Ibis Meudon La Foret-Velizy

7 Route du Colonel Marcel, Moraine, Meudon-la-Foret, Ile-de-France, 92360, France
Ibis Paris Meudon Velizy
Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

More about Paris

ChartierChartier

central nave decoration - Nov 2010central nave decoration - Nov 2010

Domme,FranceDomme,France

Pigeons and pyramids, place de l'Hotel de Ville.Pigeons and pyramids, place de l'Hotel de Ville.

Suggestions for a day trip

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone could suggest some places worth visiting as part of a day trip from Paris. Places within a 2 - 3 hours radius (by train) will be fine. I don't mind getting an early train (05:00 - 07:00) and going back to Paris late.

I have visited Paris on numerous occasions and have seen a fair number of places as part of day trips, so I'm looking for new suggestions. Here's an incomplete list of places I have visited (not all by train) on day trips:

- Amiens, Angers, Arras, Auxerre
- Saint-Denis, Senlis, Sens, St-Omer, Strasbourg
- Toul, Tours, Troyes
- Versailles

by rexvaughan

We have done day trips to both Provins and Rambouillet and found them both very enjoyable and they are both in Ile de France and each is about an hour from Paris. Provins is an old fortified city that is fascinating and easily walkable. Rambouillet is a Presidential reatreat manor with a nice woods/garden beside it. Napoleon and Marie Antoinette both have rooms; Napoleon's bathroom (colorful but small) and her bedroom (very ornate). I am sure you can find more on google as well as mine and other VTers pages.

by sirgaw

I'm a fan of Versailles and the buildings and the gardens can take a lot more than one day, so I'd suggest re-visiting.

by kathymof

Dijon is a great little place to visit and the old town is just a short walk from the train station.

by rexvaughan

Sorry I misse that you have been to Provins. One more if you like gardens or Monet, is his garden at Giverny. It is about an hour west of Paris. The train takes you to Vernon, then you can catch a bus or taxi or walk or rent a bicycle across the street from the train station. It is a nice and easy walk or ride of about 2.5-3 miles and there is a bicycle and pedestrian path across the Seine. If you rent a bicycle, the will give you a map.

by coco18530

I agree with Givenchy. The gardens are beautiful. If you are lucky and you visit in the right time of the year, you can see the water lilies.

by cubsur

Theoretically you can visit Bordeaux in a day trip - it is only 3 hours by TGV but might be rather expensive! Brussels is now only 1hr 20 minutes or so from Paris by the Thalys high speed train. Also with Thalys is Antwerp, 2 hours journey.

Similarly, Lyon is only 2 hours from Paris by TGV.

However, the cheapest tickets for these trains sell out quickly and if you waited until the last moment you will pay the most expensive fare or the train might be full.

by Beausoleil

Bourges is another suggestion you might consider. Type it into the VT Search Window above and see what you think. We've always enjoyed it.

Enjoy your choice, whatever it is.

Many thanks for the suggestions. So far I like the idea of visiting Bourges or
Rambouillet.

I've visited Brussels, Antwerp, Bordeaux and Lyon, though not as day trips.

by Maryimelda

You don't mention Le Mont St Michel.

by TheVisitor

Do you know Barbizon? Vaux-Le-Vicomte? Auvers-Sur-Oise? not too far from Paris.

by QuisquoseQuique

Many thanks for the latest suggestions. I have been to Mont St Michel, so probably won't opt for a day trip there really. I don't know Barbizon or Auvers-Sur-Oise, so will look into those two. I know of Vaux-le-Vicomte, but have never been there, so that will go onto my list.

It seems thay my day trip will be to one of the following places - Dampierere; Rambouillet; Royaumont; Vaux-le-Vicomte; Écouen; Bourges; Autun; Beaune; Besançon; Moret-sur-Loing or Meaux.

And maybe at a push, I could try Clermond-Ferrand, but at 3h25 minutes from Paris by train, I'm not too sure really.

Travel Tips for Paris

Voted the most romantic place on earth!

by A2002

Paris was voted as the most romantic city to visit. I find it's a romantic place to visit for couples too. Why?

Answer: Because everybody said so... hahaha...

In my opinion, the travel companion, sights, and comfort of travel, do contribute to the feeling of romance... Every places just have their own culture, sights and smell. It's just one's perspective and experience that made a place a "romantic place". This trip to Paris was indeed a romantic one :).

Naturally one must see the...

by Packerman

Naturally one must see the Eiffel Tower if one visits Paris. We had a great time lying our blanket on the Champ-de-Mars and having a picnic with the sandwiches and drinks we bought from some street vendor. Our daughter ran around playing and our baby son slept in his stroller under a shady tree.

Funiculaire

by Norali

Ha! That was something...

This glass-covered funiculaire was something surprising and not expected to all.
I expected the metro rides, the plane ride. But this!

Well, we were visiting Montmartre area when I first (and only) used it. Even in Belgium, I'd never used any funiculaire. For that reason, "funiculaire" is tightly linked to Paris, for me... esp. the Montmartre area...

I was impressed by the ride "in the air".. just hanging in a box, thanks to some cables (or so I thought). As usual, my thoughts couldn't help it. I was imagining what if it got stuck in the air or if the cables got cut...

Yet, I was excited by those rides. But excitement was not that long, I just discovered I have vertigo problems... Instinctively, I avoided looking what was under my box... better fixing something far and seeing it approaching (or so it seems while "my" box was approaching the target). Brrrrr...

Some Parisians are rude

by joiwatani

I am not sure how a touristsy place like Paris has their residents very rude and very snobbish. What happened if tourists will stop going to Paris? What happened if everybody stop going to France and they are isolated?

I heard many times before that Americans save France twice. But, is that enough for the French people to be friendly? Or is it just their customs?

One Parisian (CestVT) explained to me that the Parisians cannot be all smiling all the time when they have to do their daily regular living, i.e., taking the train. She said that I can't be smiling when it is too crowded and there is so much traffic!

I agree with her but I have been to many tourist destinations like for example, Hawaii. You go to Honolulu and the buses are crowded and the streets are filled with tourists. But, the Hawaiians are still friendly. Although they get disturb by tourists all the time and their space is crowded, they are still very friendly and very welcoming to tourists.

Is it because they have the "hang loose" mentality? The island people are all smiles and very helpful to tourists. If you get lost, and ask for directions, they don't treat you like crap.

Just a thought for the day.

Remember 220V/50Hz Voltage

by Jim70563

You know, it always surprise me when I hear a tale from one of my esteemed countrymen who has decided to travel to Europe with his or her trusty "Cannot live without it" appliance from home. Some even know they need an adapter to plug it in to the "Foreign" outlets.

Good, so far.

But I am floored by the large amount of folks that seem to be unaware that most of the planet is not using 110-120V/60Hz. power. I would pay cash to see the look on their faces when their appliance goes "Poof".

PLEASE buy dual voltage appliances and adaptors. Or simply buy a nice local item when you get to your destination. They do have hair dryers in other places, seriously, they do ;-)

Comments