La Demeure

Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about La Demeure

A Charming Hotel in the REAL city

My friend and I loved the Hotel La Demeure. The service was everything we could have asked for and graciously given as well. We had a rather unusual schedule (in and the out of Paris a couple of times) and the La Demeure staff was extremely helpful. La Demeure is somewhat "off the beaten track" but for us, that's a plus. It's only a 15 minute walk to Notre Dame and there's a lot to see in this "non-touristy" section of Paris...like, for example, a "real" city. Don't miss the Jardin des Plantes in the mornings and the neighborhood shops and restaurants.

Good hotel but bad location

Went to paris in September 2005 with my wife and we loved it. Great weather, great food and great people. This hotel, although clean and attractive has one quality that ----. It is not in the Latin Quarter in the center of the action as they advertise but rather in Les Gobelins which in an out of the way suburban area. The area to stay in is San Michel, that's where there is lots of restaurants, bars and shopping and close to all the sites.

A good option near the latin quarter

by TripAdvisor Member Oldsuit

We stayed here for three nights on the sixth floor, so the view was great. The room was of the busy Boulevard but as there is air conditioning there was no need to open the window. The room was good value for its size in Paris, and the staff were very helpful and friendly. Got a good deal of the hotels own internet site. Situation wise, it is a nice walk to Notre Dame, perhaps 20-25 mins by foot, and it on the edge of the latin quarter. Paris being the size it is, plenty of great places, eg Jardin de Lux. are within walking distance.

Our Stay at La Demeure in Paris

by TripAdvisor Member Fleur111

My husband and I stayed at La Demeure one night for our honeymoon. I was really impressed with La Demeure. The entrance and lobby were beautiful! The staff was friendly and let us check in slightly early as our flight had us arriving in Paris just before the 1pm check-in time. The lift to our 6th floor room was so small only one of us could go up at a time with our bags in tow. The room also was pretty small, but I expected this and was not shocked. The bathroom was clean, roomy and had an amazing view of the Eiffel Tower and the Sorbonne. The little shower gel and shampoo the hotel provided smelled so nice! Although the room was small, it was really comfortable and the big windows opened it up a bit.
We loved the neighborhood where the hotel was located. It was in the 13th arrondisement, but right on the edge of the hip Latin Quarter with brasseries, cafes, an outdoor market and a 5 minute walk to the popular Rue Mouffetard, which provided us with late night kebabs and crepes after we woke up from our nap at 11pm!
La Demeure was a lovely, romantic and comfortable accomodation. The breakfast was a little pricey, but it was convenient for an early morning meal. We would definately stay there again for a special occasion.

A charming dump !

by TripAdvisor Member emma&simon

Room 6 - 1st floor.

We arrived at La Demeure to a friendly welcome, the staff seemed helpful and pleasant.

We were told we would be receiving a’ corner room' with excellent views of Paris! It all sounded good as the views are highly commended in the 'TimeOut' guide.

However on arriving in the room, we found it to be dingy, dark with horrible dated orange wallpaper, with a reddish pink ceiling. The view seemed to be a crossroads, with a Toyota dealer on it! Hardly a view to write home about. On the plus side the room was quite large, and warm.

According to 'TimeOut' guide the bathroom promised to be 'a luxurious treat with massage possibilities!' However the shower leaked (alot!) and the toilet seat was broken. When the shower problem was mentioned to reception, the friendliness deteriorated, with the response being 'there is nothing I can do about it'.

In the morning we were rushed out by cleaners at 8am, so no chance of a lie-in. We went to the breakfast (can be charged at €14) that was a continental buffet that consisted of: Stale bread, pre-packed cheese, dry pastries, and a couple of croissants. The breakfast was exactly the same every morning, except one day they ran out of orange and croissants!! When asked they apologised but said 'there is nothing we can do about it'.

On the day we returned to the hotel to a broken curtain pole (done by the cleaners) and shortly after the light bulb blew! This pretty much summed up our stay!

I wouldn't stay again, and believe you could find better for the money.

A wonderful place, will stay there again.

by TripAdvisor Member Patricia_Wells

This is a absolute find for Paris. A wonderful charming hotel, with atypically large rooms for Paris. Appointed with modern amenities not always found in Parisian hotel rooms. (For the uninitiated Americans reading, rooms in Paris typically are much smaller than what they build in America. So get over it, and have fun.)

These rooms however, are quite spacious for Paris,and beautifully appointed and decorated. The room design reminds me of the W hotel or the Standard in Los Angeles, somewhat modern with soul. It also has a beautifully decorated lobby and lounge. The breakfast is fresh and tasty, and their teas are fantastic.

It is in a location that couldn't be better, giving one a real sense of Parisian life, and not the touristy version. There are many places to eat, get groceries, and do laundry nearby. Two subway stops of equal distance, many bus stops nearby. One can get anywhere with ease.

On a personal note, I sprained my ankle while sight seeing, and when my Husband mentioned it to the owner, he was a former Orthopedic Therapist. He went out with my Husband to purchase bandages, and wrapped my ankle so I could continue touring Paris. He charged nothing for this, and checked on my ankle daily.
(I want to reiterate that I did not sprain my ankle anywhere on the premises of the hotel, but he was still very concerned and helpful.) Both owners, Father and Son, are a great joy to get to know.

When we return to Paris, we will always stay here. Our home away from home.

One of the best hotels I've ever stayed in

This is an excellent family run hotel in the 13th arrondissement. We stayed in room 39 on the 4th floor which had a view of the Eiffel Tower (well the top section anyway!). The room itself was very clean and well decorated with no sign of the floral patterns that seem to be the standard for Paris hotels. The bathroom was an OK size with free herbal shower gels and a very cool triple jet massage shower - perfect for soothing aching muscles after a hard day of sightseeing. Hotel staff all spoke very good English and were very friendly. I'm sure they would have been more than helpful had we had any problems.

The hotel is on quite a busy street but the double glazing blocked out 99% of the noise. The neighbourhood was fairly residential which meant that we actually got to mix with the locals rather than being surrounded by other tourists all the time. There were 2 metro stations, a supermarket, as well as a number of boulangeries and restaurants, all within 5 minutes walking distance.

Other Pros: On a direct metro line from Gare Du Nord. Air conditioning (we didn't need it much but if you're planning on coming to Paris during July or August then you'll probably want AC!)

PS Don't pay the standard rate! We got an internet deal from the hotels own website and they also do last minute rates (max 2 days in advance) for 85 euros.

Personal touch

My daughter and I had a lovely stay at this hotel. The room was comfortable, the staff happy and the metro stations very handy. I really enjoyed never having to tell the reception staff our room number as they reached for the key as we approached. Trips were confirmed for us without us having to ask, maps provided, taxis rung and great shopping advice given. I think the level of interest shown and the trouble taken by the people running this hotel elevates it from good to great.

Great little hotel

What a great little hotel! We loved it. We had an awesome view of the Eiffel Tower and the rooftops of paris from our room. Modern, clean friendly hotel.
Highly reccommended!

House boats on the Seine, ParisHouse boats on the Seine, Paris

The Dome (Inside)The Dome (Inside)

Musee d'OrsayMusee d'Orsay

"Ze clock iss kaput.""Ze clock iss kaput."

SIM Card

by msocolin

Hi! I will be in Paris and then in Italy starting next week. I was wondering if it is possible to buy a SIM Card for a cell phone that I will be taking from Argentina. If so, could you tell me which company I should buy and where to get it?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Matías

by Ritchie_Lionheart

Matias,
First: you need a cell phone that is not SIM-blocked.
Second: you can buy SIM-Cards at newsstands (kiosque) anywhere in France, but it will work for 3-5 days only, unless you register it. It is easy to register, just fill in the form that accompanies the SIM-Card and send it off by post. If you do this on the day of purchase, there is no risk of interruption.
Richard

by nhoolb

And third: you have to make sure that your (Argentinian) cell phone is tri/quad band as the GSM frequencies of Argentina (850/1900) are different than those used in Europe (900/1800).

by qzaman

And fourth...:), it will cost around Euro 30 for a sim card. Then you have to buy a phone card to make calls. In my opinion, its cheaper to buy a phone card and use the pay phones..... your choice.

by nhoolb

Re fourth: depends. If you (only) want to be able to be reached/contacted by the family/friends at home (calls, SMS), a local SIM card is useful.

Comments