42 bis Rue de Rivoli, Paris, Ile-de-France, 75004, France

C'est moi?C'est moi?

Plaque of the ClockPlaque of the Clock

hotel; nice but inexpensive

by pauleclem

My wife & I will be in Paris for 2 days in Sept. We want to take some kind of tour. Any suggestions for a hotel in a convenient location for around $150 U.S.D?

Re: hotel; nice but inexpensive

by Gillybob

Check out Hotel Tourisme - tip on my Paris page.

Re: hotel; nice but inexpensive

by MadAboutParis

We loved the location of Hotel du Vieux Marais (http://www.vieuxmarais.com/) - close to the Métro Line 1, Notre Dame, the Marais, the Centre Pompidou and rue Montorgueil (a pedestrian market street).
There are hundreds of hotels in that price range - after you decide what area you'd prefer to be close to, then you can search by that arrondissement on countless sites.
I think that this is a good bus company to consider: http://www.paris-opentour.com/index_eng.htm

Enjoy your trip!
Mary

Hotels in Marais District

by sue_stone

Hi
Am spending 3 nights in Paris in November (on my honeymoon!), and am looking for hotel reccomendations in the Marais district, up to 150 euro per night. Any reccomendations or places to avoid?
Thanks!

Re: Hotels in Marais District

by virtualpatrick

I've seen these hotels mentioned from a magazine a few years ago. They are all in the Marais / Bastille district. I just have the names now, but if I find the article I'll give you more info.

Hotel Beaumarchais
Hotel Beaubourg
Hospitel Hotel-Dieu

Re: Hotels in Marais District

by CALSF

I've heard about Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais' got twin rooms facing the street and are nice just tiny.

Another two to try are Hotel de la Bretonnerie and Hotel de la Place des Vosges which get great comments. Not sure if you've already made plans yet but you might have since it's close to Nov.

Paris

Hi
Me and my wife will be travelling by Eurostar from London to Paris on 18th April for 2 or maybe 3 days. Since this is our first visit, would appreciate advice on good hotels in central areas near the tourist sights with good restaurants and bars in the vicinity. Am looking at about 100 EU a night for a double. Have read some good reviews on Hotel Des Croises Langlois. Can anybody confirm that or suggest any other hotels? Also given that we have 2 full days and we plan to take the Paris tour bus on one of the days,what are the other sights that we shouldnt miss? I would also like to check out a few popular clubs/bars....
Thanks for your help.

RE: Paris

by Sofia0412

Left Bank is also a good area to stay, and very central to see NDame, Saint Germain des Pres, Latin Quarter....
I stayed at Hotel Rive Gauche near metro Saint Germain des Pres, a lovely 2 star hotel with (for me) ideal location in Paris. It is in Rue des Saint Peres...Seine is also not far away....
You can see it on http://www.hotelrivegauche.com
Enjoy your trip!

by 1Karan

Thanks for responding. Faux: What would be the best way to get from the Eurostar station in Paris to the Marais area (Grand Hotel Jeanne d'Arc or Hotel De Nice etc.) Out of these and the other hotels that you have mentioned which one would you most strongly recommend?

Thanks
Karan

by 1Karan

Thanks Sofia: Do you know how to get from the Eurostar station to Hotel River Gauche? How far is this area from the Marais area mentioned earlier?
Thanks

by Sofia0412

Eurostar is at metro stop Gare du Nord and Hote Rive Gauche is at metro stop Saint Germain des Pres and you have direct access by metro line 4 between both...Quite easy to join!
Then if you need more precise details about the exact location you also can look on http://www.ratp.fr or http://www.mappy.fr
Have a nice trip!

Travel Tips for Paris

See the Eiffel Tower!! It's...

by Stephanie_L

See the Eiffel Tower!! It's the most beautiful thing in the world that I even seen! Then again i'm not that old so I'm going to see many more wonderful sights! But i know that this tower of steel with it's light shinning so bright will forever give a wonderful, almost peaceful feeling!

Museum d'Orsay

by JUNLI

Museum d'Orsay
If you visit only one art gallery during your stay, make it the Museum d'Orsay, a feast of 19th-century art and design, including a hugely popular collection of impressionist paintings.

It is hard to believe that it was a former Industrial Age railway station.

Personally, I think its expansive dining room belle epoque is the best one in Paris.

Dites Bonjour

by tvor

There's a common stereotype about Parisian waiters or shop staff that they are rude or snobby. We never found that to be true at all. Not all of them are chatting and willing to pass the time of day with you but they also have busy jobs to do. We didn't encounter any impolite people when dealing with staff in restaurants, cafes or shops. It was like anywhere, really. Some people will smile and be really friendly, some will be polite and professional, but never did i feel snubbed or insulted. I think part of the reason, though, is that wherever i went, i would smile and say "bonjour/bonsoir" in greeting when i entered a shop or cafe and always said Merci beaucoup. Sometimes the person would switch to English and sometimes they wouldn't but I managed to catch the gist of the conversation and did my best with my limited French vocabulary. I think that makes a big difference, making the effort, even if half of your sentence is English and half is French. In the city centre, most people seemed to have a little English. We even had several people come up to us to help, once when we were looking over a map and once in a metro station and couldn't make out the announcements.

Training the young gourmet ...

by shrimp56

I was taken by the father talking to his young daughter at Chartier. Children are often seen in restaurants where they behave beautifully and demonstrate a high degree of sophistication about the meal in front of them.

Weekend Market Right Downtown!

by TravelerM

Dunno if this is off the beaten path, but it did look to me not so touristy. I saw many locals shop there for flowers, plants, birds and feeds. I don't know either about if it's held every Sunday. (anyone?) I just came across on a Sunday afternoon after I got off the metro station Cite. I enjoyed the bird market, where I could see some "exotic" birds which I've never seen or some simular ones like back home but with different colors. The birds all opened their eyes wide open to look back at me. Maybe it was also their time to see foreigners too. :o)

Comments