2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

Hotels.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Rated 12% higher but also costs 30% more than other 2.5 star hotels

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

Good value on RER B *5e

I spent 6 nights here with my husband and, aside from getting used to the RER as our main "metro", we found it very agreeable.
    You could faintly hear the RER in my room on the 3rd floor [there are 5 floors], but unless you are a princess it is no problem, in fact reassuring. The rooms and bathrooms are clean and well-fitted. There was a hair dryer and enough outlets here and there for recharging your technology. The shower was excellent. Someone spent money on the fixtures -- they were Grohe and very solid. [I had looked at Grohe for our bathroom at home, but they were too expensive!]
    My only criticisms are small. There is too much fluorescent light in the lobby, which lacks charm, and the breakfast, while ample, does not have the freshest bread. On the other hand the manager/owner is very nice as are his assistants. They do speak English, but we operated only in French and it went swimmingly. Now that I have the RER and changing at Chatelet down pretty well I would stay there again in a minute.

Unique Quality: The bathroom was the highlight. It was a good size with good fixtures, plenty of hot water and very nice tile.

Directions: Just a block south of the southern Luxembourg RER exit [The "B" train"]

More about Hotel des Mines

Loved Hotel des Mines - great value!

My husband and I stayed at Hotel des Mines from 9/27/05-10/2/05 for 89 euros/night. We knew basically what to expect from reading other reviews on this site, but we were still pleasantly surprised. Our room was small, but it was very clean and cute, and most importantly, the bed was comfortable. We had a window that opened into the courtyard as requested, and we also had air conditioning - nice surprise! An even nicer surprise was the size of the bathroom. I was expecting a tiny bathroom with an even tinier shower stall, but the bathroom was fairly large - we even had a bathtub! The staff at the hotel was very nice and helpful. There was an internet kiosk in the lobby - it was a little bit more expensive than the internet cafes down the street, but we liked the convenience. We also liked the convenience of the grocery store next door and the Metro stop less than a block away. We didn't have breakfast at the hotel, but it didn't look that impressive - I'd skip it and eat at a cafe. Overall, this hotel was great and more than met our expectations. Unless you're looking for a luxury hotel, I don't think you can do much better than Hotel des Mines for the price.

Great budget find, clean and friendly!

by TripAdvisor Member joan1

This hotel is a great budget find. We( teenage son and I ) stayed here for two nights and wished we had stayed there longer. We had booked a room at a fanicer hotel in the 1st arr, but needed a room at the last minute for two extra nights, the fancier( read, more exspensive) hotel could not accomadate us, so we booked at the Hotel des Mines, only one week ahead of arrival.

The Hotel des Mines is a find.! Only 60 Euros a night for a twin room. Yes the room is small, but is will be spotlessly clean. The bathroom had only a shower, but it was new and clean and good hot water pressure. Warning shower is small, if you are more then 6 ft tall, or weigh more then 180 lbs, then I would think you would find it too crowded.
The staff all spoke a bit of english and were all very polite and kind, I really felt quite welcome here!
There is a computer with internet in the lobby, and not too exspensive to use.
We never had breakfast there ( 8 euros )( it looked good though) but instead hit Mc Ds for a an egg McMuffin for . 95 euros( hey I have a teenage boy, he needs at least 2 or 3 to fill up! LOL) There are many places nearby to eat.

Great location, just a 10 or 15 minute walk to Siene, The Cluny, Latin Quarter, lots of cheap eats, and there is a small grocery store just a few feet from hotel!
Although on a busy road, we found that by closing the double windows most of the sound was muted. You can sometimes feel the vibration of the trains passing underneath the hotel, but this didn't bother us at all, and the trains stop after midnight.
The rooms had good individual air conditioning. Beds comfy.

I would absolutely book there again, but , if you want a large room, don't go, the rooms are small, but , hey , so is the price. Our other hotel cost us three times as much( over 200 euro a night) and although room was larger the location was not as good for cheap eats, so try the Des Mines , it was great.

Just as expected

by TripAdvisor Member movado629

We spent three days and two nights in Paris at the beginning of a two week vacation. We were looking for something centrally located yet cheaper in price. Our second week was in Italy and we did not want to spend all our money for a hotel in Paris. According to the reviews, Hotel des Mines was just as described. It is a basic, clean hotel at a great price in pretty good location. We reserved a double and received a triple. The extra room was nice to stretch out in the little bit we were in the room. The only bad thing about the room were the pillows. I believe that at some point in their history they had been foam pillows. Now they are just a bag full of crumbled foam. We walked to eveything and took the bus or a taxi back to the hotel at night. The Pantheon is just a few blocks away and well worth the cliimb to the top. You could hear and slightly feel the subway as it went underneath the hotel, but it stopped running at 12:30 pm so no big deal. If you are a light sleeper you may want a higher floor. The staff at the front desk were helpful and answered the questions we had. If you need a reasonably priced hotel in a great location, this is it.

Good location, fair price

Our room was (like most room in Paris) small but clean with good quality clean sheets on the bed. The bathroom was small but again clean, with a basic but working shower cubicle. Breakfast is simple, and probably better value if you get your own from one of the local Brasseries or bakeries. One word of warning is that the hotel is obviously right ontop of the RER/Metro, and it's possible you may get some slight noise/vibration from the trains which run until after midnight. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful. There is a handy mini-supermarket just a few yards along the road where you can buy your snacks, water or wine. There are several banks with cash dispensers within easy walking distance.
Situated in the Latin Quarter it is handy for spending your time with a quiet walk in the Jardin Luxenbourg, or about 15 minutes walk from the life of the St Michel/St Germain area with it's restaurants and bars. Local sights include the Pantheon, Sorbonne & Notre Dame to name a few. Access from the airport and to the Metro is good.
I can best recommend this hotel by saying that we would definitely consider it next time.

Good budget option

by TripAdvisor Member maguto

Our first impression of this hotel was not great - the corridors to the bedroom were dark and had a strange odour. The room itself was definitely the smallest I have ever stayed in but it was clean and the bed was comfortable. The ensuite bathroom, strangely at odds with the bedroom, was large and looked like it had been recently renovated - it was modern, stylishly decorated and had an excellent shower over the bath (very good water pressure and lots of hot water).

The location of the hotel was very convenient - we were able to take a direct train from CDG to the Luxemburg stop, which was less than 5 minutes walk to the hotel. It is about 15 minutes walk to the Place Saint Michel, which has a great nightlife - lots of bustling bars and restaurants.

Overall, I would say that the hotel is a good budget choice (we paid €100 for a "superior" room, which I think meant it had an en-suite!) for Paris and we would consider staying there again.

Good budget choice

by TripAdvisor Member HappytoGo

I was very pleased with this hotel. It is in a great location with easy access to stores, restaurants, grocery story, bakery, Internet service, transportation and sights. For a budget hotel in Paris I would recommend this to anyone.

My only complaint was that in a first floor room we could slightly hear and feel the subway below us.

cheap and cheerful

by TripAdvisor Member clarewood2

This hotel provided us with everything we needed - great access to the Metro and the trains, friendly concierge service, great breakfast. And the location is perfect - just enough out of the way so that it's quiet, yet within easy walking distance to some fun restaurants and other amenities. (Plus there's a grocery store nearly next door.)

The rooms are a little small, but who wants to spend time in your hotel room when you're in PARIS????!!!

We'd come back.

Happy traveller from Sydney

Perfect for us

Stayed 4 nights at this hotel last month. I booked it as a result of reading the reviews on this site.

Well it was perfect for us (myself and 16-year-old son). We walked almost everywhere - it's only 10-15 minutes walk to Notre Dame and St Germain - and found heaps of dining options a short distance away. The small supermarket almost next door was also very useful.

We had a twin (Room 203) which was small but perfectly formed. The decor looked quite new and the beds were extremely comfortable. Bathroom was tiny but everything worked perfectly.

Reception staff all spoke excellent English and were helpful and pleasant.
We never took breakfast in the hotel as we preferred to eat out.

Highly recommended if you're looking for a low-cost, conveniently-situated hotel with all facilities and don't mind smallish rooms.

Great value

by TripAdvisor Member sevenseas

For a 2-star hotel, this is excellent value for money. Very clean, comfortable, friendly service and in a great location. Can walk to many areas of Paris or alternatively, the metro is only a few minutes walk away.

Paris recommendation needed

by cacosta

Hi,
I'll be traveling through Paris in October and I need hotel/Inn/hostel recommendations. I will be there for only two days and I'd like to keep the cost to less than $150 USD per night. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive but nice place to stay?

by yma123

hi there...

not sure who you are travelling with but I stayed in a hotel in the latin quarter last year with 2 other gals (so 3 of us all up) & we payed 118euro per night for a triple room

we stayed at Au Royal Cardinal Hotel

I just checked & there are single rooms for 98 euro

good little hotel & good service & a short walk to most things...

by Beausoleil

I usually recommend the Hotel de la Sorbonne where we stay but I just checked their web site and they have redecorated the entire hotel and raised their rates. They used to offer doubles from 60 to 80 euros. Now it is 70 to 170 euros depending on availability. October is often convention time so rates tend to be a little higher than normal. You can check but it's a whole new hotel to me looking at the web site. The location can't be beat and if you can get one of their lower rates, it's a great place to stay. Don't eat the 13 euro buffet (that used to be 5 euros) but go to a cafe nearby. Here's the web site. http://www.hotelsorbonne.com/

by TravellerMel

Check out the Hotel St. Andre des Arts - excellent location in the Latin Quarter, walking distance to Notre Dame, 2 Metro stops very close by. When I stayed last year, it was something like 66 Euro per night. Rooms are not fancy, but clean. I have a review on my VT page if you'd like to see pictures. Have a wonderful time in Paris! I'm not jealous... OK, maybe just a little...

by Pomerol

You can also try :

Hotel des Mines right next to Jardins du Luxembourg (and the same RER B stop direct from CDG)

or Hotel St Jacques on rue de la Médecine