Hotel Saintonge

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 54% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Hotel Saintonge

Dame à la Licorne: touchDame à la Licorne: touch

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust...Ashes to ashes, dust to dust...

Picture of front of Ste ChapellePicture of front of Ste Chapelle

unpretentious marker for ostentatious performerunpretentious marker for ostentatious performer

Best Paris district to stay

by Kestrel_soaring

Hi

I'll be in paris for 4 nights in October.

I'm thinking of staying in the Marais district of Paris.

Any feedback on my selection and hotel suggestions (around 3 star) would be appreciated

Thanks

by meheu

If you want to go to the marais area, I can recommend you a nice 3 stars hotel, the Hotel Saintonge Marais, http://www.hotel-saintonge.com/ , this hotel is ideally situated in the Marais, the hotel is really nicely decorated, with antique furnitures.The hotel is really confortable and the man at the reception was really nice and helpfull with us.
Enjoy Paris

by jmhenry1123

Le Marais is an awesome district in Paris. I would recomend it. Unfortunately I rented an apartment when I was there so I am not familiar with any of the hotels. You can check out venere.com. They have good listings and you can search by districts/arrondisements.

RE: RE: Best Paris district to stay

by risamay

I stayed in the Marais for three weeks this April at a nice hotel... It might be 4-stars but in the "shoulder" season you can negotiate a lower rate. October should certainly fall into that category.

The hotel is called the Caron de Beaumarchais and is very centrally located, right off the Rue de Rivoli in the heart of the Marais. It's an easy walk from either Metro Hotel de Ville or Metro St. Paul. A small, family-run hotel with a market just at the corner and several others within a short walk. Near many great cafes, bars, shops, restaurants, department stores, museums, etc. It's perfect.

Cheers,
Marisa (and Dino)

by CALSF

Hi, just fyi, you posted this question three times successively. There are four replies to one post and one reply on another.

Yes, the Marais is a great choice. Inconnu's choice districts I agree with: 4th, 5th, and 6th.

Hotels in the Marais

by cylander

Hello to all the well travelled folks out there! I will be staying in Paris for the first time in May and I would greatly appreciate some hotel suggestions.

I'd like to stay in the Marais (or Latin Quarter close to the Marais) and can spend up to $300./night (about 225. Euros). I like the charming qualities and antiques of the smaller hotels in historical buildings, but am hoping also for a bit of luxury (bigger room, balcony) if possible with my budget!

Thank you!

by CALSF

The Hotel Pavillon de La Reine is in the 3rd district which is very close to the Marais, and is right on the Place des Vosges. It's a very beautiful, old-style, hotel. Sometimes they have specials and I think it's featured on the Small Luxury Hotels of the World group (www.slh.com). Many times they have special rates depending on the season.

RE: RE: Hotels in the Marais

by CALSF

Faux, the Hotel de la Brettonerie is a good choice as well! Thanks for mentioning it because I remember now that another VT friend booked the hotel for her in-laws. They reported that they loved the hotel and the area.

I have seen another Marais hotel, Caron de Beaumarchais, recommended alot in guidebooks and from former guests. But I understand that the rooms are very very small, even for Paris!

by cylander

Thank you CALSF and Faux!

The Hotel Pavillon de La Reine is beautiful-but a little too pricey. I'll look for deals as you suggested CALSF.

I had seen the Hotel de la Bretonnerie and Caron de Beaumarchais websites, and both looked promising, but I value the personal input much more! It sounds like the Hotel de la Bretonnerie would have bigger rooms-especially the junior suite.

It says it doesn't have air conditioning, do you think this is an issue in mid May? Do you know if you are able to open the windows?

Thanks again!

RE: RE: Hotels in the Marais

by CALSF

Given Paris's changeable weather it may be warm in May for all you know. It's a nice month to be in Paris from what I understand. Usually you can open the windows in the hotels there. But to be sure you can send the hotel an email.

by Sofia0412

Hi!!

I've stayed once in a 3 star hotel called Hotel Saintonge Marais, in the 3rd district...The hotel have both luxury and you also can feel history and the French and Parisian style..I loved it!
Staff has been really great with us ...It is very clean and I paid something like €120....
Have a look on http://www.hotel-saintonge.com
Enjoy your stay in Paris!

by Booner

Why not experience a home stay with a local family to really experience the culture?

Travel Tips for Paris

You have to go to Versailles,...

by Neuras

You have to go to Versailles, the gardens, the building and the luxury are just outstanding. One can really think about how unnice it was by the kings of France to live in such glamorous state while the people suffering to even get the daily bread, but I guess that's part of the past. Now, this is an awesome museum you have to step on someday

Latin Quarter by night

by bakpakchik

Bakpak, Jeff and Himanshi doing dinner at the latin Quarter. We missed the last Metro, had blown all our money on food and walked back to the hostel. Didn't really mind the walk, even though it was longish and we were a little tired. back at the hostel, we wondered why we didnt cab it back and paid the cabbie when we got back to the hostel? To some questions, there are no answers ....

Street Musicians are Everywhere

by riorich55

On our 3rd Day in Paris we took the Metro to the Sacre Coeur area. Upon ascending from the Metro station we came upon this quartet of senior musicians in a small park.

After downloading this photo I studied it a little more and came up with the following questions.

1) Are the 2 girls at the right enjoying the singing of the guy at right or the banjo player?

2) How long have these 4 been doing this as a group?

3) If you are driving down the street at left pay no attention to the brown walking signs since you can't turn right anyway down the one way street

4) Is that the quartet's logo on the top of the tuba?

Just some questions I had!! Has anyone seen this group and have answers for me??

It reminded me of the Berlin wall

by sourbugger

The area above the underpass at the Pont de l'alma has become an important place for some visitors to Paris. They leave their grafittied messages to Diana, princess of Wales and Dodi who died in the underpass. What actually happened that night is still the subject of some rather wild conspiracy theories.

Some messages express simple regret, whilst others refer to various shady security organisations who may have engineered something.

The area is scrubbed from time to time, but the area was covered in messages when I visited in November 2005. There were also a few flowers of the nearby 'golden flame' that has become another unofficial memorial to the death.

Le Cluny

by bdwoot

On the left bank a few blocks off of Rue St.-Germain is a lovely museum devoted to Roman and Parisian antiquities. It was an old monastery built over roman baths.

Several things just blew me away. One was the original faces of the statues at the front doors of Notre Dame, the originals from the 11th century. Way cool!

We took in a medieval concert there on Sunday afternoon, time very well spent.

Comments