Hotel Victor Hugo

Hotel Victor Hugo
Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Paris

Ornate ceiling detailOrnate ceiling detail

One of the many fountains.One of the many fountains.

Vitrail médiévalVitrail médiéval

Catacombes of Paris, exhibit areaCatacombes of Paris, exhibit area

Metro system in Paris

by kennyboi

Is it difficult to use the metro system in Paris? The system map look fairly complicated and I am a bit worried about the language barrier. I am wondering how would I get from CDG Airport to Brochant?

Is La Chapelle = Gare du Nord where I can interchange onto Place de Clichy, where I interchange again onto Brochant? If La Chapelle = Gare du Nord, what's the distance to walk between stations and is it suitable with baggage?

Thanks

by K_V_B

The RATP has a good interactive map here:
You can use to plan trips. This will tell you what you need to know.
Navigating the Metro is easy.
The important things to know are always: What line to take, in what direction, and where to get off. The map gives you all that info.
When two stations are linked by lines that means that you can transfer there from one station to the other via tunnels. The way you need to walk is usually well signposted. You just need to need to watch out for signs with your metro line number, and the correct direction on it.

by tango_jd

From CDG Take RER line B to gare De Nord. (Easy to follow signs in airport to RER station)
From Gare De Nord go to La Chapelle metro which I think is a short walk (Google says 0.8km - 9 minutes)
From La Chapelle metro take Line 2 (Porte Dauphine direction) to Place de Clichy.
From Place de Clichy station, take line 13 (Gabriele Peri / Asnieres - Gennevilliers direction)
Its a bit fiddly but so long as you remember that the END destination of the Metro line is the sign to follow for the platform, and that this is on the front of the train when it comes, you will be OK.
Some other VT-ers may suggest a better route but the one here (that you suggested) isn't wrong.

If you wanted to cut-out the walk to La Chapelle, then you COULD take metro line 4 from Gare de Nord (Porte De Clingancote direction) one stop to Barbes Rochechouart and then swap to line 2 as above. It doesn't look a nice walk unless there is a direct walkway from the Gare De Nord that I didn't know about.

by kennyboi

Ah! I didn't know line 4 stops at Gare du Nord! That solves that connection problem.

How does metro tickets work? Can 1 ticket cover different rail networks? (i.e. those with alphabet lines crossing over to those with numerals and vice versa).

by tango_jd

Not sure - We always walk everywhere and get a Paris Visite Ticket if we needed to use th emetro a lot.
Most VT-ers in here recommend a "Carnet" of 10 tickets that can be used any time by anyone but I can't recall how they work! Gare de Nord - Brochant counts as one journey and I think one carnet ticket works that way so long as you don't leave the tunnel system and go-outside.
The RER journey is a separate ticket as CDG falls outside the inner zone.

by tango_jd

Pedmar is the expert - " walk underground about 5 mins to the connection with line 2 La Chapelle"

I didn't know that.

So - it's whether you want to do that walk lugging a suitcase or not.

Travel Tips for Paris

Paris Tip

by John195123

Driving around trying to find our hotel. The one-way streets and traffic made it quite fun. We knew where it was, we just couldn't get there. Once we finally arrived, we checked in and the usual. That night, it was quite hot. I don't know why it was so hot, but I don't think the hotel had AC, and we didn't want to leave the windows open for security reasons. Eventually, my father and I opened the windows, I think. (My mother and brother were in another room.) So, we lay in bed sweating, listening to the busy street below, horns blaring, people talking, the buzz of motors, a far-off siren. Soon, my father fell asleep. Lucky him, sort of. I wanted to sleep, but still enjoyed the sounds, and smells of downtown Paris.

don't forget to check out the...

by miromi

don't forget to check out the outer districts, where the real people live, work, play, eat, and sleep. I found the immigrant neighborhood of Belleville especially vibrant and colorful, the face of France's future. Running around Paris in the middle of the night with crazy Parisian boys right as the sun comes up

Critters on the loose in Paris

by shrimp56

If you look carefully you will see all sorts of critters in Paris, from the mosaic guerilla art of "la vache" or the pacman critter, to the pig in the pot sign and the "monster" eating the street number! I love coming across these details -- sometimes they are guerilla art, sometimes they are just regular store signs, but in any case, they reflect the Parisian spirit!

Just say NON to one stop shopping

by Dabs

Americans are accustomed to doing their grocery shopping at giant supermarkets and while supermarkets such as Monoprix do exist in Paris, it's refreshing to see that the traditional way of food shopping is still hanging on.

We strolled through the rue Cler area near our hotel one morning and found several shops along the street, each specializing in a different food group, one shop for fruits and vegetables, a butcher shop (boucherie), a bakery (boulangerie or patisserie), a cheese shop (fromagerie), a place selling seafood.

Institut du monde arabe

by eMeReS

Not a main tourist attraction, but very worthwhile to visit: l'Institut du monde arabe.
Very modern building. The facade is impressive, the windows contain steel diaphragms that automatically open and close depending on the amount of light. Lots of steel and glass.
No entrance fee and on the 9th floor there is a panoramic terrace with a stunning view towards the Île de la Cité, Notre Dame and all that lies beyond :-)

Comments