6, rue Saint Placide, Paris, 75006, France

From the LouvreFrom the Louvre

Pont Alexandre IIIPont Alexandre III

Negotiating lodging prices

by emmweb

We just saw on a Travel Channel show last night about Paris that it was ok to negotiate prices for a hotel room. I would not have expected that. If true, is it also acceptable to negotiate when renting an apartment for a week's vacation?

Thanks!
Erin

by leics

You can always ask for a reduction, of course. Nothing to stop you doing so.

But don't expect your request to be successful.

by Martinewezel

I think it's very unusual to negociate about lodging prices anywhere in France and in most European countries. On the other hand... habits can change, so why not starting?
Keep us informed ;-)

by lifeisatrip

We have always booked online and it is not possible to ask for a discount. I don't see how that could be done. Maybe if you are booking right then and there, having a face-to-face dealing with the hotel receptionist. Or call the hotel/apartment to personally speak with a person.

by cgf

Through some "channel" you can get very good discount, how much it depends how many rooms, location, season and weekedays or not...

...once I saw some prices for rooms/hotel in Paris, they were very interesting prices, almost half price but minum 4 rooms each night and for Tour Operator only.

by Beausoleil

When we are staying for a longer time, we always ask for a lower price. We nearly always get it. If you are just going for a few days, I'd be surprised unless it is out of season and they have empty rooms. It never hurts to ask because if you don't ask, you won't get a reduction.

Another thing we do is check several different sources on the Internet to see who has the lowest prices. Often the hotel web site will have special Internet rates that are very good. It pays to do your research.

Travel Tips for Paris

You absolutely must visit the...

by calex

You absolutely must visit the louvre, especially if you appriciate fine art...you may never get the chance again. hanging out with my friends by the seine river, playing guitar and drinking wine (which is really cheap in Paris)

Arc de Triumph

by CandS

Make sure you climb to the top of the Arc de Triumph it not only gives a great view of Paris (including the Eiffel Tower) but you can also watch the cars on the roundabout below!

It is scary to see those cars, buses and bikes driving around...they are totally MAD! :) I could have stayed there and watched them for hours, if we hadn't had so many other things to go and see... :)

Livraisons

by Nemorino

Deliveries are a necessary part of urban life, and it's hard to get angry at the poor delivery people who are just doing their job. But they do mess things up when they block the bike and/or bus lanes, even though in some streets (clearly signposted) it is legal for them to stop at certain times of day.

Here in rue Saint-Jacques in the Latin Quarter (which otherwise is a beautiful street, by the way) this delivery van slowed bicycle traffic to a crawl while we all tried to squeeze our way through between the van and the lane of cars to the left.

Cultural Differences: Hasidic Jews in Paris

by BeatChick

Living in Cincinnati where there's not a huge amalgamation of the population has me curious about other cultures. I suppose if I lived in NYC I'd be immune to such intense fascination.

In any case, I was out one Sunday morning leaving the Marais (which is the historical center for Jewish population in Paris) heading to the Île St Louis. While I was crossing the Pont Louis Philippe, I noticed a small group of Hasidic Jews ahead of me, their Hasidism (or Chasidism) indicated by their hats, the curls down the sides of their faces & their traditional garb. I didn't want to embarrass them so I hung back a little & took a photo as it was just thrilling to see them - so very cool.

In college I took a sociology class called The Community which focused on unusual groups such as the Amish, the Hutterites, the Gypsies (Rom), the Shakers, the Mormons, the COG (Children of God). Since then, I've loved reading about unique cultures & religions. This was the first time I'd seen Hasidim in person. I hope I was not rude in taking a photo. But if any Hasidic Jews are out there reading this please be assured it was only done out of my love for different cultures and my enthrallment with anything new & out of the ordinary (from my usual spectrum of experiences).

The (badly-executed) photograph I share with you!

Photo: April 2003

Rest In Peace...

by mplstall

Pere LaChaise Cemetiere. The cemetery is sparawling and a historian paradise. From Rossini to Seurat, Morrison to the unknown, it is filled with the crypts and final resting place for the Ex Patriots and French families.
Expect to take time here, as it is fascinating and the mausoleums as decorative as some of the french buildings in the city. Walk and observe- It is a place I never thought would be as facinating as it was....

Comments