LG Tour Eiffel

153, rue de l'Universite, Paris, 75007, France

More about Paris

Avenue de la Grande Armee from the ArcAvenue de la Grande Armee from the Arc

Winter setting in!Winter setting in!

Map of the garden, the route I walked.Map of the garden, the route I walked.

Porte Dauphine, Paris, France 2009Porte Dauphine, Paris, France 2009

Latin Quarter Street Markets?

by humpbo

My husband and I are returning to Paris in 2 weeks and I am trying to find the small street market we shopped at last year. We were on a L'Open Hop on Hop off blue bus and just happened upon this Thursday market. When we returned to our lodging the host said this area we were in was called the "university" area; I believe we were in the Latin Quarter. I know we were near a McDonald's since we went there after shopping. Does anyone know of a street market in this area that operates on Thursday and Saturday only? I would REALLY appreciate your help!

by mariev

It sounds like the marché Maubert, place Maubert in the 5th (near the Sorbonne university)

by humpbo

Mariev thank you so much for the help. I am going to look up that market and see if it may be the one. My husband just told me I was wrong about the McDonal's, he said we eat there after going to the Museum of Natural History.

by rexvaughan

This may not be it, but it is a wonderful market in the 6th: March ru de Buci. We stopped there and only bought fresh fruit but it was wonderful. You can check them at:

by jerry786

Yes, the market is in the 5th on Blvd St Germain at Carmes at the Maubert metro station. The McDonalds is at the corner of St Germain and St Michel, which is a few blocks away. Au revoir.

by pfsmalo

Hi Rex,
Marché de Buci is a good one, in fact open every day, problem is you wouldn't get a bus down there when the market is on. ^_^.

Travel Tips for Paris

Remembering my first night in Paris

by Carmanah

It's funny looking back on my first moments in Paris. I remember being in our tour bus driving from the Charles de Gaule Airport to our Fimotel downtown, and passing by urban parks where older men were playing Bocci. I vididly remember the poster poles on the street corners, and looking out my hotel window to find a Chinese restaurant, which is not at all what I was expecting to see.

Later on that night in the dark we were driven to a casual French bistro nearby. Because all of our dinners were pre-ordered by our teachers, none of us had a say in what we wanted to eat. Our choice was basically vegetarian, or non-vegetarian. Most of us ordered the non-vegetarian meal even though we had no idea what it was.

Well, our dinner turned out to be steak frites and green beans. How very French, I suppose! At the time none of us realized the cultural significance of our meal and in fact hardly ate it. Unlike at home, the restaurant never asked any of us how we'd like our steak done, and as a result, they were all sent to our table completely rare! Perhaps teenagers in France aren't picky eaters, but the sight of the bloody beef sickened us Canadian teens to the point where we could barely eat it! I felt bad for the restaurant, because we ate our fries and our beans, but they must have gotten 30 barely-eaten rare steaks sent back that night. What a waste!

Spectacular views

by ettenaj

Everywhere you go in Paris you are certain to find a spectacular view, one of the finest for me ( as I am affraid of heights ) is from in front of the Sacre Coere, you can see all over the city and its not a bit scary. We went out of season so there were not too many tourists around.

Versailles

One of the most...

by benzerga

Versailles

One of the most visited monuments in France, amongst the three most visited, is the Palace of Versailles. Wanting to escape the busy life in Paris, and to keep the nobility under his control, Louis XIV built this chateau in which he set up home and installed the government. Louis Le Vau was commissioned to renovate and extend an old hunting lodge, Le Notre created the gardens from swamp land, and Mansart masterminded the hydraulic display of the fountains.

Walking the dog

by Emke

Ann's favourite activity in Paris was walking the dog. The dog liked her a lot and kept walking behind her. I think that;s because she brought a lot of braafbrokjes with her.

Walking the dog is a local custom in Paris: you see this funny minidogs everywhere!

Bring a prop and work it!

by anacapa

I suggest ditching the t-shirt for something w/ buttons. Add a little bit of style when travelling, especially in Europe. When will you be back? You want your future grandkids to see you stylin' back in the day... Or when you're showing your new girlfriend/boyfriend your photos from Europe you don't want to look like a dweeb in a t-shirt. Bring a prop to photograph on your trip! Act like a model or a rock star. (just don't trash your hotel room)

I brought a purse a friend designed with me to Paris. I promised her I'd take photos of it in and around Paris for her marketing purposes. I had one day in Paris with friends from Berlin before we all split up. I got some amazing photos and memories from that one day because of the purse and the goal of modelling it in Paris. My friends got into the game and kept suggesting photos. It made taking photos feel less like a touristy thing and more like a game. We had fun with the photos and the results are better photos than what we might normally have taken. That translates into some great documentation of a great time. I highly suggest it!!

Comments