Hotel de France Quartier Latin Paris

Hotel de France
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Clean, pleasant hotel in the Latin Quarter

We were looking for an inexpensive, clean, hotel with free wifi that was in the Latin Quarter and near the Rue Mouffetard Market and the Gobelins Tapestry Museum. I did a search on Booking.com and found Hôtel de France Quartier Latin with good reviews. Double rooms start at 75 euros but it depends on how long you stay and which season it is. It is very reasonable for the location.

Our flight landed at 8:30 AM so even with going through Customs and getting into Paris, we knew we'd be too early for check-in so I contacted the hotel and asked if we could store our luggage there while we did some sightseeing. They were cheerfully waiting for us, took our luggage and told us to enjoy our sightseeing. We did!

Unique Quality: The room was clean and comfortable. We stayed three days. The staff (and we met most of them) were very helpful and had lots of good suggestions. I think the most outstanding thing to me was the number of electrical outlets in the room. (We spent a later stay in Paris in a hotel with no electrical outlets. We had to unplug the fan to charge batteries.) In Hôtel de France Quartier Latin I could recharge phone, camera batteries and log into wifi all at the same time and still have outlets unused. I was impressed.

We had a view over Rue Monge, a fun, busy Paris street. There was air conditioning but we didn't need it as there were two windows in the room.

The hotel is two blocks from the Rue Mouffetard Market and an easy walk to the Gobelins Tapestry Factory and in the opposite direction to the Arenas de Lutece. It's a good location for visiitng the southern end of the Latin Quarter and we took advantage of it.

The price below is per person and the hotel charges per room. Check the web site for rates.

Directions: 2 blocks south of the Censier-Daubenton Metro station (there is an escalator)

More about Paris

at Versaillesat Versailles

Notre Dame de ParisNotre Dame de Paris

Musee d'Orsay, ParisMusee d'Orsay, Paris

Full façade of Ste-Clothilde, Nov 09Full façade of Ste-Clothilde, Nov 09

moulin rouge or lido

by mani8kgm

We are planning on one, which would you suggest! How long are the shows? Without the dinner/drinks?
Thank you!

by wise23girl

We have been to Moulin Rouge with a friend who had also been to Lido and she preferred Moulin Rouge.
The locals see these places as tourist traps by the way.

If you are going you might as well have dinner... I think you get a better position.
We took the middle option and had very squashed but good seats.

By the way leave your jacket at home as they ask you to leave it in the cloak room and that is a charge....and you have to get it back in the crowd.

If you want a toilet break or souvenirs do not leave it too late as it gets very very busy.

Also we went with a mini tour and they drove us and took us home,,,a wise move.
Ours were good as they took us right in to the usher and made sure we were looked after.

by mani8kgm

Thank you so much. Can men enter without coats? I read somewhere gents will need to wear one as part of the dress code but not to check it since that costs?
We are staying close by so we will go by ourselves- our sneakers permitted?!

by wise23girl

Well our men read to wear a coat but it was left in the cloak room at a cost! No room for a coat inside.
I do not know about sneakers...if you wear longs and the sneakers are not too loud should be OK...but it is daytime now over there ...expect more replies.

by IdreamIam

I am just back from Paris, it was a work trip and we were taken to Moulin Rouge to the first sitting and we had dinner included. I got caught with my coat, 2E's to check it in, but as I was getting out my money they spied a camera in my bag and insisted on me checking that as well and you guessed it another 2E's. I have been to Paris before and did not go then as it did not really intrest me, however being taken there I have to admit I really enjoyed the night. The other thing that surprised me was the other preformers i.e. not the dance numbers, they were very good. We were told Jeans, joggers and cameras are not allowed. My camera was in my bag for before and after but there is no getting around it. I did spy some using mobiles during the show.

Travel Tips for Paris

Practicalities in the 4th Arrondissment

by jglsongs

If you're staying in the 4th arr. (IMHO the absolute best), here are a few practical tips you might need for a longer stay:

-CHECKING E-MAIL:
There are a million internet cafýs in Paris; one good and central one to the 4th is Web46 at 46, rue de Roi de Sicilie (the small street parallel and just north of Rue de Rivoli).

-LAUNDRY:
If you have to do laundry, it's a lot easier and cheaper to do it yourself. In the 4th, there are two- one right on Rue de Roi de Sicilie (near Web46- see above) and the other on Rue St-Antoine between Sevigne and Turenne, right by the Mýtro St. Paul and across from the church of the same name.

-FOOD AND TOILETRIES:
Also right there by the St. Paul mýtro are plenty of stores and places to stock up on food items (and buy some food/wine gifts at lower prices than specialty stores):

G20 Supermarchý - right on Rue St. Antoine at the St Paul mýtro stop

Monoprix- 2 blocks further (toward Bastille and right at the Village de St-Paul)

BHV- there's always the Bazar de l'Hýtel de Ville (dept. store) across from the Hýtel de Ville itself. Besides general dept. store stuff, the basement is a hardware paradise in case you need batteries, electrical appliances, converters, etc. If you go to Europe a lot, it's easier in the long run to get small electrical appliances (hair dryers, etc.) here.

Advice on Romance? Try a Bridge in Paris

by mrclay2000

As I said above, Paris leads the world in its intimacy with the Seine. Whether in early morning or at midnight, lovers from around the globe assemble around the bridges and the river as if by divining magnetic courses, while those traveling without companions will still find much to charm in these romantic connectors between the right and left banks.

Rubenesque sensuality ...

by Norali

On Jardins des Tuileries... We visited les Jardins after the exhibition at Louvres, my head still busy dealing with this "philtre" thingy. We were strolling in the park, enjoying it: the fountains, the benches and the statues. I found those statues beautiful. I especially like the women statues: round hips, some flesh on backside, some chin... You said "rubenesque" ?

It was at that moment when I said to my aunt and her bf: "Look ! This resembles Aunt My". Aunt My is another sister of my Mum. My aunt laughed, her bf too.. and she threatened to tell Aunt My about what I said. I thought it was a compliment to resemble those statues, but seems not. Oh well... Seeing statues of sensual and pulpy women in Paris parks and streets was nice and unusual for the Malagasy girl I was. Beauty everywhere. Things that Parisians don't notice anymore, they got used to it. But me, tourist, I noticed it, yes.

Again, as I said earlier, PDAs are not Malagasy's forte. Nudity either, at least not in the streets. You wouldn't find displayed, in Tana streets for instance, the sensuality of nude statues either. Sensuality, the charm of people lies in the reserve there. Yes.. I saw and learnt.

Don't think, because we are...

by pcg

Don't think, because we are americans that French people are willing to speak in English or we are superior to them. It's a culture so different from ours. Enjoy de differences with an open mind and everybody will treat you with friendly respect .

Good camera - don't forget complete care...

by stonefree

I carried along an analog single-lens reflex camera besides a digital one.
During the trip, I thought it has been operating normally, but when developing the film, after the trip, I found it that even one picture has not been taken.
The film was sent, but there had been a trouble in the shutter. I never knew these things, you know!
Finally, I've lost over 200 shots in Paris and Versailles ...some of those would be truly good...

Comments