Hotel des Arts Paris

Booking.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Paris

Musee RodinMusee Rodin

Place du Tertre . . . have your portrait donePlace du Tertre . . . have your portrait done

funicular to Montmartefunicular to Montmarte

La Plage à Paris, 07/08La Plage à Paris, 07/08

Visiting Palace of Versailles in June

by OZRogerM

Hi
Can I get advise on the best current method to pre purchase entry tickets to the Palace of Versailles in Paris.

by eliza61

The Versailles home page, has an on line ordering function. You print your tickets out on your home computer so no waiting for any thing in the mail. I have not tried it (but I plan to a little closer to my date) so I'm not sure if its more expensive or not.

by Jeannette1

If you check VT member Pedmar's page, he has some good tips on Versailles. He lives there.
Jeannette

by MapleMoose

Can you recommend a good source for establishing a strategy to attacking Versailles in one day. I look at the enormity of it and worry that I will realize too late that I have missed a highlight. I am the type who finds something, takes a look and some pics then moves on. I do not dawdle but I still think it will be so large and confusing that I will mess up! Any advice?
We are going in August and wonder if we should pay for a tour from the hotel to avoid confusion but at the same time it would seem many of the tours just scratch the surface but might save a lot of time in a ticket buying queue,

by MapleMoose

Thank you. We shall endeavour to do that if there are any airlines standing or flying after the volcanic ash lifts!

Travel Tips for Paris

Sites and People

by JackieBryan80

My favorite thing about Paris was learing about the history and seeing all the great sites. The best memory of France was the day we landed there. I was there when the World Cup was on and most of the people were very nice to us. We had some problems though. Some people spit on us because we had Canadian flags on our bags.

le Marais...Could Be Home!

by tpal

Recently, I was thinking of the places Carol and I had been and was wondering...in which of these places had I felt the most connected to a community (?). Of all the possible little villages and charming towns we had made an effort to "slow travel" in, it occurred to me that, of all places, Paris began to feel the most like home. Specifically, the neighborhood of le Marais.

I know it seems odd that an area within a huge international city could be the most welcoming but I think I understand why.

Certainly there are tourist in le Marais but you never feel that they are central to this neighborhood's being. Real people live here. Not just the jet set but regular people who pick up a baguette on the way to the Metro as they hurry off to work and fill the cafes and falafel bars in the evening with their dogs under their tables. And, they live behind those big wooden doors that lead to private courtyards and four story walk-up apartments.

In a small country village you try to blend in but everyone knows you're just visiting. In a city and especially in a neighborhood like le Marais, it might seem like you actually belong. A few visits to the same patisserie or that Jewish deli and who knows, someone might think..."they might have just moved in down the street!"

Of course, it's all just an illusion but still...walking around in le Marais starts to feel like home.

Le Marais is located on the Right Bank just above Ile St. Louis, west of the Bastille and east of Les Halles...more or less. Intro Photo: Taken at Rue de Turenne and Rue des Francs Bourgeois...site of our first café au lait. It seems to be a plaza but is merely a pleasant intersection.

Photo 2: Taken from the main street of le Marais, Rue Saint-Antoine, looking down Rue Jacques Coeur...obviously one of the more up-scale areas about a block from Place de la Bastille.

Photo 3: We wished we had discovered this place sooner. A charming cafe with some of the best pastries we found. Located at the corner of Rue Tiron and Rue Francois Miron.

Photo 4: Southwest America meets New York City meets Paris' Jewish Quarter...Micky's Deli is all that and delicious! Located at 23 Bis Rue des Rosiers.

Photo 5: On our first evening stroll we happened upon Rue des Barres with the Church Saint-Gervais just peaking out on the left.

Seine River Cruise

by Gypsystravels

One of the best ways to see a bit of "Paris" is by Seine River Cruise. During my most recent visit to Paris to celebrate my birthday a few vt friends and I decided to do exactly that.

VincentJJ came baring gifts, he brought the ladies all roses, how sweet.

Low Fat

by ExGuyParis

One thing I have observed about the French-- especially Parisians-- nobody is overweight. It is a bit paradoxical; a country that delights in eating has very few overweight people (compared to the US, where more than half the population is considered medically "overweight.") Several theories: genetics, red wine, more exercise (walking around Paris). I lost 15 kilos in the first year I lived here, without trying. Is it the exercise? The wine? The air? Who knows?

P.S. Since moving back to the US, I've gained all the lost weight back. Bummer.

Run up the Eiffel Tower

by fishandchips

You can pay to go up the South tower using only your legs and spirit. If you prepare properly you can run up in double quick time and beat the maddening crowds. If you strike it lucky you can walk the bit from level 2 to level 3 however this is not for the faint hearted - believe me as I have made the journey and it is very freaky!! Lots of water, camera and choc bars.

Comments