Hotel Scribe

Hotel Scribe Paris managed by Sofitel
Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• A 5 star hotel in the heart of Paris

A very good hotel with elegant lobby and very spacious and tastefully decorated rooms.The hotel is located in a well-maintained historical building a block away from the Opera Garnier and 3 blocks from the Madeleine. The place Vendome , the Grands Magasins and the Grands Boulevards are close too. The service was very professional. An excellent hotel in a very convinient location.The two resataurants inside the hotel were also very good .

More about Hotel Scribe

Consistently good hotel, even if the rack rates are pretty high

by TripAdvisor Member Camdenicks

I stay in the Hotel Scribe when I visit Paris on business -- about once every three months or so. Like all Sofitels, it's reliably good: the beds are amazingly comfortable, the rooms are all a decent size (if not huge), and the bathrooms excellent (including great Roger & Gallet toiletries, and good linen).

When I last visited in March 07, the lobby was still mid-renovation and the building clad in scaffolding; however, all the rooms now appear to have been renovated.

The location is fine if you're on business, but for a tourist (especially one in their 20s or 30s) I'd say there are more happening parts of town to be. That said, Paris is easy to get around, so you're never going to be more than 15 minutes away from the action by metro.

The staff are always friendly at check-in, and room service is efficient. The only downside is the cost: my company pays for this, so I'm not too bothered about the rack rate of EUR400 or so for the night, but if I were a tourist I'd definitely shop around for a better price.

One tip with any Sofitel: be sure to sign up for their Privilege card loyalty programme, which quickly earns you enough points for free nights.

Would stay here again and again

We stayed in a standard rennovated room and would say Hotel Scribe is one of the more upscale hotels in Paris. The room was so comfortable and clean. As mentioned before in previous reviews, the pillowtop bed was dreamy but the best part of our room was the bathroom... a strong shower head, gorgeous sink faucets and stone counter tops....truly a luxurious bathroom.

The reception desk was very welcoming and pleasant. The buffet breakfast was excellent...good quality food.

There were no negative points that we found during our stay.

Stay at this hotel if you want to experience comfort and luxury at a good price.

Great location, friendly staff, pleasant rooms but too much scaffolding!

by TripAdvisor Member MiaG

I spent two nights at the Scribe during a business trip to Paris at the end of March 2007. The hotel appeared perfect when looking online. Sadly I was a little disappointed by the real thing especially after paying EUR 390 per night.

Firstly upon arrival I was taken to the wrong hotel by the taxi driver who assumed I wanted any "hotel in Rue Scribe" and not "Hotel Scribe". This was despite showing him the confirmation.

So I arrived at Le Grand Hotel and was told there was no reservation... but given instructions to find the Hotel Scribe a little further down the road.

The hotel Scribe itself was actually very difficult to find as the entire front face of the Hotel was covered in scaffolding. It was only luck that I found it as the name was totally obscured.

The temporary entrance to the hotel, through the hotel restaurant, was not signed up adequately.

Upon arrival at the reception desk I was greeted very warmly by the reception staff who went out of their way to help.

My room was located on the 6th floor. Room 646 overlooked the main street of Rue Scribe at the busy junction with Rue La Fayette. Well, that's the view I should have had... but instead it was totally obscured by scaffolding! (see photos).

The room was well appointed, very clean and obviously recently refurbished. Lovely flat screen TV, lots of lighting options, modern lines of marble and glass complimented each other in the bathroom. The only small negative comment I would say about the bathroom is that the bath side was very high which may make getting in/out the bath and shower difficult for some people with restricted mobility.

The king sized bed was extremely comfortable with lightweight fluffy duvet and 4 huge pillows.

My breakfast, which I chose to have served in the room, was excellent. I chose the continental option and received a capuccino, fresh orange juice, a yoghurt plus a bag of no less than 6 bread and danish pastries. Delicious and the perfect start to a working day.

The flat screen TV in the room had a wealth of channels. There were at least 3 news channels in English plus a music channel and the usual films etc payable on demand. The TV could also be used for internet access although I didn't try this out.

The hotel bar, located in the makeshift lobby area, was adequate. Again the staff were friendly and helpful but the bar menu was limited.

I would recommend this hotel with one reservation - to go back when the renovations are finished. The lack of proper entrance to the hotel was a disappointment. In addition the scaffolding outside really detracted from the experience of staying in a Paris city centre hotel for me.

Perfect hotel

by TripAdvisor Member JamesKC

We just returned from a week in Paris. We picked the Scribe based in part on prior reviews and in part on its location. I can say that we could not have picked a better hotel! True, the exterior is covered with scaffolding, as a major renovation nears completion. On the day we left, workers were beginning to remove the scaffolding at the top of the hotel. But so what? The rooms are now all new, clean and very comfortable. The hotel staff (day and night) were exceedingly friendly and helpful...and bi-lingual for those who fear the language
barrier (don't). We only ate one dinner at the hotel. The food was good but a bit overpriced, however, we were entertained by a great piano player. The hotel is located in the midst of a lot of cafes, at
which we had nothing but great meals. There is a patisserie a block away from which we bought croissants and other pastries for breakfast. A taxi queue is across the street and the Metro station is
a block away. Also, the L'Open bus tour office is a short 5 minute walk away. For the shoppers, the two "grand magasins", Aux Printemps
and Gallerie Lafayette are only 3 blocks away. It is a 15 minute walk
to the Louvre (I did it in the rain). In short, the location is excellent, the neighborhood charming. There isn't one thing I would complain about. Our next trip to Paris (may it be soon) will certainly include the Hotel Scribe as our home away from home!

Recommended if you can get a good rate

by TripAdvisor Member CM002

Stayed at the hotel in early Dec 2006. Unfortunately, the lobby area was undergoing refurbishment and was therefore not very pleasant.

The room was small with little storage space and overlooking a courtyard which was also a building site. However, the room was very modern and nicely appointed. The bedding is exceptionally comfortable.

There was a small spa/gym that had just opened, with sauna/hammam. This was very nice.

We did not eat at the hotel, so cannot comment on the food and restaurants.

The location is very convenient, you can walk to all the major sights. However, this being a commercial district, there are few nice dining options in the area. The Left Bank has much more charm in this respect.

The hotel is officially rated as a 4 star de luxe (which is the same category as the Ritz, Meurice, Bristol etc) and the Michelin guide also puts it in the same category as these hotels. This in my opinion is totally wrong and misleading. The Scribe is not nearly in the category of the grand luxury hotels. But then, its prices are considerably lower, too.

Overall, the hotel is undergoing a revamp, and once this is complete, I think it will be a very nice 4 star hotel. I would certainly recommend this hotel if you can get a cheap room rate, e g through Priceline. However, if you are not getting a good rate (i e spending over Euros200 per night), then I would certainly look elsewhere. The Westin or Grand Intercontinental or a nice boutique hotel on the Left Bank wouldseem much better options in this case.

A wonderful stay

by TripAdvisor Member London.dreaming

This is a lovely hotel - just completing a re-furbishing.
We found it to be comfortable, spotlessly clean and inviting.
The bed was a king - and so comfortable!
Beautiful bathroom with Roger & Gallet toiletries.
The breakfast buffet was amazing - hot and cold eggs - bacon, sausages, cold meats and cheeses, many types of yogurt, fresh fruit, and a huge assortment of breads and buns etc.
Perfect location - close to everything. Did not eat in the evening at the hotel but across the street was an amazing restaurant in that hotel.
Would love to go back!

For the right price -- great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member YankeeInLondon

Stayed for three nights. Good location near the Opera Metro station. Room was small (in other words, European) but VERY clean and well decorated. Great bathrooms as well. Hi-speed internet is available at about €20 per day (but the Sofitel wireless is also available for about €10). Very comfortable bed. The lobby and front of hotel are still being renovated, but there's little affect to the hotel. If you can get a decent rate (I paid about €120 per night) I would highly recoommend the hotel; however, at closer to €200 a night -- there are probably better options.

Good business hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Bezi

The hotel is still going through a refurbishment . The lobby still has to be accessed through the bar area. To be honest when I first arrived I thought the place looked like a bit of a dump, it's only when you leave the ground floor that the hotel begins to look nice. The rooms look as though they have been recently refurbished and whilst not the biggest in the world were perfectly fine. The bathroom is a good size and my only gripe is that the water pressure in the shower could have been stronger.
Good for business as near the Metro and the RER; if you need to go to La Defense.
The posted rate in reception is €500 a night but you should be able to get a cheaper deal due to the works going on.

Not quite a 5 star

by TripAdvisor Member ChartChecker

The hotel facade and lobby is being renovated (this was not communicated by the Hotel site nor Priceline). However, the lobby was still very nice and presentable during renovation (temporary walls with artwork - see photos). During the last few days of our stay, they reopened part of the main entry so guests no longer enter via the bar. The bar area is large and quite nice. The room was completely and tastefully newly refurbished, but very small with little storage. The service was 5-star, especially the 24-hour room service and concierge, turn-down service and cleanliness. Also top notch were the fixtures, flat-panel television, linens, robes and the soft pillow-top bed. However, the size of the room, very limited storage space, and an obvious ongoing renovation makes this hotel more of a 4 star. The hotel is located in a very fashionable, but touristy, area of Paris right around the corner from the Opera Garnier. In addition to the area being safe, the hotel itself seemed very secure - a room key needed to access your floor in the elevator. The view from our room was of the courtyard (interior). There was nothing attractive about this view; which overlooks the windows of nearby rooms. It didn't appear the exterior room views would have been better due to the renovation blocking most of the hotel's facade. If you can get a bigger room with a unblocked exterior view, the hotel may almost be worth their rack rate. As far as the other conveniences, the hotel bill was always available via their TV system, but in-room check-out was not available. The room included internet access/web TV, safe, mini-bar, bottle water, coffee/tea, salon quality hairdryer, robes, slippers, shampoo/conditioner combo, soap, moisturizer, and other necessities. Of notice were both tourists and business travelers staying at the hotel, and additional internet access from their bar area.

Ideal Paris 3-star Hotel and District for 32-year-old females?

by Girard2

My best friend and I (both 32-year-old professionals from Chicago) are taking a 5-day girls trip to Paris in late October. We are looking for recommendations for a district that has great restaurants and bistros with a central location to the sites and shops. Ideally, we would like to spend between 125-225 euros per night on a hotel that has been renovated in recent years. Thank you in advance for your recommendations.

by Manara

I recommend the district of St Germain. I was very happy with the Hotel Du Danube, the area is full of restaurants and bistrots, and it is a short walk from the Pont Neuf, Notre Dame and the Louvre. See the hotel website www.hoteldanube.fr. I have also written my comments on this hotel in my Paris page.

by marilynmondoe

Me and my Partner also both 32 recently went to Paris in May and had a fab time in the Marais district.
I preferred it to the Latin Quarter AND St Gernain.

We stayed in a clean and 'polite' hotel in the latin quarter called Libertel Quartier Latin on rue des ecoles.

We based ourselves here and visited the latin quartier but the hotel was still walking distance over the gorgeous seine to the marais (fab place at any time and even sundays !)

the marais has lovely narrow streets and lovely boutiques - also a fab sexy italian restaurant called cafe baci ( 36 rue de Turenne, 3e )was wonderful.

by Gkap

I prefer the Opera district because it's near the major attractions(Louvre, Opera, Musee d'Orsay , Concorde,Madeleine Chatelet etc) and it has many good restaurants and hotels like the Hotel Scribe(www.sofitel.com), the hotel libertel caumartin(www.mercure.com, the hotel Edouard VII (www.edouard7hotel.com), the hotel bw astra opera(www.bestwestern.com), the hotel ambassador(www.concorde-hotels.com) and the hotel ronceray opera (www.mercure.com)

Comments