Le Village Hostel

School Holidays Budget Travel Backpacking
See Amenities

Great Place to stay in Paris

by written on February 2, 2008

Great place to stay in the beautiful Montmartre!! It was very clean - had a great patio to meet fellow guests. :) The staff was very friendly - and it was only a short walk to both the metro and beautiful Sacre Coeur. Highly recommend.

Unique Quality: Great views of Sacre Coeur!!

BeatChick's Profile Photo

Fab Locale for a Youth Hostel

by written on September 8, 2007

For 8 days (Feb 2006) I stayed at Le Village in Montmartre. I’d never stayed in a youth hostel before, thought it would be an interesting experience & a good way to save some money. The principal draw was the internet access – the 30-minute internet cards bought at the front desk were 2.50€, not a bad price considering the convenience of having it downstairs with 24-hour access.

As I walked up rue Briquet (a little shortcut to bypass all the foot traffic on rue de Steinkerque) the most perfectly framed beautiful view of Sacré Cœur unexpectedly presented itself!

For 24€ you can stay in a dorm room which has 8 beds. During my time there I had Australians, Germans, Italians and Japanese as roomies. I made friends with Nori while staying there and one day we did our laundry together at a local laundromat.

The hostel is inexpensive and includes free continental breakfast. The breakfast is pretty decent (all the coffee, tea or hot chocolate you'd want plus a hard roll and a croissant), there's a communal fridge in the breakfast area and you can keep a few of your things in there (just write your name on the items); I stashed my yogurt there.

If you decide to stay at Le Village reserve well in advance. I saw many, many people turned away because they hoped to get a room by just showing up. It was usually filled to capacity (and this was in the February low season).

Things I didn't like:
1) staying in a dorm room with up to 7 other people (however, for 2 or 3 nights Nori & I had the place to ourselves)
2) worrying about waking people up when I came in late at night or getting up early the next days (man, most of those backpackers go to bed early - like 10pm - and get up late - like 9am)
3) worrying about using the hairdryer & waking people up
4) sharing a shower with others - I bought disinfectant shower spray
5) ick - the 1st night I found a COCKROACH in the bathroom - I told the mgmt about it & they promised to spray - I never saw another one after that so it could've crawled out of someone's suitcase.

Unique Quality: I generally travel solo & felt really safe at that youth hostel. The nice, friendly helpful global staff warmed up after a bit (I mean, they are so busy keeping the place clean and everyone happy). I befriended one guy from Brazil who is a HUGE cinéphile like me; we talked endlessly about film (one particularly memorable conversation was about Orson Welles & his contribution to modern cinema) and he showed me various movie theatre websites & helped me find a movie to go to after David Sedaris suggested I see one.

Across the street is a small grocery store called Ed where you can stock up on inexpensive bottled water, cheese, wine & yogurt plus sundries (shampoo, toothpaste, DISINFECTANT SHOWER SPRAY!).

If you're into fabrics, this street and surrounding streets are replete with fabric shops.

If you don't veer west of Place d'Anvers over into Pigalle or east into Barbes-Rochechouart you'll find yourself in a very safe & charming area. Get out at Anvers station - do NOT get out at Barbes-Rochechouart especially at night. The only time I've ever felt unsafe in all my trips to Paris was getting out at that latter station at night and walking back to the hostel.

Head north of the hostel to explore Montmartre.

Some rooms have views of Sacre Coeur!

Directions: Get out at Anvers station, walk north on rue Briquet, turn right onto rue d'Orsel and you'll find the hostel almost at the end of the block on the left-hand side next to a pizza place. If you reach rue Seveste you've gone too far.

Caritas's Profile Photo

Le Village hostel Paris: BED BUGS everywhere!!!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 31, 2007

Le village hostel is absolutly disgusting and the staff very rude. When my girlfriend told them that we had bed bugs on our bedding (she showed the guy her legs full of bites), he told her: "Don't disturb me for nothing. We are spraying sometimes. There's nothing much to do".
NO COMMENT.

Unique Quality: The only quality: this hostel is located in the area of Montmartre, which is the most gorgeous area in Paris. Montmartre is a safe area too, close to the Moulin Rouge and the sacre coeur.

kcrismier's Profile Photo

Best Hostel I've Seen Anywhere

by written on April 15, 2005

We stayed in Le Village Hostel for 4 days in June 2004 and we were highly impressed.

Unique Quality: Cozy, charming, small, non-institutional. Wood beamed ceilings. We got a room with 2 bunk beds and its own bathroom/shower. Our room had a view of the Sacre-Couer out the window! Less than 2 blocks from a metro. Breakfast included. Just great!

Chrisp7's Profile Photo

One of the best hostels in Paris!

by written on January 3, 2005

Having stayed in 5 different hostels in Paris over the past month and a half, I have to say this is one of the best. (I was looking for a flat if anyone was wondering!) It is clean, has a relaxed atmosphere and in a great location, Montmartre being a great place to explore.

Unique Quality: Theres a view of the Sacre Coeur from some of the rooms, really special at night. Theres also a terrace outside which will be very cool in the summer, however I was here in winter.

There is a cute little kitten now, v v cool!

Directions: 30 seconds walk from Anvers metro stop

bee77's Profile Photo

Prime location

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 1, 2004

On our way to the hostel, we lost the address but it was easy to find once we asked someone for the location. It is located at the corner, right next to a pizzaria and a block away from Le Sacre Coeur. It's also a couple minutes away from the Anvers metro stop. Great location.

Services. The gentleman at the desk was very nice and helpful. He greeted us and answered any questions we had.

We had to leave our key everytime we left the hostel as there was only one key per room and this was the only way we could access the room. If someone left with the key, then any other boarders could not enter the room.

Facilities. Good. We stayed in a 6 bed room with it's own toilet and shower, which was nice. The room was big and airy. Beds in decent conditions although we did see some blood on one of the mattresses. You can rent sheets from the hostel at 2.50 Euro.

They had a little bar downstairs and offered breakfast in the morning from 8a-10a. Did not try the breakfast, so cannot really comment.

I can recommend the hostel. It is affordable and located in a great area. It isn't that far way from the main tourist areas either by metro.

Unique Quality: The hostel is one block away from Sacre Coeur!!!

They have a resident black cat at the hostel. Most reviews I read stated their dislike of the cat. I was able to pet the cat.

Directions: Near the Anvers metro station

joits's Profile Photo

A great place to stay

by written on August 25, 2004

I was very impressed with this hostel. First of all, it was located very close to the Anvers metro station. Second of all, its located in near the Montmarte/Sacre Coeur area. Third, its clean.

I stayed in a six person dorm. Unlike other hostels which will have bathrooms or showers for the entire hostel, we had a bathroom and a shower just for our room.

As mentioned earlier, the rooms and bathrooms were clean. I had no complaints during my stay. I didn't really get to socialize with the other guests as we got back really late from sightseeing and we pretty much hit the sack after a shower. Then we left really early in the morning so there was no chance to talk.

The employees of the hostel are friendly and speak english. So no worries about meeting American-hating or so-called snobby French people at the hostel.

Although you make your reservations with a credit card, you need to have cash to pay for your rooms.

The hostel has a strict curfew of 2am, so make it back in time, no point in paying for the room and then not sleeping in it. there's also a lock-out between 11am to 4pm which means you won't have access to the rooms between those hours. If you happen to arrive for check in between those times, you can leave your luggage in the storage-type room and go sight-seeing.

MarcoPolo360's Profile Photo

Clean and comfortable

by written on July 13, 2003

Le Village Hostel is also at the foot of the Sacre Couer. Look at the view from my room.!!!!!! The bathrooms are clean and the whole place is safe. Has a very cozy atmosphere.
The staff is very friendly and speak english. Internet access available though a bit expensive. breakfast of baguettes and juice served every morning. They have a kitchen near the reception if you would like to cook your own food.

Unique Quality: Great views of the Sacre Couer from most rooms. Within walking distance of the Moulin Rouge and the pigalle district.

Directions: Montemarte district..short walk from the Anvers metro station

IceBear7's Profile Photo

The perfect View

by written on June 27, 2003

Nice little hostel with beautiful stairs!!! Old and squeeky, no step like the other. Our double room was quite small but ok, very clean, own bathroom with shower. Was cleaned every day.
Atmosphere is nice but a little weird compared to other hostels I've stayed at. Not much interaction between travellers.

The best is the view, from some rooms and also from the stairs: Sacre Coeur in all its splendour, like in a postcard! I wanted to take a picture every time I went up or down these stairs :-)

(scanned picture here will follow..)

Unique Quality: - Proximity to Sacre Coeur
- very clean
- 24 h reception
- supermarket just across the road (as well as dozens of souvenir shops)
- breakfast is included (very plain though, coffee, orange juice, baguette, jam)
- elevator
- doors are closed from 2 a.m.

Directions: Metro Anvers

wanderlust23's Profile Photo

The Village Hostel

by written on September 8, 2002

21 Euros

Unique Quality: The price is great. Only 21 Euros a night. The view is the best thing I've ever seen from a hotel, hostel, bed and breakfast, etc. I had a veiw of Sacre Coeur right out of my window! It was especially pretty at night, all lit up. No real facilities to speak of. No real frills, but the rooms were clean and include a bathroom in most rooms.
One thing to watch out for though, management there is really unorganized. They say you've got reservations, but you must pay for your next nights lodging before 10pm or you'll lose your room the next night.
Also, the rooms are co-ed. No real problem for me, but some of my fellow travellers were really surprised.
One last note, they don't take credit cards!

Directions: 20 rue d'Orsel
75018 PARIS

This hostel is located literally one block from the base of Sacre Coeur. It is in a touristy neighborhood right near Pigalle and the Moulin Rouge district. Don't worry tho

Nearby Le Village Hostel

• Pets Allowed
  • Free High Speed Internet
  • Kitchenette

Paris Travel Forum

Need advice about Paris, France? Visit the Travel Forum for Paris and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Paris hotel reviews