Le Grand Hotel Des Gobelins

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Le Grand Hotel Des Gobelins

Nice little hotel

by TripAdvisor Member sheri723

We spent 6 nights this past May at Le Grand Hotel des Gobelins. The front desk staff were very helpful and spoke excellent English. The rest of the staff do not speak English. Our room was on the 5th floor, facing the street. Noise was not a problem, as long as the windows were closed. Because there is NO air conditioning we occasionally had to cool the room by opening the windows. I would not stay here in the summer, for that reason. The bathroom appeared to be newly remodeled. We only had a very very small shower stall (no tub). It was difficult to get in and out of (we had to turn sideways), but it was immaculate. I thought the breakfast was delicous but if it hadn't been included in our package, I would have just stopped in a pasterie shop. You have to get to the breakfast room early or you will be eating on top of strangers. You can't walk a block without seeing one. Safe neighborhood, close to metro, but a very long walk to any attractions.
It was almost a 35 minute walk from Port Royal train station, which we rode to and from CDG airport. I think the fare was around 16 euros each way pp (much cheaper than a Taxi). Overall this hotel is a good value for Paris.

Les Gobelins is above average ... but

by TripAdvisor Member ianmac

For a three star hotel, Le Grand Hotel Des Gobelins delivers value for money ... and then a bit extra!
I visited the hotel at the beginning of July along with my Canadian cousin and her daughter.
I chose the hotel after reading Tripadvisor reviews and I wasn't disappointed.
Housekeeping was excellent with fresh towels daily and toiletries topped up during my four day stay.
I had a single room on the top floor which I believe is the only floor with air conditioning. It was worth the extra cash at a time when the temperature was in the 30's.
The hotel is in a great location near the bottom of the Rue Mouffetard and if you enjoy walking, it's a pleasant stroll to the Seine and all the river has to offer around the Ile de la Cite. But bus and metro services are also on the doorstep.
Jeanmarc, on reception every morning during our stay, was a revelation in a City where hotel staff can often be surly. He added colour and genuine warmth.
On a cautionary note: I had booked the hotel from the UK using my credit card.
My Cousin, however, decided that she was paying for the stay and settled what she thought was the full bill when we left.
Imagine my surprise therefore when my credit card was debited for a night's stay for two rooms.
The Hotel (Jeanmarc) explained in a telephone call that the first night would automatically come off the credit card used for the initial booking and that my cousin was charged only for the remaining nights.
I have no intention of asking her what she paid since that would be the height of bad manners, so I hope the hotel is as good as it's word.

Small, cheap but great

by TripAdvisor Member JFrancois

We stayed 10 nights in May 2006 at this hotel. The staff is very friendly and available to all your needs. The hotel is located in the 13th, just a foot walk from the latin quarter and the Mouffetard street. It's also near the Gobelins metro station (by the way, use the subway, it's amazing and very easy to navigate).
****No air conditionning so maybe it's better to not go there during the summer period.
JF
Montreal, Canada

A good value, middle-of-the road hotel

This hotel is good value for money. Location is good, although it's on a large wide street that doesn't have a lot of character. The metro is handy and a safe walk (either St Marcel or Gobelins as I recall. If you need to get to the Gare de Lyon, just take the bus that goes along Avenue St Marcel (the no 91 I think) - much nicer than the metro in my vview - and it goes direct so no need to change/schlepp bags through turnstiles) there are plenty of good patisseries around and a useful close supermarket.

The room was fine, the bathroom outstanding - huge clean and newly renovated I reckon. The windows block out the noise from the busy road no problems. We didn't have a great view - justt over the street but sounds from other reviews that it's worth asking for a view wehn you book. Staff fine and helpful. Breakfast room ridiculously small as others have said - with the result that the women working there are cranky - I would be too! The hotel should really extend the room or insist on multiple "sittings" for breakfast! A nice eating place close by is the Maroccan/couscous restaurant just along the road - can't remember the name - but the tajines were delicious and the price ok.

Very clean!

by TripAdvisor Member komytee

PROs:
- Very clean and above average bathroom.
- Clean room.
- Very near the Les Gobelins metro station.
- The buffet-breakfast is nice as well. Fresh stuff.
- My room had a view on the Eiffeltower, which was a nice surprise!
- Friendly staff, but I didn't have any troubles in my room, so I don't know wheter they are still friendly when something needs to be fixed in your room.
- A super market just around the corner. Some nice little restaurants as well (especially Pizza Cesar, try that one!).

CONs:
- My bed was a bit average, I've had better, although I slept well on it.
- Not really a con, but my room was a bit small. But hey, that's Paris for you.

My room was facing the street, but the traffic noise didn't bother me (as I was on the 5th floor). It might be a problem for light sleepers on lower floors.
Overall a very pleasant stay, I would definately stay here again.

What a Lovely Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member woofweef

We stayed here in May 2006 - great! Just around the corner from the metro in a quiet area which nevertheless is so close to the sights. The wonderful bathroom and its bathtub were a delight after a days sightseeing! Quiet, comfortable room, friendly, helpful staff, decent, relaxed breakfast.
Will definitely stay here again - just need to find another reason to visit Paris!!

Can't wait to return!

I stayed in one room with 2 other people and we had ample space. The room was "Europeon" and smaller than American hotel rooms, but there is so much to see, you're really only there to sleep! Our room was on the front of the building with a great view of the busy street. The staff was very friendly and helpful with directions and so forth. The room was large enough for 3 people. The bathroom was spa-like and was a great place for relaxation in the soaking tub. It was convienient for the toliet to be located in a seperate "closet" from the bathroom, especially with three people in one room. The breakfast was fresh and there was a great selection of foods. The Metro was super close and easy to navigate. The restaurants around the hotel were also great, especially, La Canerie. I loved this hotel, and will certainly return. I will not even consider another location when I return to Paris. I highly reccomend this hotel based on the cost, service, and location. Bon jour!

brilliant

by TripAdvisor Member steveeboy

Booked atrip on the Eurostar to Paris and booked this hotel for it's conveniebnt location. We were not dissappointed. The front desk staff were very helpful and informative. The room was immaculately clean and comfortable. We would have no hesitation in recomending this hotel. We are going back again this year.

Great Hotel and Lovely Area

by TripAdvisor Member Kat1790

Rooms were an adequate size and very clean, the bathroom was immaculate. Lovely, helpful staff. Good transport links with two metro lines near by and a bus stop outside for the brave!

It's only a short walk to the Latin Quarter and the charming Rue Mouftarde food market. Its well worth exploring the area around the hotel after the hustle and bustle of central Paris this was a really relaxing area to spend the evening.

Anyone know about Le Grand Hotel Des Gobelins or the surronding area

by lele100

We will be in paris on April 3rd, I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about this hotel, or if the area is nice?

RE: Anyone know about Le Grand Hotel Des Gobelins or the surronding area

by Beausoleil

Hi. We haven't stayed at that hotel, but it got good reviews on Trip Advisor. We've stayed in the area and while it isn't right in the middle of things, it is easy enough to get there. You are very close to a Metro station. The area is very nice and there are lots of pleasant restaurants nearby. It's a bit out of the tourist path so less frantic. We enjoyed it.

Check the reviews at http://www.tripadvisor.com

Comments