3 Place du General Koenig, 17th Arr., Paris, Ile-de-France, 75017, France

Booking.com Priceline.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

Rated 17% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

• Lafayette Club Excellent

Me, my wife and 12 year old on vacation.
    Upgraded to Lafayette club.
    Room was very clean, big enough for three of us, free internet.
    Beds were very comfortable with clean white duvets.
    Air conditioning was good and quiet.
    Room was very quiet.

Unique Quality: Lafayette club provides great extras.
    3 to 6 tea time, snacks etc in a private lounge.
    Morning full American breakfast in a private lounge and served by professional staff.
    Anytime can go for a complimentary dring in the private lounge.
    15 newspapers to choose from.
    Private business centre.
    Full access to club med fitness club.
    Hotel Lafayette staff all very interested in helping us have a great vacation.
    Connected to subay and trains underground.
    Very safe and secure.

• Two hotels in one

The Hotel Concorde LaFayette is a business class hotel with some tourist class floors. The top ten floors are called the Club Lafayette and are usually awarded four stars. This part of the hotel has better amenities, such as free use of the adjacent fitness club. The remaining twenty floors have standard rooms without such amenities. Some of these standard rooms have been renovated, but some are now showing their age.

The Concorde hotel chain itself ranks the Club LaFayette rooms in the middle tier and the LaFayette standard rooms in the lower tier of their offerings. Their top tier is the Hotel Crillon, which few hotels in the world could match.

When I evaluate a hotel, I consider five factors: price, location, rooms, services, and access to transportation.

This will be a lengthy review, but after you have read each of the five sections you will be able to form your own opinion about this based on which of these factors is most important to you.

Let me begin by saying that I stayed in the Hotel Concorde LaFayette for five nights in January 2009. I bought this hotel at a discount by blind bidding on priceline.com. This was the cheapest priceline “four star” hotel in Paris at the time (I added zones with each re-bid until my final bid essentially included all Paris). I paid $127 US per night for a double room, including all fees and taxes, but not including breakfast. I consider this a good value for a clean and safe tourist class hotel in Paris, even in the winter season.

During my stay I met a couple who had booked the same hotel and same standard room for the same price on Travelocity.com. However their room included the large buffet breakfast, for which the hotel charges 27 euros. For a double that is a savings of 54 euros ($75 US) per day. Next time I will search other discount websites more thoroughly before bidding on pricelinecom.

LOCATION The Hotel Concorde LaFayette is a large (950 room) highrise hotel adjacent to the convention center (Palais des Congres) located at the northwest edge of Paris (Porte Maillot) on the ring road (the Peripherique). On the metro this is two stops beyond the end of the Champs Elysees (Etoile station), and is as far out as you can go and still be inside the central transport zones 1&2 (more about transport later).

Because of its location, this hotel seemed to cater to conventioneers, flight crews, and bus tour groups. This neighborhood contains many modern apartment buildings, but for shopping I relied on the large mall in the basement level of the adjacent convention center. It mainly has upscale clothing stores, but also has a gourmet grocery store and a bakery/sandwich shop, where I purchased breakfast and lunch items at a fraction of restaurant prices.

PRICE The (maximum) rack rate posted in my room was 600 euros ($840 US) per night, but I doubt anyone pays that amount. Most standard rooms are probably purchased in bulk by tour companies and airlines. The price I paid is probably near the minimum, and its value depends in part on whether breakfast is included and whether one gets a renovated or older standard room. I do not know how much more a four star Club room would cost, and assume these are not generally available to internet discounters.

It was my impression that individuals who purchased through priceline.com are at the bottom of this hotel’s food chain. When I called in advance to confirm my reservation and request a renovated room, the hotel agent immediately knew I was a priceline.com customer and said quite honestly that it was unlikely that I would get a renovated room.

On my arrival, the receptionist again mentioned that I was a priceline.com client. I again requested a renovated room, and was told that there was one available on the 8th floor, but that I would probably not like it because on that floor the renovations were still going on.

When I then requested an upper floor room with a view, I was told that there was one available on the 24th floor, but that I would probably not like it because it was an all smoking floor (I had previously requested a non-smoking room).

Again, I felt like the bottom of the hotel’s food chain. I accepted the room that they had already set aside for me on the northwest corner of the non-smoking 12th floor.

ROOMS The standard rooms are comfortable. They are somewhat pie-shaped due to the curvature of the hotel façade. They are about the size of a good cruise ship cabin, with a large window wall including a window that opens.

The standard bathroom and the bedding are first rate. The bathroom is fully tiled, with granite counters and a bathtub-shower combo, which I used several times a day to warm up. My bath had abundant hot water, but another guest whom I met mentioned that their shower ran hot and cold, perhaps due to peak tour group usage. The maids kept my bathroom immaculately clean

The beds are extra firm, which I like, and had beautiful long duvets. European duvets are often too short to cover my feet, but these were perfect. The bed linen was spotless and top quality.

The standard room includes a flat screen TV with access to dozens of channels, several in English. It also has a mini-bar with breathtakingly high prices. A small bottle of water or a small soda was 7 euros ($10 US), a small bag of chips or M&Ms was also 7 euros, and a pack of gum was 5 euros ($7 US). There is a significant fee to remove these items for personal use of the refrigerator. I preferred not to touch a thing.

The remainder of my room was showing its age. The walls were somewhat scuffed by luggage, and the carpet had some stains. The room décor was somewhat retro (white formica with brass accents). I generally do not care about room decor since I sleep with my eyes closed. I do not know what improvements a renovated standard room offers.

The one and only major problem I had with my room was the lack of adequate heat. The Paris weather during my stay was around the freezing point (there was some snow and ice on sidewalks). I would have loved to come back to a warm and cozy hotel room at the end of each day, but unfortunately my room was too chilly for my comfort.

The room had a temperature knob (red and blue arrows, but no true thermostat) and a fan speed knob. When both were set on high, the room temperature still felt like the low 60’s F, even though I kept the window shades and draperies closed day and night to conserve heat. I took several hot showers and tubs each day to warm up, and otherwise stayed under the duvet.

SERVICES Since I was on vacation, I did not use any of the hotel business services. Laundry was expensive, as in most hotels. To wash a polo shirt cost 10 euros ($14 US) and a handkerchief 4 euros ($5.60 US). The bathroom exhaust was powerful, and hand washed items dried overnight if wrung in a towel.

Room service had a standard menu. At breakfast time the toast, tea, and fruit salad cost 9+7+10=26 euros ($36 US), which made the breakfast buffet a relative bargain. Hotels guests receive cards for a 15% discount at the hotel restaurant and 25% discount at the panorama bar. Again, I ate elsewhere and cannot comment on the hotel’s food quality.

The receptionists were friendly and switched to English soon after hearing my gender-bending French. Service otherwise was variable.

The “shavers only” socket in my bathroom was recessed so that I could not recharge my camera battery. The concierge on duty could not lend an adapter, but sold them for 10 euros ($14 US) each. When I asked about alternative outlets, he kindly volunteered to recharge the battery in his office.

When I left the hotel for the airport, I asked another concierge if he had flight delay information for de Gaulle airport (there were major snowstorms in the US the day before, which threw schedules off). He responded “Why, do you have a problem?” I did not inquire further.

ACCESS TO TRANSPORTATION As I mentioned, the peripheral location of the hotel Concorde LaFayette makes access from the airport easy, but adds travel time for sightseeing in the city center. Porte Maillot is on the RER system, but from CDG it requires a train change and many stops along the way.

The “Les Cars” bus shuttle service (route #2 to Etoile) of Air France is non-stop to the hotel, and worth the extra euros just to void the RER stairs and transfer (15 euros one way and 24 euros round trip for the Air France shuttle bus; 9 euros each way for the RER).

There are three useful bus lines from the hotel into the city center, but I usually avoided the buses due to the cold. Route 43 runs frequently and stops directly outside the hotel entrance. It passes the Salle Pleyel (which is a fine venue for classical music) then continues past the stores of Blvd Haussmann and ends at the Gare du Nord.

The remaining buses and metro (and RER) leave from the convention center side of the building, about a 200 meter walk from the hotel. Access is via the far south end of the basement mall, which is convenient in bad weather.

Bus #73 has a beautiful route down the Ave de la Grande Armee, then the Champs Elysees, terminating a block west of the Musee D’Orsay (which is also served from the hotel by the RER line C). Unfortunately this bus has a relatively infrequent 15 minute cycle.

Bus #82 has a convenient and scenic route which goes down Ave de Malakoff, then past the Musee Guimet, then the Eiffel tower, then Les Invalides, terminating in the Latin Quarter at the Luxembourg Gardens on the Blvd St. Michel.

The metro is fastest and most convenient for most sightseeing destinations, since line #1 goes from the hotel directly into the city center.

CONCLUSION There you have it. Like any hotel, the Hotel Concorde LaFayette has its good and its bad points. You now should have an idea how well it fits your needs. Bon voyage!

Directions: Next to convention center at Porte Maillot (NW edge of Paris)

• Manara's Profile Photo

Stunning view and great service

I knew this hotel because it is in the same block as the Palais des Congrés, and I had been in its panoramic bar before. So, during a trip to Paris for a business meeting at the Palais des Congrés it was quite obviously the most convenient accommodation.
    I must point out that when there are conventions or other big events at the Palais des Congrés it becomes virtually impossible, and horrendously expensive, to get a room here. On the other hand, on days when there is nothing on it is possible to get substantial discounts. And when I say substantial I mean 70% discount or more on the rack rate. So I recommend to look for the special offers on the hotel's website.
    Rooms are nothing special, but service deserves five stars.

Unique Quality: This hotel is a tower with more than 30 floors, and there are no other tall buildings around it, so one can enjoy a great view from its windows. If you cannot have a view of the Tour Eiffel it means you have a view of Montmartre and the Sacre Coeur, so it is a win-win situation.
    I have already mentioned the panoramic bar: it is a great place, on the top floor, and all tables have a view. If you spend there your first evening in Paris, sipping a cocktail, it will become an unforgettable memory.

Directions: At one end of the Avenue de la Grand Armée (the Arc de Triomphe is on the other end).

• kylamees's Profile Photo

Best view to city

I was there during a conference. Good location to walk even to Eiffel :) Very near to Arc de Triomphe.

Unique Quality: Free WiFi internet at rooms.

• dhepsley's Profile Photo

Hotel with a view to remember

Located in the heart of Paris and just a brisk walk or short taxi ride from all the popular sites. The rooms have an incredible view of Paris. Club La Fayette rooms have the best views (located on the 30th to 33rd floors) and service in CL rooms is impeccable and very reasonable in price. Highly recommended.

• The best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know that you might find it expencive, but you'll see that it is the best. You'' love it. I spend there seven days and it was great. Especially the roof bar. You can see everything from there. Believe me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unique Quality: Roof bar and breakfast are great. And og course the view from the rooms, especially when you stay at 7 and up floor.

• Raisamb's Profile Photo

Why pay this much?

I have stayed here quite often with work, (at least 30 times). This hotel is in a great location, clean safe, but for the prices quoted not worth it. Try Hotel L'Esperance in the 5th. Or go to jack-travel.com and checkout his charme hotels!

Unique Quality: Metro downstairs. Galleries Gourmande downstairs.

Directions: Great area, but not charming.

More about Hotel Concorde La Fayette

Definitely not a 4 star

I am staying at the "Impressive Looking" Concorde Lafayette....though I am not impressed one bit. Firstly I booked a double room, but was given a room with 2 single beds...I was subsequently moved to the room next door which was a double (though really it was two single beds pushed together)...fair enough I thought...then I looked for the tea/coffee making stuff...there was none, so I called to ask where it was and they said they didn't provide kettles etc but could give me hot water in a flask....the next morning I asked them if they had any kettles, the conceirge told me they would be getting some delivered and I could have one of them...on my way back in the evening I asked a different concierge if the kettles had arrived...he knew nothing about it and wasn't exactly helpful. The next day again I asked and was told that no kettles were available but I could get hot water bla bla bla, so I gave up on my quest for a kettle. Yesterday I called for some hot water and the waiter brought it, along with a bill for 3 EUR for the hot water!!! What a cheek!! To top it off at 6am the couple in the next room decided to have a loud discussion shall we say, I could hear it even though I was wearing earplugs...I called reception but the phone just rang for about 2 minutes - I think he was asleep...Anyway eventually he answered and he said he would send security to sort it out. They never turned up of course, I think the receptionist fell back to sleep and forgot all about it, good job they werent murdering each other next door I thought.... All in all this place is the pits, they dont provide irons or ironing boards either you have to go to a room on the 2nd floor where there is ....wait for it...1 iron and board to use, bear in mind there are 23 floors in this hotel???? Plus it stank of cigarettes in the ironing room, not nice if you are ironing your clean clothes. The staff were arrogant, unhelpful and stereotypically french I am sorry to say....dont bother staying here, its not worth the money.

from the Concorde La Fayettefrom the Concorde La Fayette

Concorde laFayetteConcorde laFayette

Hotel Concorde la Fayette - can someone tell me about this hotel, area, metro station, cheap bakery

by Tania99

Hi
A friend and I (girls)will be staying at the Hotel Concorde la Fayette(3, Place du Général Kœnig | 75017 Paris)for 7 nights. This hotel was included in our package. We took it for the 4.5 star rating. Has anyone stayed here? Can you please share some details about the metro/buses close to it, inexpensive bakeries/restaurant, safety, and proximity to tourist places. I would appreciate any details.
Thanks

Re: Hotel Concorde la Fayette

by Manara

This hotel is a tower with more than 30 floors and there are no other tall buildings around it, so even if your room is not ain the highest floors you are likely to have a nice view from your window. If your room is not on the side where you can see the Eiffel Tower it will probably have a view of Montmartre and the Sacre Coeur.
There is a panoramic bar at the top floor: it is a great place and all tables have a view. Drinks are expensive, but I think there are times when prices are discounted. Ask the concierge about it.
There's a metro station in the square close to the hotel (Place du Porte Maillot) and if you want to go for a walk you can reach the Arc de Triomphe in a few minutes, walking along the Avenue de la Grand Armee, which is the continuation of the Champs Elysee.
In the surroundings there are restaurants and cafes in a wide range of prices.
In the same block there is a shopping centre, situated in the lower levels of the Centre des Congres. There are two floors of shops and also some places to eat (not expensive) and it is not a tourist trap, I met lots of Parisians there.

Re: Hotel Concorde la Fayette

by Manara

I forgot the question about safety. Yes, it is a safe area. I stayed at that hotel only once, but I was twice in another hotel across the street. I never met any strange or unpleasant people and never had any problems when walking alone or with another woman in the evenings.

Re: Hotel Concorde la Fayette - can someone tell me about this hotel, area, metro station, cheap bak

by cochinjew

if I am not mistaken Le Bus the air france bus stops just front of the hotel. the area is rather nice with bistro/brasserie restaurants within walking distance. if you are in paris for 7 days it may be worth your while to get a Navigo which costs around 22 euros (monday to sunday inclusive) and it is very convenient as you can hop on the bus, metro or rer... better to get zones 1-3 if you are planning visiting some of the suburbs if not zones 1-2 would do..

Comments