Until we tried to actually sleep.

We were tired after just completing a 105 mile hike in the Cotswolds and then taking the Eurostar over, and turned in about 11:30 pm, after another wonderful Parsian meal. Since it was hot, and the room had no AC, we were forced to leave those big beautiful windows open. That's when we discovered that the lively street activity continued until the wee hours of the morning. As the sun started coming up, around 4:30 am, the people finally started going home. Then, around 6:30, the morning activity started up. Garbage trucks (daily!) and deliveries.

The next morning, I spoke with the reception, who told me that all of the superior rooms faced the street. She assured me that this was a Saturday night phenomenom. She said that on Saturdays, people were "happy", and that we would not have the problem again. Needless to say, it was a continual problem. And we live in San Francisco. It is not as if we expected the silence of the countryside.

The management was not at all concerned by our problem, and after asking to be moved to ANY other room, just gave up. We actually welcomed the change in weather, as the rain allowed us to close the windows without suffocation!

In addition to 6 nights without sleep, there is a problem in this hotel with hot water. We had only lukewarm (ok when it is hot, but not when it is not!) water for days. Then that stopped, too!

I complained to the front desk, and they said that they would check into it. After another day of cold showers, I complained and they told me that the boiler was being repaired. When my husband suggested, at check out, that they discount our stay due to the lack of hot water, the reception clerk told him that it was only one afternoon! (The same one that I had complained to twice!)

Unfortunatley, we had friends coming into town for one night, and they also booked rooms at the hotel. Upon their (late) arrival, they found that their bookings were all messed up. One father, traveling with his daugher, had specifically requested a twin room. When he received a double, they switched rooms for him...giving him a bigger double. The other family of three (who booked as such) was shown to one of the smallest rooms in the hotel! (I eventually saw many of the rooms during this fiasco). When they finally just asked for a second room (so they could all sleep in a bed!) the man working the desk appeared unwilling to rent them an empty room! We ended up waiting (drinking the contents of the mini bar!) while he called (who?) to see if it was okay! Very odd, when clearly there were rooms available...also, why couldn't I move into one of them in the back, if they were open?

So, while we loved the location, and aspects of the hotel were good, we will not return. We did see our other friends suite at the Hotel Lutetia, and might consider staying there next time. Pricey, but beautiful!

very good indeed

by TripAdvisor Member ukiwil1

We stayed 3 nights at the saint paul oct 9th to 12th.
Booking via email received swift accurate responses and confirmation came quickly.
Location is very good - safe and only a short walk to transport + very good restaurants.Staff very helpful in recommending where to eat etc.
We found the room very clean , though small even by Paris standards - so would suggest asking for a twin rather than double.
Would definitely recommend it and stay again.

Quaint and Quiet

by TripAdvisor Member cac

My husband and I stayed at the St. Paul on our first trip to Paris (and Europe). After reading all the reviews about TINY european hotel rooms, we were delighted to find ourselves in a spacious, airy room with a delightful view of the street. (It is the one on the Saint Paul homepage with the blue wall behind the white bed). We even had a small table and chair set and sofa area! The bathroom was very clean and newly refurbished. The hotel had a wonderful old European air about it, and the staff were very friendly (even loaning my husband some money until the exchangers opened later the day!).

Paris was half way through our trip, so we were delighted to find a coin laundry right across the street - bonus!

The location is great - close enough to major transportation, resturants, and sights, but quiet. We did hear the garbage trucks in the morning, but it was really not a big deal.

We never made it to the resturant in the hotel as we always opted for little bakeries for morning treats!

We felt that we had a great experience here and sure appreciated all the reviews we had read on tripadvisor!

Quaintish in a great location.

by TripAdvisor Member RoamingRiddhi

We stayed here from January 14 for four nights, paying 122 Euros per night. The location is the best feature, being within walking distance of the Louvre, Notre Dame, two Metros, the RER and some great clothes shops. It felt very safe.

Our room (#14) was classified a superior on the first floor (i.e., up one level from ground) with a four-poster double bed. The room size was good - we did not feel squeezed in and the bath room was large and clean. We did not eat breakfast here since 12 Euro was expensive.

Since it was our honeymoon I had asked for a romatic room, and did not feel that particular room had too much charm. The four poster bed was a different twist, but the room furnishings felt a little sterile, and did not live up to the quaint charm I had read so much about. For example, the wall was a bland cream colour, the pictures I found depressing and the drapes were a miserable blue colour. The radiator heat was also never really cranked up, although on our part we did not report this to the front desk. We did ask front desk to tell our noisy neighbours to turn down their music at 3 a.m. once, and the front desk (and the neighbours) promptly did so.

The room size and location were good, but sadly the oodles of charm that I was anticpating were lacking. Would probably shop around for another place next time.

Good hotel, good location

by TripAdvisor Member RB-2004

We spent a very pleasant long weekend in Paris and the location of this hotel is excellent for strolls to the Seine, and good restaurants. Our room was tiny, but quiet. It seems from talking to other guests that a superior room at the front has space but suffers from delivery noise and noisy students during the night. As we were only in the hotel to sleep, we were happy to be at the back. Breakfast was included in our package and was good. Service throughout was attentive. We will be staying here again.

A Happy Family!

by TripAdvisor Member montrealmom

We were guests for 6 nights. This hotel was perfect for us! We were traveling with our daughters 8&4yrs they just loved it!We had room # 2 on the ground floor which has 2 singles on the 1st floor & a double in the loft! Breakfast was included...croisants, pain au chocolat, ham, cheese, fruit & cereal, again perfect with the kids. The location is also great! The Odeon metro & RER are one block away. We walked to the Louvre, Notre Dame, D'Orsay, & so much more.
There is a crepe stand at the metro station which soon became my 8 yr old's favorite stop of the day..The staff at the hotel is very nice & helpful...I stayed alone with the kids for a couple of nights as my husband was out of town for a conference...we all felt very safe. An added bonus for us was the landrymat accross the street(as this is a residential hood)as anyone will children will attest acceess to a washing machine can really make anything better...including spilling 'chocolat chaud' all over your 4yr old's coat!!! We will be back!!! MERCI!

Very quaint hotel in nice location

by TripAdvisor Member Jacquio

Very good value for money. Decent sized room, clean, nice decor, not run down or shabby. Staff very pleasant. Good location for seeing Paris and max 5 mins from Odeon Station. have stayed in a few hotels in area at this price range and this has been the best so far!

Pricey

by TripAdvisor Member Frimeur

The hotel is quite nice. The location is excellent: you're within easy walking distance of everything in the 5th and 6th arrondissements, as well as the Seine, and you're close to the RER that goes to the airport. if you have a room facing away from the street it can be very quiet. There are plenty of great places to eat within a few blocks. The staff are excellent: very friendly and very helpful.

The room, a single, was quite small, especially the bathroom. I couldn't turn around in the shower without hitting the faucet (I'm 5'10" and 160 lbs). But you get used to it.

But the price was quite high for what you get, and breakfast costs an additional 12 euros (fortunately there is a bakery a block a way, and you can get a flan and eat in your room). And there was some gu\ouging: midway through the week they added 30 euros a day to my already-pricey room because there was a trade convention in town. This was noted up front, so there was nothing dishonest about it, but it still seemed like price gouging.

The room wasn't air-conditioned, which could be an issue in summer but was fine for mid-September.

All in all, I was pleased with the hotel and the staff and the location, but the high price left a bitter taste in my mouth. It was my first stay in Paris; next time I'll find a place slightly farther out at 60% of the price.

Hotel Saint-Paul (Latin Quarter)

by Lorisal

If anyone has feedback concerning this location I would appreciate it. I will be satying there in May and we reserved a Duplex room. My first choice was the Claridge Camps Elysees but they provided horrible Customer Service it took them over two weeks to answer my questions and then they were not even thorough.

Thanks for any feedback...

Re: Hotel Saint-Paul (Latin Quarter)

by GUYON

The hotel is located near the Luxembourg garden in St Germain but close to Quartier Latin. It is a *** hotel.
I guess the price takes into consideration the vicinity of the park. If it is high (> 150 euros) you can find cheaper in the same area.

Re: Re: Hotel Saint-Paul (Latin Quarter)

by GUYON

In the nearby rue de Tournon, there is the building in which the father of the US navy is dead : John Paul Jones.

Re: Re: Hotel Saint-Paul (Latin Quarter)

by Lorisal

Thank you for the quick response.

Hotels - quiet at night

by ACHOI

Thanks to all who provided me with various infomation regarding my search for accomodation in Paris. After reading through the hints and tips and also checking out the hotels websites/info, I don't quite know if the hotel is situated in a quiet area or not. As we are very light sleepers, noise at night will be unbearable.

I would appreciate if you can suggest some hotels with a quiet,safe night environment but still within walking distance to transportation.

by Beausoleil

ACHOI, The Paris street cleaners are up working every morning very early. If that kind of noise bothers you, simply ask for an inside room. It will probably be less expensive anyway because most people want to be on the street.

I stand my my recommendation of Hotel de la Sorbonne. It is a half block from Place de la Sorbonne and that is a half block of total silence at night. There are several nearby Metro stations and two RER stations. It is safe and quiet. You won't do much better unless you want to head to the suburbs. Then you have to spend time riding back and forth to do your sightseeing.

Have you thought of ear plugs? We use them on the plane but they would work equally well in a hotel.

I suggest :
Hotel Chopin 46 passage Jouffroy 9e arrondissement. This hotel is in a Passage not a street, so it is quiet. It is just beside the Musee Grevin (wax museum)of which the inhabitants are not noisy. The metro is very close (Richelieu-Drouot, Rue Montmartre)

An alternative : the hotels of Cite Bergere which is near the Hotel Chopin. The cite is a private street with no traffic and there are several good standard hotels (***).

by Sofia0412

Try Hotel Saint Paul, in the 6th, centrally located hotel and it is located in a very little street so it is very calm at night.It is a 3 star hotel, very nice, well-decorated, with profesional staff...

Appreciate your advice...

by Paula&Matt

We are off to Paris in february 2005 and am looking for a three star hotel in the latin quarter or central, can anyone recommend any? also any brits that know of a good place to get eurostar tickets /packages let me know!

Thanks everyone!

Paula & Matt

by CALSF

Hi, you're welcome to take a look at my Paris page which lists quite a few hotels that I've stayed at. My all-time favorite hotel is in St. Germain and it's called the Hotel Verneuil. I stayed at the Hotel Abbatial St. Germain which is not only in the Latin Qtr. but it's also a few blocks from the heart of St. Germain des Pres.

Have a very nice visit to Paris!

by derry

Best place for Eurostar deals is probably the Eurostar website itself - there's a dedicated 'special offers' section, although it's sometimes a bit bare. They also have various travel + hotel packages.
www.eurostar.com

by Jeannette1

A hotel I like is Grand Hotel des Balcons.

I recommended it to another VT member and they seemed to like it.
Check it out at www.balcons.com

It's only a 2 star hotels but it should be a 3 star.
Check my Paris page for more info.
Jeannette

by rexvaughan

I agree with Jeanette - I took her advice and stayed at the Grand Hotel des Balcons. It was great and in a really good location. Check her page out.

Re: suggestion

by Theofiel

If you are staying a week, why not try a studio apartment? We have stayed in studio apartments on 3 different occasions. We have used www.parisbestlodge,com worth a check, good luck

by Nickyrennes

Hi! The Latin Quarter is also one of my favourite place to stay...
Have a look at the Hotel Central Sant Germain: www.centralstgermain.com! A very good 3 star hotel where I really loved to stay!

by meheu

Try the Hotel Saint Paul, http://www.h-saintpaul.com/ a nice 3 stars hotel located in the center of the latin Quarter and Saint germain des pres. It is located in a great area, but in a calm street. The Hotel is a typical charming hotel with antique furnitures.It is ideal for a romantic stay.I hope it will be helpfull

by sureshkannan

Hi,

U can stay at Timohotel , at Place de italia, 2 people with kid can stay there comfortabley, per day they charge approx 50 euros with Good break fast.

Good location also, we stayed there last month.

regards
suresh

by Kris073

I just recently got back from a trip to Europe and was told about this great website from these people in Germany that made my trip in Paris so enjoyable: www.hrc.com. It is a website where you can get last-minute deals on hotel rooms that have not been sold yet. We stayed in hotel rooms in Paris that were supposed to cost 200 Euro/ night, but were sold to us for 40/night on the website. It is fantastic! You should definitely check it out...

by Kris073

sorry- i meant to write: www.hrs.com. that is the correct website. : )

Comments