Louxor

Hotel Annexe
Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 2 star hotels

• Muarrij's Profile Photo

Hotel Louxor - A bad experience for me.

This hotel cancelled my deposit paid booking for the week without telling me, in the middle of Paris's most busy period, the Agriculture and Trade exhibitions! To read about my shear dissapointment in this hotel visit my blog.
    In addition the hotel is situated down a back street in not the best areas in my opinion. Whilst safe in the day time, after dark the streets here are not brilliant.

Unique Quality: They cancel your booking - to offer to someone else who might pay more for the room.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

Now called Hotel L'Annexe

I booked this hotel in 2006 through bookings.org, which by the way I found through OneTime.com, so again I hasten to eat my words and take back all the disparaging remarks I used to make about OneTime.

These are actually two small hotels under the same management, the Hotel Taylor in the foreground, and the Hotel Luxour behind. The reception for both is in the Taylor, which is also where the free internet connection is (the computer on the right is much faster than the one on the left).

The Luxour is a very basic little hotel, with only the bare necessities but nothing more. This bothered me a bit at first, even though I had chosen it mainly for the low price, but the longer I stayed here the better I liked it. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and the free internet connection was of course a big plus for a VT member, LOL.

This hotel is within easy walking distance of the Gare de l'Est railroad station, by the way. (About seven or eight blocks, depending on what you count as a block. Though they aren't really "blocks" in a city like this, more like irregular polygons.)

Second photo: In 2006 a French breakfast cost 5 Euros at the Luxour and 6 at the Taylor, which might seem a bit much compared to the big breakfast buffets you can get at hotels in other cities, but the same French breakfast would cost 7 to 9 Euros in a café on the Paris streets, so I mostly ate here at the hotel.

Third photo: They were very nice about letting me keep my bicycle locked up in a safe place overnight, in a closed-off little courtyard behind the Taylor.

Fourth photo: The closest monument to this hotel is this slightly greenish bust of the composer Johann Strauss Jr. (1825-1899), whom I have already mentioned on my Magdeburg page.

Fifth photo: Two years later, in 2008, the former Hotel Luxor is now called the Hotel L'Annexe, presumably meaning that it is the annex to the Hotel Taylor next door -- though the Taylor is not mentioned on the attractive new L'Annexe website.

Directions: