Hotel del la Porte Doree

Hotel de la Porte Doree
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

• Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo

Excellent Choice

As it was our anniversary my wife and I decided to stay at a hotel a step above the basic but still didn't want to spend too much of the year's travel budget in March. We chose this hotel because it had good comments on this site and Trip Advisor and seemed to be what we were looking for. We were not disappointed. The hotel looked inviting from the outside, located near Porte Doree on a tree lined street right beside the metro station. Inside was warm and inviting with a comfortable lounge. There is a set of bookcases on each floor so you can borrow some reading material. The room was not luxurious but clean and comfortable with a full length window with iron railing looking onto the street below. There was a decorative antique fireplace in the corner and full ensuite facilities.The hotel is on top of the metro so there is some noise from that, but nothing that kept us awake. All in all a very pleasant 3 nights.

Unique Quality: Very friendly owners and staff run a clean, comfortable, traditional style hotel. The room was small but I've yet to find a large French hotel room.

Directions: In the 12th arrondissement, quiet but still plenty of cafes and restaurants and a short metro ride to most popular sights.

More about Hotel del la Porte Doree

A very cute hotel

I loved Hotel de la Porte Doree! My boyfriend and I stayed for 2 nights and I was very impressed with the 2 star hotel. It was very clean and quiet. We did hear the metro a few times but it wasn't bad at all. The neighborhood is very quiet and there is an amazing bakery across the street. It was really convenient that they had Wifi access in all the rooms and that they provided us with a guide to recommended restuarants and places to go in Paris that really came in handy for us. The only bad part was the location, I felt like it was a bit a far from the center. The fact that the metro stopped running at around 12:30am made it difficult to stay out late. But all in all a lovely hotel!

Very cool

I stayed at the Hotel De La Porte Doree for two nights from Feb 28th to March 2nd and loved it.. The room was a bit small by American standards but very clean and comfortable at a perfect price, (51 Euros for a single). Management was very very helpful and a deep well of usefull travel information even though I speek almost no french. The night clerks english was poor but he still tried hard and made sure that I had what I needed. The only difficulty that I had was trying to find the right exit out of the metro station. There is and entrance right out the front door of the hotel but every time that I got out at the same station i would emerge on the street somewhere unfamiliar. It added to the adventure and forced me to see more of the neiborhood so I'm not complaining. If you are lost just ask for the McDonalds. I think that I met the owner Christina, truely and angel, thanks...

I was very impressed and felt extremely safe and comfortable and will definately be back.

P.S. The elevator is incredibly cool. It is by far the smallest one that I have ever seen, and perfect for this place...

Perfect Parisian Refuge

by TripAdvisor Member EyesWideTraveler

When you're travelling with a 13-year old, you can't relive your days toting a big backpack and staying in a fleabag hotel. You're forced to think about their comfort level in terms of cleanliness, safety, and friendliness. Hotel de la Porte Doree totally fit the bill to make my daughter's 13th birthday celebration absolutely memorable and my return to Paris magical after a 16 year hiatus.

The hotel is situated in a residential area, where "normal" people live, work and shop. For us, it offered a nice change of pace from the excitement of central Paris where there is so much to take in. Our room was comfortable and served as a peaceful refuge from the day's activities before we'd head out for dinner or to catch a movie at Bercy Village. The close proximity of the Metro and the boulangerie with the melt-in-your mouth croissants and other fine breads and pastries are other jewels in the crown.

But, by far what makes Hotel de la Porte Doree a place we will return is the friendliness and helpfulness of the owners and staff. Christina exudes effervescence. It is clearly important to her and her husband Laurent that you are comfortable and that you enjoy your stay. Christina offered great tips on where to eat, what to see, and was sensitive to budget contraints when making choices. She is cheerful and upbeat, and will often interject a story or two about her experiences with a place she'll recommend you see or have a meal. Patrick made us feel welcome the moment we arrived and helped us settle in with ease. He also had some priceless recommendations for venturing from the usual attractions.

On our last evening in Paris we dined at Bofinger, reputedly Paris' oldest brasserie - recommended as a terrific dining experience by Christina. My daughter had her first sip of champagne and her first taste of escargot there. It is your quintessential Parisian brasserie with the waiters in black tie, holding serving trays grandly above their heads.

For those visiting the City of Light for the first time or returning for more magic, Hotel de la Port Doree is your home away from home, with a friendly face to greet you and a helping hand to make your trip a memorable one.

Great base for your Paris excursion

by TripAdvisor Member sulltikk

I'll add my review to all the positive ones. My overall assessment of the Hotel de la Porte Doree is that the place is a delight, a bargain, and a memorable place to stay in an indescribably fabulous city. My teenage daughters and I stayed there for four nights in early March, 2005.

We paid 58 euros/night for my single (a double used as a single) and 72 euros/night for the twin bed room. How can you beat that? Breakfast is basic, but coffee is very good, my girls loved the hot chocolate, and for 6 euros, it carries you till lunch.

First, the negatives that I read and was concerned about. The rumble of the Metro- yes, we heard the rumbling at quieter times, morning and evening. It did not keep me from falling asleep or awaken me. The pay-back is that the Metro is 30 metres from the front door. You’ll be in the midst of the Paris sights in 20 minutes total.

Traffic noise- the hotel is on a main avenue and there is moderate morning and evening traffic. (unlike us Bostonians, Parisian drivers almost never use their horn, so it’s quieter anyway!) We had our windows closed and locked given the March temperature and it was no problem at all. Would probably be an issue if windows are open during your sleep. I’m not aware if the hotel is air con’d or not.

Positives- location in the 12th arrondisement! What a delightful neighborhood, full of life and people of all ages, bakeries, small and varied shops, post office, laundry, very close to Bois des Vincennes for recreation. Great and safe for walking. We got a great ‘feel’ for the Parisians’ life by staying in a residential neighborhood. Hotel management and staff- Christina is co-owner, warm and an immense help, all front desk staff are helpful and have at least basic English. Rooms are small-ish, as everyone notes, but so are the rates, and rooms are very clean with comfortable beds. Simply but quite charmingly decorated. Every room has a great mini-guide for area bistrots, shops and activities, and TV, phone, and WiFi. Plus, you get to experience Paris’ Smallest Lift, and that’s good for a story back home.

I’m able to stay in five star hotels for business internationally, but travel on my own economically. I would return to Hotel de la Porte Doree in a heartbeat!

A real find for the price

by TripAdvisor Member M_Gandhi

Just returned from a six night stay at the Hotel de la Porte Doree in Paris, and I was very pleased with almost everything about it. All of the staff, including Christina, Patrick and the breakfast room ladies, were charming and helpful. I traveled alone, and decided to spring the extra 7 Euros for a double bed with shower (for a total of 58 Euros), which gave me added space. My room did not smell musty or smoky. The bathrooms are well-fitted and modern. I did have issues with water temperature every morning -- it would quickly change from chilly to very hot at a moments' notice. My only other complaint was the lack of decent hangers in the closet. The hotel hangers were flimsy and kept dropping my clothes to the floor!

The breakfast of a delicious croissant, quarter of a baguette, butter, honey, preserves and tea/coffee/hot chocolate (yum!) is a reasonable value at 6 Euros. Even better that you can have it delivered to your room in a matter of minutes by one of the smiling staff, should you decide to sleep in an extra half hour in the morning. The majority of the television channels are in French, but they do have CNN to provide world news and weather, in English.

In my opinion, the location of the hotel is great. It is not smack in the middle of all the tourists, which to me provides more charm and a feeling of really being among Parisians (and honestly, the hotel wouldn't be this much of a value if it were located in one of the higher rent tourist areas). It is located about 50 feet from the entrance to the metro. If you are a very light sleeper, this may be a problem as you WILL hear the metro rumbling underneath the hotel. It never woke me up. The hotel is located on Ligne 8, which takes you directly to many of the popular metro stops like Concorde, Bastille, and Opera. Most of the other attractions require just one change to another metro line.

The neighborhood is very nice, with many amenities close by, like a Monoprix (grocery store), a Nicholas wine shop, a branch of Fauchon gourmet store, and one of the best bakeries in all of Paris right across the street. The Bercy Village and the Viaduc des Arts are very nearby, and there are some good restaurants within a few blocks, including my personal favorite, Le Bistro de la Porte Doree. Three fantastic courses of hearty French cuisine, an aperitif, a bottle of wine, and coffee, all for the ridiculously cheap price of 33,5 Euros (about $45). I ate there twice and both evenings were worth every penny. I also ate at Wadja, a great bistro in the Montparnasse, recommended both by two friends. Although Christina was not familiar with the restaurant, she ably secured a reservation for me on a busy Friday night, and it was well-worth the visit.

As for a previous reviewers' comments about safety, I think that is a matter of one's own personal experience and comfort level. As a single female from a large city, I never felt one moment's apprehension walking through the neighborhood alone, day or night. As in any large city, one should exercise reasonable caution in protecting yourself and your valuables.

I will not hesitate to stay at this hotel again on my next visit to Paris, even if only for one night.

wonderful hotel, wonderful people

by TripAdvisor Member mhcraig

We stayed at the hotel Porte Doree for nine nights in late February 2005. It was everything we expected it to be. The owners and staff were extremely friendly and helpful - especially patrick once he came out of his shell! At the last minute he called on our behalf for dinner reservations at the Bistro Porte Doree right around the corner and got us a table. One of the best dining experiences of the trip. Wonderful food and amazing prices.
When there was a problem discovered with the room - a leak in the window that was causing mold on the wallpaper - they moved us to a larger nicer room without our even asking. This is an old, wonderful hotel with all the Paris charm and they work hard on the upkeep. And they apologized profusely for the inconvenience, tho it wasn't inconvenient at all. In regards to all the complaints people have about small rooms and elevator. It's much more than you'd expect for the money because of the service. this is a hotel in europe, rooms are smaller, that elevator was an adventure! Get some exercise, take the beautiful staircase! We didn't feel like it was an unsafe neighborhood at all. It was a residential neighborhood with everything you'd need nearby. Christine, the American owner, recommended some great itineraries and drew our route on a map before we left the hotel. One of those was an amazing walk along the viaduct to the Bastille, hardly mentioned in any guidebooks. her own guidebook, on the table in all the rooms, was wonderful too. At first blush, the breakfast may seem expensive, 6 euros, but we decided it was worth it afterall. Croissants and honey, little pitchers of coffee, juice and bagettes. Very convenient and brought to the room at no extra charge by a smiling attendee. Internet access was spotty. we had our lap top and were only able to connect using wifi about half the time. not a big deal, we weren't there to use the internet. yes, you could hear the metro, but it wasn't that bad. a low rumble that we heard if we happen to be awake. and think of all the money you save not having to pay for magic fingers! Regarding the location on the city's eastern edge, no problem. the metro was easy and fast and we hopped off in a different location every day using a week-long super-cheap metro pass. Despite what people say about the French not being friendly to Americans, it couldn't be further from the truth. And we don't speak any French. Everyone was very nice thru out paris. We'd stay at the port doree again and probably will.

a perfect stay

by TripAdvisor Member jimmyfunk

I just got back from my stay at this hotel (March 3 - 6) and have to say that we absolutely loved it. For the price I never imagined that we would find such a great hotel.

For starters, the front door is no more than 25 steps away from the entrance to the metro station, taking you anywhere you want to go in Paris. Everyone that worked at the front desk was extremely helpful. We had trouble making reservations for our restaurant one night and the guy at the desk made the phonecall for us and took care of everything.

The room was adorable. It was kinda small, but it was very very clean and everything in the room looked new. There was alot of care taken to make sure the room was very attractive. The only thing that I was kinda worried about was the shower was pretty small, but when I jumped in I saw that it had a removable showerhead! That solved that problem.

All things considered I not only highly recommend this hotel, but plan on certainly coming back very soon. Our entire experience from check-in to check-out was nothing short of perfect.

Great hotel, good value

by TripAdvisor Member klsmithmn

I stayed here with my daughter (who is living in Paris but wanted to hang out with me!) at the end of January. I was very impressed and plan to return with my wife at the end of March.

The area appeared very safe to both my daughter and I. She traveled alone one evening and felt comfortable. I would not have any concern with that regard. The hotel is directly next to the subway. That is very convenient but does create a moderate amount of noise. My daughter is a fairly light sleeper. She put in ear plugs and slept through the night, no problem.

The staff was very helpful, the room were basic but well appointed and very clean. The TV worked well and wireless internet worked in our room as well. There are some nice restaurants in the area of moderate prices. All in all an excellent value and well worth a look.

Very Good Experience

My daughter and I stayed for 5 days, beginning March 12th. Our room (#31) was on what the French call the 3rd floor, which is what Americans would call the 4th floor. It was large by European standards, with two single beds, a walkthrough dressing area to a clean, modern bathroom, with partitioned toilet. The beds were medium firm, and comfortable. There are insufficient outlets for multiple toys and appliances. The tall double windows in the main room open, and I enjoyed letting in the coolish air of Paris in early spring.

The bathtub is not fully enclosed, and one has to exercise care not to bounce a lot of water onto the floor. There are no handrails; those having trouble getting in or out of tubs might have trouble. A tall window in the bathroom also opens. There are no screens in these windows, at least at present. Our stay was bug free, but we can’t speak for the situation in summer.

There in inadequate desk/shelf/counter space throughout. There is not a proper place to set up a laptop, except in your lap. There is no clock or radio in the room. A small TV had about 12 channels, including one premium movie channel; but with much to do in Paris, we hardly turned it on. There is no ice. THERE IS FREE WIRELESS HIGHSPEED INTERNET. This is a tremendous benefit to those who can tap into it. For those not carrying laptops, there is a terminal in the lobby which is available for use. We kept in touch with family, friends and clients, and it is exciting to instantly put digital pictures in the hands of family.

The staff were always friendly, and helped us out at many junctures. We needed help with specialized vocabulary when my daughter decided to get a haircut and style at a salon up the street. We needed to borrow spoons when we started bringing ice cream home from the grocery to eat in the room. All would suffer our poor French, and speak to us in English if we wished.

Other reviews have mentioned the elevator. It is barely shoulder width. A large suitcase will not fit into it unless turned sideways. It can take multiple trips to get occupants and their luggage to their room. Certain movements (I didn’t figure this out entirely) of the elevator can cancel your “call,” leaving you waiting and wondering; make sure you keep the call button lit up. Use the elevator to upload your baggage, and take the stairs.

We heard the Metro rumbling, but this was a non-issue for us. My daughter did have an issue one evening with my snoring, though.

This hotel is in a residential neighborhood. Avenue Daumesnil seems to be pretty earthy down at this end, but if you choose to walk toward downtown, it transforms, first into an enclave of computer/geek storefronts, and then becoming more elegant. The Bois de Vincennes is nearby for those with time to spend enjoying a major parkland. There is a patisserie about every 3 blocks, including one right across the street. The nearest grocery is about 5 blocks, easily walked. We considered the neighborhood to be one of the desireable features of the hotel.

The Metro is a few steps to the left when you exit the front doors of the hotel. This is the #8 line, which tends to meander. Often it is quicker to take it a few stops, to Reuilly-Diderot, and transfer to a different line which goes more directly to your ultimate destination. In any event, what you lose by picking a hotel at the edge of the city is the 20 minutes of commute time it takes to get to central Paris. What you gain is the neighborhood, and probably cheaper room prices because of the outlying location.

I would recommend it to those who want to mix a little with “real” Parisians. And my daughter (age 20 and no snob) says: “I would completely stay there again.”

economic stay in Paris

Hello!

Could someone recommend a hotel or bed and breakfast place somewhere not far from the centre of Paris (walking distance from the centre), preferably 2 stars but normal quality? Or maybe there are people who rent a room for 5 nights? Would appreciate any suggestion!

by jburks1

2 stars are claustrophobic. I stayed at the Hotel Plaza Opera (visit my virtualtourist page) which was in the Opera District; a 3 star and it was small. The one good thing was the breakfast buffet my hotel provided. Depending on the season the hotel costs will vary; my advice, study, study, study. A good, cost efficient room is out there, but you've got to spend some time shopping.

by zuriga

Check out www.ratestogo.com for Paris. They have a wide range of hotels with good prices. Even more expensive Paris hotels have small rooms so maybe you'd be better off with a hostel instead.

by kissia

thank you! I am searching.. the thing is that I come to hotel only to sleep so I just need clean, normal room maybe not a pocket size and shower...

by Beausoleil

Hi. We try to stay at Hotel de la Sorbonne. It's small but clean and inexpensive. Very friendly and the location is fabulous. They are off the Place de la Sorbonne across the street from the university. You can walk to Notre Dame, the Louvre, Ste. Chapelle, d'Orsay, Ile St. Louis, Cluny, Tuileries and Luxembourg Gardens and lots of other places. We walk to the Place des Vosges and on to the Picasso Museum from there and we're in our 60s.

We reserve on http://www.france.com (type Sorbonne into the search window) but you can also reserve on the hotel's own web site at http://www.hotelsorbonne.com/

I'd check both sites to see which has the best rates. France.com often is less than the hotel web site. They also have a nice and inexpensive breakfast buffet although there are a lot of cafes around the corner that are cheaper.

Here is the URL to my Paris Hotels & Accomdations Tips and this is one of them. We really like it, especially for longer stays because it is so reasonably priced. http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/7ba16/18308/3/

by tarki

I recommend "Hôtel Jeanne d'Arc" in "le Marais" district... Inexpensive, central, nice:)
regards...

by neesie1

If you don't find anything in the center of Paris (which is where I wanted to stay last year but didn't), we really enjoyed the Hotel de la Porte Doree which was near the Vincennes park. I'm staying there again this year. Very lively neighborhood, right outside the metro (maybe 15 minutes ride to the Louvre, at most). I plan to do at least one day of walking into central Paris, which I understand is about 3 miles. :)

Thank you very much!!!