Le Compostelle Le Marais

Satisfaction Average

More about Paris

Musee D'OrsayMusee D'Orsay

Tuileries Gardens, sculptureTuileries Gardens, sculpture

artist with my head!artist with my head!

Artwork and Chez EugeneArtwork and Chez Eugene

safe way to cross the road(s) seperating Bagnolet from the centre?

Hi,
I arrive with the Eurolines bus at Gallieni metro with two young teenagers on Monday.
Unfortunately the bus stops just outside zone 2 which means we have to use two metro tickets each (so I've heard)to get into zone 1 and our appartment. Just by crossing the road and using Port du Bagnolet metro instead of Gallieni we can avoid this. It's just that the road looks horrific!
The map sites seem to show that the roads (Avenue Ibsen etc) can be crossed using the flyover! I'd prefer not to do this...
Where is the best place to cross?
OK. It only means saving a few euro, but we can use our savings to get a 'free' trip on the metro if we can just cross that road!
Sarah

by goodfish

You know, I just took a look at Port du Bagnolet on google satellite view and could see clearly crosswalks indicated on all sides of it so I can't imagine you'll have any issues.

Just so I'm clear: it IS crossing the roundabout at Port du Bagnolet to one of the other sides you're concerned about?

by mariev

As for the metro, you need only one ticket per person and per journey (as long as you don't exit the system) (the ticket covers zone 1-2)

by pfsmalo

Mariev is completely right,there is no problem with taking the metro at Gallieni, only need one ticket p.p.

by joenix

No, I meant I arrive at the metro station Gallieni and want to get across the group of roads and flyovers where roads such as the Avenue Cartellier and Avenue Ibsen are. Right on the eastern edge of town.
Then we can just walk into town if we want or get the metro at Port de Bagnolet.
In other words how easy is it to walk (and cross roads) from Gallieni to Port de Bagnolet.
Thanks

by joenix

Forgot to say...this is with the idea that Gallieni isn't counted as being in zones 1 and 2. On the metro maps it's showed as being in a darker colour meaning it's in zone 3?
But we'll probably walk anyway if the weather's good as our appartment isn't too far from Pere Lachaise. It's getting across that road I'm worried about.

by goodfish

Nice work, Pedmar - I misinterpreted the original question.

by pfsmalo

Sorry Kate and Pedro, but his new take on the original post seems to have nothing to do with the metro at all, he seems to want to cross from Gallieni into Paris via the tunnels or whatever there is under the 'Periph and then carry on walking down to his hotel naear Pere Lachaise. I really don't know how the road is there so can't advise.

by pfsmalo

Quite agree Pedro, much safer to do it that way and time saving.

by joenix

thanks for all your help!
because gallieni is outside the 'light yellow' zone on the metro maps i thought it was in zone 3. which makes a trip between 1 and 3 cost, according to the website, two t+ tickets per person.
now i see gallieni is in zone 2, which means we only have to supply one ticket each. my thought was that i cut out the extra ticket by either walking to the nearest metro inside the periphery road, or just walk.
now i see that getting to the other side of the road isn't an easy option, and that the cost of the metro doesn't change because we leave from gallieni. so we'll just take the metro to the appartment.
thank you all VERY much!
btw i'm a 'she'!
sarah

ok! we're back.
it would have been near impossible to cross that road. so we got the metro tickets and just got on the tube. it definitely doesn't cost extra because gallieni's in the dark yellow bit of the map, if anyone's interested! and we had a brilliant time!!! friendly, safe, and loads to do. and eat.

Travel Tips for Paris

The Good Life

by aflaneur

On a sunny Sunday, pick up a freshly-made sandwich and take yourself to the Luxemborg Garden to join Parisians in a quintessential relaxing Sunday of people-watching. Pretending to be reading is the perfect crime. Standing in the middle of Pont Neuf as soon as I arrive and the last thing before departure, just taking it all in.

Paris Tip

by cincin

I found parisians very friendly and helpful. Most of them do speak a bit English, but I think it'd be helpful if you learn some simple french to start up the conversation. Show your effort and respect their culture.

City of Lights

by Imbi

Strolling around Paris at night with all the bridges and major monuments lit up makes you believe that Paris is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. I was out walking one night and came upon this scene along the Seine. A band had set up with mics, amps and speakers and was entertaining the gathered crowd with very good renditions of Hendrix tunes. Notre Dame was illuminated in the background, the moon was overhead.

15% Service Compris

by Carmela71

Check in your ticket if the 15% Service Compris is written there, that means that you do not have to leave a tip.

But if you found that service was great, is up to you!

At the beginning we were a little surprised as we had a total and the VAT (IVA) after it, so we did not know if it was already included, and the answer is YES is it was included.....

What's this guy doing?

by spgood301

Did you know that you can rappel down the Eiffel Tower? Well, this guy was doing it anyway. Some rope. A bunch of those pulley things. A helmet.

And, oh yeah, a permit from the authorities would be a good thing too. =)

Comments