65 rue St-Louis-en-l'Ile, , Paris, Ã?le-de-France

Booking.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

• filmburner's Profile Photo

GREAT HOTEL ISLE ST.LLOUIS

ONE WEEK LONG.GREAT LOCATION ROOMS SMALL,BUT TYPICLA FOR THE AREA. BREAKFAST IN LOBBY OR CAVE LIKE BREAKFAST ROOM. I HAD NO SMALL BILLS BUT THEY REFUSED TIP AS TOO LARGE .AFTER HELPING US WITH LUGGAGE. LATER ACCEPTED A SMALLER AMOUNT. HELPFUL BUT NOT INTRUDING STAFF. DOOR ANNED ALL NIGHT.

Unique Quality: BEAUTIFUL ROOMS AND BATH ROOMS. GREAT LOCATION. ALONG WITH ITS SISTER HOTEL MY SECOND FAVORITE PLACE IN THE HEART OF PARIS. PRICES BASED ON $135 TO THE EURO

Directions: ON THE SMALL ISLAND ATTACHED TO THE USLAND WITH NOTRE DAME. CONNECTED BY BRIDGE. TWO GREAT ICE CREAM SHOPS NEAR BY BOTH FAMOUS. GREAT VIEW OF SEINE, EASY ACCESS TO 5TH,LATIN QUARTER AND MUSEUMS ON A DIRECT METRO LINE NEARBY.

• great location

We stayed at Hotel de Lutece for 2 nights, Aug 25-26, 2006. The staff was great, took our luggage to our room. We got a laugh out of the elevator, the three of us fit when we sucked our guts in. We loved the location, so close to the river, Notre Dame, St Germain all within walking. There is a small supermarket right next door, a bakery, cheese shop and gifts shops on the same street. Would recommend to anyone. We have never been to a hotel that had all the bottles of pop, water, beer etc in them. We did not know how it worked. when we checked out they asked how many you drank and it was 3.00 euros a bottle. much cheaper to go to the supermarket next door.

• CALSF's Profile Photo

The Best Located Hotel for Me

I like the Hotel Verneuil but I have to admit to you that the Hotel de Lutece has got an edge not only for the excellent Ile St. Louis location but also for its staff and its breakfast unbelievably!

I made a reservation for a double room and kept checking with the hotel over 6 months time to see if I could have one of the top floor rooms. Hotel kept coming back with negatives but said they'd do their best for me.

Upon check-in, I walked into a warm, lovely lobby with wood panels and a fireplace and decorated with poinsettias. Madame at reception gave me a triple room that was on the 5th floor (room #53) overlooking some rooftops. Very very quiet room. Had a small alcove with an extra bed hence the triple room. Bathroom was a good size with bidet. Shower stall is small and needs some refurbishing due to some mold in between the tiles but otherwise, was excellent.

Has a normal hairdryer

Breakfast is 10 euro (continental) but this is not the usual baguette & croissant/coffee or tea b'fast. The server, a very kind Indian woman, gives you extra and is very accomodating. The croissant is huge and so is the baguette. The coffee-oh my God-is so good. It's strong but not so strong to be absolutely bitter. And it's a huge pot with another huge pot of steamed milk. Plus you receive a nice glass of fresh-squeezed orange juice.

The best part is the hotel's location to Notre Dame-just 2 1/2 short blocks. How can you beat that?

Best thing is that I booked a regular double room at 158 euro but they assigned me a triple room (s/b 174 euro) but I paid the rate for a regular double room-what I reserved.

Unique Quality: Please see above notes.

Other unique qualities:

The bells at Notre Dame could be heard from the room! Very atmospheric to me!

The hotel serves breakfast until noon! Great if you wake up late.

The rates are excellent for the location!

BOOK YOUR ROOM AT LEAST 6 MONTHS IN ADVANCE! THIS IS A VERY POPULAR HOTEL.

Note: Rates for 2006 will increase to 170 euro for a double room and 12 euro for the breakfast.

Directions: Can't miss it: walk down Rue St. Louis en Ile.

More about Hotel de Lutece

Ask for the "Courtyard view" if You Want Quiet

by CALSF

My room at Hotel de Lutece faced the "courtyard". Well, when you need a quiet room location don't ask for a street facing room; instead request a courtyard view. Many times there is no courtyard at all. It could be a wall or another building which is interesting like the movie "Rear Window" if your room faces an apartment building! The view I had at Hotel de Lutece were the rooftops which were not very attractive, but it certainly was peaceful especially when I heard the bells of Notre Dame.

Remember to Leave Your Room Key At the Desk

by CALSF

Almost all Parisian hotels still use traditional room keys which they attach to huge key chains. The purpose of doing this is so that the guests do not forget and pocket the keys on their way out the door. It's a custom that you must leave your room key at the front desk and retrieve it upon your return. I realize that many people are not used to this custom feeling that it's unsafe security wise. It can be unsafe if you think about it. However, the clerks seem to know who is really a guest and who is not.

I always find it amusing as to the objects that the key chains have attached. The Hotel de Vernueil has a ball with a cord attached to the key ring. And the Hotel de Lutece's has a huge silver bar with a rubber ball attached to its key ring.

Hotel de Lutece's keyHotel de Lutece's key

Rooftops fr. my room @ Hotel de LuteceRooftops fr. my room @ Hotel de Lutece

Best Area to stay in?

Bonjour,
I am going to Paris in May for a long weekend.
I'd like to see the usual sights, Tower, Arch, Louvre etc.
Can any one tell me the best location to stay.
Budget is not a major concern but access to decent restaurants/bars for night time is.
thanks in advance
LFTT

by CALSF

Personally I'd recommend that you stay on the Ile St. Louis (4th dist.) which is in between St. Germain (6th dist.) and the Latin Quarter (5th dist.) to one side of the river and the Marais on the other side. My favorite Ile St. Louis hotel is the Hotel de Lutece which I feature as a Paris hotel tip on my Paris page. Besides the Ile St. Louis all of the other areas I mentioned above are excellent too!

Since you said budget is not important really you've got quite alot of choices, but May is fast approaching so I recommend you book asap.

by LFTT

Thanks for that, I'll look into that hotel. I'll also have a look at your Paris site.
Are there plenty bars and restaurants near there?

by CALSF

Sure, you are welcome. Ile St. Louis is just across the river from the Latin Quarter and Marais; both areas have alot of bars/nightlife.

by cristiana04

I like Hôtel Fortuny Opéra Madeleine (Subway: Madeleine).Right in the heart of Paris business, restaurants, shows and shopping.

by LFTT

Thanks, I'll check this hotel out too.

by eliza13

We prefer to stay around Luxembourg Gardens. Plenty of metro stations, RER line within walking distance and buses which take you anywhere within a few minutes. Nice restaurants and plenty of good hotels nearby. And, when you have a few minutes to just take a break, you can go to the gardens to watch the children on the carousel, people playing chess, etc and enjoy the foliage. Liz

by CALSF

Hi, Eliza mentioned staying near the Luxembourg Gardens. That's a very nice area to stay. There's a very well-regarded hotel called Hotel Luxembourg Parc. I have read excellent comments about this hotel which is regarded as a baby Crillon. I, too, have written to get information when I was looking for another hotel to stay and the staff is really informative, friendly, and prompt in replying.

It's a bit expensive but I recommend it since you mentioned that budget isn't too much of a concern.

by LFTT

Thanks, that hotel looks nice too.
My partner is going to France on business and we are going to tag this weekend break onto the end of it so just waiting on his work booking the business part then I can go ahead and organise the fun part!
Will let you know where we decide on!
Thanks again.

by CALSF

You're welcome. Enjoy Paris!

Comments