Hotel d'Angleterre

44, rue Jacob, 06 Arr., Paris, Ile-de-France, 75006, France

Hotel d'Angleterre, Saint Germain des Pres
Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

• A Terrible Experience

I have never encoutered such rude and unhelpful staff as I did at this hotel. Was an extremely unpleasant place to stay and definitely not up to a 3 star standard, and I would absolutely tell anybody to find another option on Rue Jacob (there are many which are comparably priced and much better).

• Our Favorite hotel in Paris

We have been staying at the D'Angleterre for years now, missing last year because we stayed in an apartment.
    We have stayed in various rooms throughout the hotel, from the smallest and lowest floor to the suite on the top floor. We have never smelled or seen any mold nor have we had a bad stay.
    All of the rooms have at least 2 or 3 very large windows, we always ask for a room on the courtyard, knowing how noisy any Paris street can be. We never hear any sounds once we are in our rooms.
    They did a total renovation last year..we visited when we were there in March, the staff is the same, polite, very helpful and very professional.
    If you want to treat yourself and stay somewhere that is not a budget hotel , in the heart of the 6th, with galleries, shops and cafes right outside the door, I think you will be happy with the D'Angleterre.
    If you want to go budget ( although their prices might have gone up a bit now) , we did stay in the Danube years ago and found that to be quite charming, very small rooms and some noise from the neighboring rooms, but the old buildings sometimes do not lend themselves well to noisy hotel neighbors.

Unique Quality: All of the rooms we have stayed in have had huge bathrooms, with great tubs, with a glass shower door, a separate toilet and bidet.
    We stayed in a suite last time we were there, we had a fireplace..very charming, but most of the rooms have something about them that is charming.

The Staircase going up from the lobby is the original staircase to the building. Marble, with the edges of the steps word down from time and use.

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

Hôtel d'Angleterre

I've never stayed here but I've had friends stay here who've raved over it, plus it's an extremely historic hotel so if a sense of history surrounding you is what you seek then this would very well be the place for you! Apparently, though, the lower floored rooms leave much to be desired concerning what you get for the price. I've read of reports of mildew. However, on the higher levels this does not seem to be a problem.

Photos: Feb 2006

Unique Quality: Formerly the British Embassy, Benjamin Franklin once refused to set foot on "British soil". However, it WAS here that he, John Jay & John Adams worked out details of the treaty with England; just a few steps down the street at #56 (indicated by plaque) these 3 eminent men signed the peace treaty with the British September 3, 1783.

In 1777, Franklin & his 2 grandsons lived at #52. His American compatriot, Thomas Jefferson, was also a guest at the d'Angleterre.

The original name of this hotel was Hôtel Jacob then changed in 1925 to Hôtel Jacob-et-d'Angleterre before settling on its current incarnation.

Moving forward we see that this was the first hotel where Hemingway & his bride Hadley (grandmother to Margo & Mariel) stayed (Dec 1921) before taking digs on rue Cardinal-Lemoine in the Quartier Latin.

Other illustrious writers/artists include Djuna Barnes, Sherwood Anderson (a favorite of Gertrude Stein - over whom she & Hemingway had a falling out), and Man Ray, the famous artist/photographer.

At #20, Natalie Barney held her famous literary salons. Patricia Wells' Paris apartment is located at #10. And on the corner of rue Jacob & rue Bonaparte you'll find the most divine macarons at Ladurée.

Directions: Rue Jacob in St-Germain-des-Prés, between rue de Seine & rue Bonaparte

• CALSF's Profile Photo

Hotel d' Angleterre (St. Germain) - Okay hotel

In Feb. '04 I stayed on rue Jacob at the Danube (review above). In 2002 I had stayed for the first time on rue Jacob just a few doors away from the Danube at the Hotel d' Angleterre.
    There must be something with rue Jacob hotels and me as I just haven't had much luck in my visits.
    The Angleterre has many repeat guests and there was a time when it was difficult to get a reservation. Maybe it's still that way as I usually book at least 4 to 6 mos. in advance.
    This stay I had a deluxe double room which was quite expensive (248 euro at the time) which is in the wing overlooking their courtyard and with just stairs access-the elevator does not service this wing.
    First of all the room smelled musty, the pillows reeked of mildew and I doubt they were replaced frequently. The bedroom has a lovely non-working fireplace that was marred by the peeling paint above it. The bathroom was unique, old-fashioned in furnishings, but the bathtub was badly maintained as the faucet was loose and there was mold around the tub; they haphazardly tried to patch it but did a bad job.
    The breakfast was a total waste of money at 9 euro (they now offer a free b'fast buffet in the rates) as it was continental; scrambled egg was an additional 3 euro or so and it was badly cooked by the maid who doubled as the cook that morning.

Caveat: The hotel insists on having a personal check made out in your local currency to guarantee your reservation-no credit card guarantees but you can pay with c/c upon checkout. There is a very stiff cancellation policy in effect-the amount being dependent on when you cancel!

The hotel has no a/c so that's something to consider if you plan to visit in summertime.

Unique Quality: This is a very old hotel dating from the 1700's. In fact, it was the British Embassy at one time (hence its name) and Benjamin Franklin refused to step foot inside because of this fact.

Being ancient expect to have beamed ceilings which are quite unsual but nice.

However, the walls and ceilings have no insulation (as many of Paris' hotels) so every noise is magnified. This was proven by the amorous French couple above my room. Not sure if they knew that or if they did they didn't care!

Update as of 2005:

Well, this oldie that I had a not too pleasant stay at has finally renewed their rooms. As I was staying at the Verneuil a couple of blocks away, I had to pass the Angleterre. It had construction netting on the exterior so I knew good changes were taking place. I did not have time to go inside although the lobby is still the same as how I knew it.

However, their new website shows very nicely decorated rooms. In researching where to stay last New Year's Eve I contacted the Angleterre. I was wowed by the fact that they now offer a FREE buffet breakfast! Gosh, we could have made use of that breakfast in 2002 instead of paying an exorbitant price for some lousy mashed eggs masquerading as 'scrambled eggs'.

But their outdated booking procedure is still in effect: you must send a personal check written for one night's deposit in your local currency.

Comments