Le Clos d'Alesia

Le Palais des Congrès de ParisLe Palais des Congrès de Paris

74 gun vessel 1750 - detail74 gun vessel 1750 - detail

here showing the Last Supperhere showing the Last Supper

Catacombes of ParisCatacombes of Paris

The Absolute cheapest way to fly to Europe!!!

by jmsgirl

Hello! I need your help! My fiancee and I are hoping to travel to Italy for our Honeymoon in June 2010. We are both students and we are paying for the honeymoon and wedding ourselves.

I need to know the cheapest way to fly from the United State to Europe...any where in Europe! We can get a train pass and travel to Italy from wherever we land in Europe :)

Thank you!!

Teresa

by cubsur

That's a rather vague question!

Which part of Italy are you headed for? It's a big country. Or are you planning to tour around?

I think you might be making a false economy in trying to go to 'anywhere in Europe' as you then have a long train journey ahead of you. It is often much less expensive in Europe between certain cities to use one of the low-cost airlines rather than the train.

And from where in the USA? Many of your cities have direct flights to Rome and Milan and I cannot believe the cost would be a huge amount less than say flying to London, Paris, Geneva, etc.

by jmsgirl

I apologize that my question was so vague. My fiancee and I would like to take a train and travel around Europe anyway, so I was not just assuming that would be the best solution. We certainly want to go to Rome at some point, but our main obstacle is just getting to Europe for less than $1000... Thank you so much!

by leanneedwards

I always use Expedia.ca you can use expedia.com... then I change the destination to see what the rates are like... I did for you on .ca (Canadian $)
Toledo to Dusseldorf germany it was approx 1450.00 from the 13 of june to the 29th a guess... to Rome was about the same.. I then would go directly to the airline and see if they have a better deal... Good luck!!

by GracesTrips

Well, there are tons of flights going to Frankfurt so you might be able to score a cheap ticket traveling there. Italy is quite a distance from Paris. Not sure what the distance is by train but still think Frankfurt is the better option.

by leanneedwards

I dont know Pedmar the prices have really gone up even in the spring you are looking at 980.00 or around 1000.00 I have been researching for months unless you hit that day of a sale!!

by leanneedwards

Yes last year the prices were o.k. we booked my Mom a flight from Seattle to Dusseldorf for 680.00 in April... I have been looking almost every day and the price is stuck at 1079... I know the luck thing a flight to Tokyo in October return to Vancouver was only 686.00 you never know.. I just keep them saved and watch to see if they change...

Travel Tips for Paris

Don't schedule yourself too...

by Leah9

Don't schedule yourself too much. Give yourself a chance to wander around and discover things. There are many. One was the Montparnasse cemetary. I know a lot of people like to visit Jim Morrison's grave, but if you're just going to one cemetary, Montparnasse is amazing. Man Ray, Sarte, Ionesco, Beckett, and other excellent weirdos are buried there.

Paris Tip

by Shee

So many memories: Sitting in the sun on the steps of the Opera eating lunch (a baguette, of course).
Strolling along the banks of the canal.
Watching the all night partying on the streets when France reached the final of the World Cup and watching the matches on the big screen at the Trocadero and Hotel de Ville, and I don't even like football!

Dalidaaaaaa

by Lilasel

Glittering diva - Dalida (Yolanda Gigliotti) - has spent 25 years in the heart of Monmartre (11 bis Rue d'Orchampt ). As a tribute to her talent, Paris offered her a Square Dalida in the very heart of Montmartre. There Dalida stands enthroned in the middle of this place which inspires peace and serenity...

Elegance & correctness

by Norali

Style & allure are taken seriously in Paris. Not really fashion. It's about effortless chic. When you look at Parisian women, they seem to favour a low maintenance style. That's a misconception. It is all but low maintenance. The key is to look not overdone & to find one's own style. As a woman, I know it takes thorough studies of oneself (as a whole) to know what suits one best. Be it the make-up, the length of a skirt, the cut of trousers, the vest, the hair...

Now, why do they want to sport this effortless chic ? I guess mostly, because of a culture that serves as a pattern. How can you not be inspired when long surrounded by arts, beauty yourself. I think they do it for correctness sake as well. Although I've noticed French women don't really wear a piece of cloth to please the crowd (they do it for them!), I think I'm right saying that they have this culture of wearing a look that is correct to show to the "other" (even at supermarkets). It's not hypocrisy, rather relates to "seduction".

It's correct to get out with a bit of make-up. What do I say ? It's polite. At least the lips, classical red lips, gloss or their favourite "beige rosé" for a nude look. But you don't have to wear foundation (overdone risk), probably a loose powder. Now, when a young Parisian wears lipstick, she would add a blush & mascara.. but that can be all.
Jewels: elegant women would wear earring & ring even on jeans... but again, in a style that matches casual wear.
Scarf: it's not an old lady stuff here. It's not unusual to notice a silk scarf over jeans in Paris. Can be even with a pearl necklace, on a bag (Hermès or sthg else).

I admire Parisians for this ability to wear décalé. Typically, it is to wear a Chanel tweed vest (posh & ladylike), a T-shirt (casual), jeans (casual) & pearl necklace (ladylike) & canvas sneakers. But whatever the style, confidence gained through self-conciousness is the key.

For me, they use the trends & their creativity to serve their sense of themselves & style. That makes them pleasant to watch.

Bicycle Tour of Paris : Why not rent a bike?

by roadeagl

I didn't believe it but there is a "road less taken" in the middle of Paris. We rented bikes from Bike About Tours [www.bikeabouttours.com] in Paris and had a fantastic time, working our way into tiny backstreets and courtyards as well as cruising to the more popular sights of the city. We met Paul, the co-owner, at Notre Dame and hiked to his headquarters a few blocks away to get our bikes. Paul boasts at having the only bike rental shop in an underground parking garage and our first challenge was climbing the hill out of the garage, which Paul promised would be our only hill on the ride. Paul keeps the group at 15 people to minimize crashes [just kidding about the crashes] and gives us a safety lecture at the start. The tour spans ~4 hours including a light lunch stop at a bakery. We went to a flea market so obscure nobody could possibly find their way there; wondered if they ever sold anything. At the end of the tour, Paul passed out a 2-page list of more places to explore and we enjoyed visiting several on our own afterward. Highly recommended way to spend the day and 30 euros.

Comments