Hotel de l'Abbaye

Orbitz.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Costs 27% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• GWRohde's Profile Photo

Little luxurious place in Saint Germain

We stayed 4 days in the L'Abbeyage, which is only a small hotel.

Everything (location, food, service, comfort) is almost perfect, but v e r y expensive!

We can recommend the place, if you have the money to pay it.

Directions: Near Jardin du Luxembourg

• themajor's Profile Photo

A little bit of luxury

If you are after a delightful stay in a secluded and discrete Parisian hotel then look no further. The Abbeye Saint-Germain is, as the phrase goes, small but perfectly formed. It beautifully furnished and treats guests with discrete politeness. An air of quiet efficiency runs through the hotel. If you want a stay in a showy establishment where you can taste the luxury at every turn then you'll need to seek out those - and there are quite a few in Paris -which boast restaurants, spas and uniformed flunkies. Here you get the feeling that you are staying in the posh yet homely hideaway of a rather grand friend. The courtyard garden is the jewel in the crown - a small yet lovely retreat after a busy day's gallery trudging. As I said, there is no restaurant but you can order croque monsieurs and other light dishes throughout the day and evening.

My wife and I celebrated our silver wedding anniversary by staying in a deluxe double room which was very comfortable and boasted a bathroom with more fluffy towels than I had body parts for. The bed was comfortable and storage space plentiful. Looking at the website snaps you might be forgiven for thinking that the bedroom's decor was akin to being trapped inside a kaleidoscope - it was admittedly rather enthusiastically patterned in red but believe me, once inside it seemed delightfully swish.

Is it expensive? Well yes but you are paying for a beautiful hotel in one of Paris's better arrondissements. I'd say it's a perfect place from which to tour Paris and celebrate a special occasion. You are no more than three minutes walk form the nearest Metro station and getting to and from Eurostar's Gare du Nord on the underground is no problem if you're happy manhandling your own suitcases. Are there grander hotels? Certainly, but you'll pay more and won't want to leave those establishments in case you don't get your money's worth! We both enjoyed our stay and would definitely go back.

More about Hotel de l'Abbaye

A great small hotel in Paris, at last!

My girlfriend and I visited Paris on May Day weekend in 2004. I had made reservations at the Hotel de L'Abbaye on the strength of both Time Out and Tripadvisor reviews and we were not disappointed. Given hotel prices in Western Europe as a whole are on the steep side, I didn't think the hotel was overpriced. The double room was small-ish but overlooked the courtyard and had a very good sized en suite bathroom. Breakfast was included and service was excellent throughout our stay. It was fantastic to find a hotel in Paris with such pleasant staff and in such a good location. Just be prepared for all the Americans who too have caught on to this lovely hotel!

Very nice!

The hotel was very charming, good size room and great staff and service. A lot of American couples and families. No shower but a tub with a hand held shower spray. WIthin walking distance to the Lovre. Air conditioning, ahhhhh! Breakfast was only a basket of breads and coffee however for extra you could order eggs. Internet for a fee avavilable in the lobby, kids IM-ing on it quite a bit though. Would reccomend and also would stay there again. The excerisions they recommend through "paris vision" was also very nice, expensive but I think worth it!

Simply Great!

I went to europe with my fiance and my parents June 2004. I lived in Paris twice and decieded to take the recommendation of tripadvisor.com.
The hotel is magnifique. The rooms are big enougt to relax and enjoy Paris. People in the hotel are really nice and the breakfast EXCELENT!
I would recommend to anyone this hotel..is just great. A bit expensive, but it is a great place to STAY!!

Perfect for first time in Paris

by TripAdvisor Member Calfan

I stayed at L'Abbaye in February 2004. I was visiting a friend who lived nearby. She had recommended Relais St. Suplice, however, they were booked so I searched the internet and found the delightful website for L'Abbaye. First, L'Abbaye is truly a unique hotel and for someone who is visiting Paris for the first time, I would highly recommend it for its ambiance. It's wonderful arriving at their courtyard and feeling like you're entering an old and charming monastery in the heart of the Left Bank. That said, I paid a steep sum, 250 euro, for a room that was very small. It had a nice view to the front courtyard, but the twin beds were tiny. I almost felt as if I was Alice in Wonderland and had gone through a door into a doll's house! The bathroom was a nice size, modern and fully equipped. There was also a flat screen desktop T.V. Breakfast downstairs in the conservatory was lovely and the staff was extremely helpful. The location is great, however, I prefer to be on the other side of St. Germain, closer to the Seine. It's just a matter of preference. The shops all around are lovely and there are dozens of wonderful restaurants and cafes to choose from.

Noisy Hotel

I just got back from Paris and stayed at this hotel. There were 4 of us and we had two rooms. One of the rooms was a garden room which was absolutely beautiful. The other was just average. The rooms were very noisy and when mentioned to the staff they could have cared less. When I asked for assistance to confirm my airport car service the person working the desk in the evening, was put out by my request. He complained that they may not be there and you should do these things during the day. (It was a 24/7 operation we were calling). He also commented that I should wear shoes in the lobby because my slippers could be offensive to the other guests. It was 10 at night and my blistered tired feet could not stay in my shoes any longer and if it is not bothering me, why should it bother him.
At breakfast our last day, we asked if we could sit in front of the fireplace to have breakfast as the dining room was quite crowded. We were told no because you don't eat breakfast in front of the fireplace. Interesting in that it is part of the bar area in the evening where food and drinks are served. This hotel needs to train their staff on the basics of customer service. Wouldn't rush back here.

wonderfull getaway

My wife and I just returned from Paris and stayed at the Hotel de l'Abbaye. It could not have been a better location nor more perfect environment. Prior to our trip I had searched for months and had considered larger and more famous hotels but the reviews on tripadvisor were right on the money. The tranquility and the professional and courteous service I believe are the best points of this hotel. We requested rooms overlooking the courtyard were a plus but it really is on a small and quiet street. The Perigord restaurant is next door and it was a lovely small restaurant. This place was just right for those looking for a quiet haven in a large city.

The best of Paris

We just returned from a 6 night stay at this cozy, friendly beautiful place. The staff went out of their way to be helpful and polite and the location is within walking distance of evrything you want to see. The front desk even booked our day trip to versailles. The room was small but nicely furnished (down to the heated towels) and for the price I dont imagine there is anywhere close to being as wonderful as Hotel De l'abbey. Its gets an A+++++++++++++ in my book.

Good, clean

Stayed 6 nights last week.....great location, clean. Of course, small room and bathroom (room #18) . The shower is sooo tiny! Grabbed pastry from a bakery one block away and coffee every AM and was cheaper than eating breakfast there. Train station is right there too. Not the Ritz, but neither is the price! Bernard was very helpful too.

Nicest staff

Stayed at Hotel de l'Abbaye last summer; the staff is excellent! The air conditioning in our room wasn't the best (typical I think of European hotels) and the staff was prompt to address the issue. We moved to a suite for same price as standard room. Hotel is lovely with quaint, comfortable courtyard and great complimentary couissant, juice & coffee for breakfast. Price was a little high with the currency difference, but made up for that with nice neighborhood and good access to metro.
After our stay in Paris, we went to Italy for a week and returned to Paris for one day to catch the Eurostar to London. We had planned to leave our luggage at the train station but found it cost 60 Euros for one small bag. We had 7 bags! We had a whole day ahead of us but couldn't leave our luggage. I called Hotel de l'Abbaye and asked could we leave our things at the hotel for the day and they were quick to accomodate us! We were able to enjoy another wonderful day in Paris thanks to the hotel's exceptional staff! Oh, and the best part was the fruit basket waiting for us upon arrival. The best peach I've ever had!

Comments