Lenox-montparnasse

Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs about the same, but rated 10% higher than other 3 star hotels

• davequ's Profile Photo

A good hotel in Montparnasse with air conditioning

This is another clean, comfortable, affordable and well-located 3-star hotel on rue Delambre in Montparnasse, just a few streets south of St. Germain and Jardin du Luxembourg.

Originally the historic Hotel des Ecoles, the Lenox has a comfortable lobby, a cozy private bar (I have visited on more than one occasion ... :P) - and all the usual comforts of the hotels on my favorite rue Delambre stroll.

The hotel staff in both lobby and bar have always been friendly, helpful, and professional with me whether I was staying there or at another hotel up the street.
    Hotel Lenox is also a WiFi hotspot with free Internet. As usual, EAT BREAKFAST / petit dejeuner ELSEWHERE at a cafe close by (e.g. Atelier or Select) not at the hotel.

Hotel Lenox is situated on my favorite rue Delambre, a charming and historic street in Montparnasse that is just a few steps from Dome, Rotunde, Rosebud - (one of my favorite little cocktail bars in Paris), Select, La Coupole, etc. all the great cafes & bistros of Montparnasse and Paris history, and a very short / pleasant stroll down Blvd Montparnasse to La Closerie des Lilas and then up north into Jardin du Luxembourg.

In 1921 when Man Ray's friend and Dadaist, Marcel Duchamp, left for New York, Man Ray set up his first studio at l'Hôtel des Ecoles at no. 15 rue Delambre (in room 37), which is now the Lenox Hotel. André Breton lived here also.

Many of the early surrealists in the 1920s (the "Mad Years" Années Folles) made the cafes and hotel studios of Montparnasse's rue Delambre their hangout and homes.

Check out the book: "Man Ray's Montparnasse" by Herbert R. Lottman for an excellent historical review on this great little section of Paris.
    Click here to see it
    ISBN: 0810943336

or even better, Kiki's Paris by Billy Kluver & Julie Martin - probably my favoite and one of the best photo-essay & historic books about Montparnasse in the period 1905 - 1930.

Hotel Lenox is within 1 street of metro stops Vavin (line 4) and Edgar Quinet (line 6), and just a 5 minute walk to either Gare Montparnasse or (RER B) Denfert-Rochereau - an excellent location that allows me to get to anywhere in Paris quickly, including CDG airport

Check out the hotel website, it has much information and pictures.
    Lenox Montparnasse

Unique Quality: Hotel Lenox Montparnasse is a very clean comfortable 3-star hotel with much history on rue Delambre, has air conditioning, at rates that special-offer between approx. 125-145 Euros/night (not a steal, but acceptable for Paris hotels). Excellent cafes and restaurants nearby at Place Picasso or Pl Fernand Mourlot.
    The small bar in the lobby is very comfortable and conventient.
    A historic Montparnasse location with 2 close Metro stops (Vavin & Edgar Quinet) and Gare Montparnasse.

Directions: Midway on rue Delambre between Blvd. Montparnass and Blvd Edgar Quinet.
    Metro: Vavin or Edgar Quinet

More about Lenox-montparnasse

Lenox Montparnasse Hotel - a jewel in southwest Paris

We stayed in this charming small hotel one week. It was fantastic! Located in southwest Paris, it's just one block to the Metro and bus line, small market, pharmacy, 4 small restaurants, which we thoroughly enjoyed. The Montparnasse black building offers the best view of Paris including the Eiffel Tower just 5 blocks away with a department store across the street. Being in a neighborhood setting, we felt safe returning on the Metro at 11pm and everybody we encountered in the area was so nice. Hotel staff extraordinaire! Julia and Catherine at front desk helped me with "French" for my bridal luncheon and marriage speeches! Very clean smaller room but adequate with nice bathroom. Airconditioning and delicious breakfast. Very quiet overlooking the courtyard. We booked it on online based on other reviews on this site. We were very pleased and definately will stay there again.

great stay at lenox

by TripAdvisor Member pj14

We stayed at the Hotel Lenox Montparnasse for 6 nights this July. We had a wonderful stay. The hotel staff was very accommodating and helped us with our transfer to the airport and kept our luggage safe while we took the TGV to Amsterdam for a couple of days. The hotel bar was great and the buffet breakfast was good. The rooms were very clean and having air conditioning in July was excellent!! The location was close to the metro Vavin stop and we had no trouble at all with noise in the rooms. We found it quite comfortable. We stayed on the 3rd floor with a courtyard view and when we returned from Amsterdam we stayed on the 4th floor with a street view. I have no hesistation at all recommending this hotel and will stay here again on return trips to Paris.

Wonderful find in an off-beat neighborhood

by TripAdvisor Member Bstrauss

I recently stayed at the Hotel Lenox Montparnasse for a business/vacation trip and was very impressed by both the room and the staff. The guidebook noted that the hotel had recently been remodeled and from staying in other European hotels, I could tell that was true. Modern amenities have been added, including a flat screen TV and Internet hookup in the room. My partner and I stayed there for 6 days so we got to interact quite a bit with the hotel staff. They were all very pleasant and accomodating and went above and beyond the call of duty to help us.

The hotel is in the lovely Montparnasse neighborhood, in the 14th arrondissement. It is on the northern edge of that arrondissement though so you're not too far from the 6th. To give you a sense of location, it is about a 10 minute walk to the Luxembourg Gardens. It is also conveniently located near two major Metro lines (the 4th and the 6th). The 4th is right around the corner from the hotel and the 6th is at the end of the block. All in all, I highly recommend this hotel for both business and pleasure travelers and would definitely stay there again.

Great Hotel-Wonderful Staff!

by TripAdvisor Member soonergirl_123

We stayed at the Lenox Montparnasse for 4 nights in early June. We arrived very late due to a 3 hour (that's right 3 hour!!) delay on the Eurostar. The three hour delay was AFTER we had boarded the train, but that is a story for a different board. Anyway, we arrived at the hotel around 9:30pm. It was a little hard to find coming off the metro the first time, but it could be that we were stressed about the train delay and were a little flustered. After we got our bearings, it was easy to find the hotel.

I have NEVER experienced a better front desk staff. They were very friendly and helpful and spoke wonderful English. They were always there with a genuine smile and "Bonjour!" The check in was quick and the staff was able to answer all the questions we had. We got a smoking room, however, since we were so late checking in, I was happy just to have a room. This did become a bit of a problem throughout the stay, however, as we had a smoke smell in our room most of the trip. It was worst at night when guests in other rooms were smoking. I did find that there are a large amount of smokers in Paris, and you can't seem to escape it anywhere. I don't know if this was a problem in other rooms or not.

The rooms were very well decorated and pleasant. There was a flat screen TV with satellite television, so there were some English channels we could watch. The bathroom was miniscule, the kind you would expect on a cruise ship. It also had the world's smallest shower with no shower curtain, which made showering interesting. It was almost impossible not to get the floor soaking wet. Of course, we figured these are the charming things that vacations are all about, so it didn't really bother us. The beds were very comfortable and the room had a nice air conditioner. There was good closet space and we found the room to be quite pleasant. We did have a problem with the maids/staff having walking into the room. I think someone tried to walk in on us each day! They would softly knock and then just open the door without really pausing for a response. This was usually during the day when we were resting between sights and in their defense, we didn't have out the do not disturb sign at the time. I guess they weren't used to people being in the rooms at that time of day!

The hotel offered free high speed internet. The internet in our room was not working, however there was a computer downstairs available for the guests, and we found that it was easier to stop and use that on our way in or out than to set up our computer anyway.

Breakfast was not included with the price of our room and seemed a bit expensive, so we usually just picked something up while we were out in the morning. The hotel is located in a residential part of town. We were to intimidated to enter most of the establishments close to the hotel (with the exception of some small grocery stores) as we only knew a few phrases of French and it appeared these were not places as used to tourists. There were a few with translated menus, but not many. Also, there was a nice bar on the ground floor, however we didn't get a chance to visit it.

Another thing, I was not used to hotels where you turned in your key each time you left. Luckily I had seen enough old movies that I knew when I got the key on a key ring that weighed 2lbs, it meant we needed to leave it at the front desk as we left. It was no problem at all, we never had to wait to get it, I just thought it was charming and different.

Over all it was a very nice hotel. I don't think I've ever been made to feel more welcome or had better service from the front desk. We might try another hotel on our next trip, just because of the smoke and it was a bit far from the major sights. I definitely think it is a great hotel though, and is nice for first time visitors. France is an intimidating place to visit, but the staff makes you feel right at home!

A really good place to stay

We stayed here for 3 nights and it was fab. We had a fairly ordinary but clean room with doors that opened to a tiny balcony over the street below. Its about half way down a reasonably quiet street with a different metro line at each end of the street. Takes 10 mins on the metro to get to Notre Dame. Loads of restaurants and bars in the street and surroundings - but not noisy places. The hotel bar is very comfy and hardly anyone seems to use it - probably because of the ample choice outside. There seems to be a lot of seafood restaurants and oyster bars around the area. Theres a bar across the road that sometimes has a live band in the cellar. We paid 120 euros a night for a 'club' room excluding breakfast (which we never managed to get up for). This got us a room like one of the pictures - but not the big posh looking rooms! We really like the area - there are loads of cafes, bars etc and a market at the end of the road. I reckon for 'loving' couples its great - the area is good for chilling out and its not a tourist area. I would rate this hotel for its friendliness, cleanliness and its situation. Thanks for a really good time.

Great Hotel in a good location

by TripAdvisor Member BILLO1

My wife & I spent a week here & we would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone .The hotel is situated very near to two Metro stations which made it ideal for getting around. Our room was at the rear of the hotel & very quiet,reasonable in size,with a spotless bathroom. The staff were very friendly throughout but particularly those on reception who were most helpful. During our stay I contrived to lose, or have stolen,my wallet in the Sacre Couer area & on returning to the hotel, 'Joe', the duty receptionist, was a great help in ensuring that my credit card was stopped before any withdrawals could be made.

Noisy Rooms

by TripAdvisor Member shopaholictraveler

We booked 2 nights here. Here are the positives: Check in was very quick and the hotel staff was very friendly. Yes, the room was small and the bathroom miniscule, but that was fine and expected, the room was still comfortable enough as was the bed. There is a computer in the lobby for use but since we had our lap top, we used the free internet in our room. When the WiFi didn't work, they provided a cable for use. It was good to have TV with 2 English channels to get caught up on everything. The location was good. It is walking distance to both the Metro and the train/TGV station. At the end of the street on Saturday is a market that sells fruits, vegetables, meats, and cheeses. On Sunday, they sell local art. On the same street are a laundromat and small grocery store. There are numerous restaurants and cafes all around.

The negatives: We heard so much from our room. Not from the streets below but from the neighbors. We could hear when people walked in the hallway. We heard when they put their key into their lock as if it was our own. We heard when a neighbor locked herself out and knocked and said "It's me, let me in". This was all fine during the day but at night, when our neighbors came in at 1 am. The noise from their bathroom, and doors opening and closing were ALL heard. You can hear the running water, flushing toilets, showers running. You also heard all of their "nighttime activities". Ugh!

I wondered if it was only certain rooms as looking back at previous reviews I only saw 1 with a comment about the noise. When I looked at the floor lay out behind the door, we were in the middle of the floor, and another room mirrored ours. Still, sound proofing of any kid was not to be found at this hotel.

Great Paris Hotel

An excellent hotel in Paris - good location and handy for any of three metro stations.
Excellent reception - a very warm welcome and nothing too much trouble.
Rooms very well maintained - great choices for cold or hot breakfast.
Private secure parking under hotel available.
Plenty of restaurants, cafes, bars etc within five minutes of the hotel.
Next time in Paris this is where we will be staying.

A great value, a great stay

by TripAdvisor Member NH1212

My wife and I stayed here in November of 2005 for ten overnights. Our stay reflected the positives that can be seen in many of the other reviews here. One of the other reviews mentions "noise" and while we did not have that problem, other than occasional knocks from maids in the a.m., I'd suggest in making a reservation ask for a room not prone to such problems.......Rooms are no smaller than other Paris hotels in this range and the price is a bargain for what you get. Both my wife and I speak French, not fluently, but good enough to rarely have a problem. Having said that, we noticed that the staff almost always had someone on duty with a working knowledge of English. In fact, one of the night clerks, a younger Frenchman, had spent several months in the US and spoke quite well....The bar at night was cozy and a nice place for a cognac and a cigar (my one vice.) Around the corner near La Dome is an EXCELLENT cigar stores which sells great Cubans. Also, a real find, across the street a wonderful neighborhood Italian restaurant named L'Auberge de Venise. Again, we spoke French (and some small amounts of Italian) there but the staff there was also adept in English and friendly to other American couples....Before our arrival, I ordered some books from Amazon.fr. These were delivered to the hotel and held for our arrival perfectly. Bottom line, check for internet special bargains at this hotel. We would stay there again without hesitation. I give the hotel the highest rating available here not because it is the top hotel in Paris, but because it delivers immense value for the price paid, about $130 a night for the two of us.

Comments