Paris Hotels

Our Members Say

Budget hotels in Paris: Cheap hotels do exist in Paris

I read an article in Atlantic saying you can't get a hotel room in Paris for under 500 euros. That is insane. You can get a nice room around 100 euros in good central areas. You have to do your research but it is possible. Booking early is a help because these places are popular.

Remember that summer is low season in Paris so rates are actually lower in August. Always check for specials and Internet rates because those will be the best ones. See if you can negotiate breakfast with your room rate. Staying 3 days or longer can save you money. There are often 3-day packages. If rates seem to spike on a certain date, there may be a convention in town. See if you can change your dates or move to a different area of the city.

Here's a list of hotels that I put together doing research for our many visits to Paris, all under 100 euros for a double room. We've stayed in several and others have been recommended on Virtual Tourist or Trip Advisor. They are arranged with the least expensive first. Be sure to check reviews on a separate web site before booking. Click on the link to go to the hotel web site.

Hotel du Commerce Latin Quarter (watch for shared baths; many do not have private toilets)
Double room with sink EUR 49; Double room with shower EUR 59; Twin room with shower and toilets 69 euros

Hotel Moulin Vert in the 14eme (Metro Pernety, Plaissance or Alésia)
Double room - starting at 53 euros

Hotel de la Porte Dorée (12eme Porte Dorée Metro, lovely but pretty far out)
Double room (3 night special)- Classic (2 people) Starting from EUR59
Double room (3 night special) - Superior (2 people) Starting from EUR68
Double room - Classic (2 people) Starting from EUR62
Double room - Superior (2 people) Starting from EUR72

Hotel Croix de Malte (11eme)
Double room - starting at 62 euros

Hotel du Printemps in the 12eme (Metro Nation or Picpus)
Double room - starting at 75 euros (64 euros with 21 day prebooking)

Hotel Plaza Opera 9eme
some Eiffel Tower view rooms; some balconies
Double room (3-night special starting at 93 euros

Familia Hotel in the Latin Quarter and very attractive (Metro Cardinal Lemoine)
Double rooms - starting at 95 euros

Verlain Hotel in the 11eme (Metro St. Maur)
Double room - starting at 81 to 85 euros with summer specials at 70 euros

Hotel Beaugency in the 7eme (Metro Ecole Militaire)
Double room - starting at 99 euros

Hotel California St. Germain (at 32 rue des Ecoles in the Latin Quarter)
Double from 90 euros; Deluxe from 94 euros, Triple and Quadruple rooms available

Hotel Taylor 10eme near Republique Metro
Double room - 90 euros (look for specials)

Europe Hotel Paris Tour Eiffel in the 15eme (Metro La Motte Picquet above ground here)
Double room starting at 99 euros

Tourisme Hotel (recommended by a friend) near Eiffel Tower in the 15eme on La Motte Picquet
Double room - starting at 88 euros (have triples and quadruples)

Hotel Moderne St. Germain in the 5eme (Metro Saint Michel or Maubert-Mutualité)
Twin room - starting from 89 euros; Double room - starting from 98 euros

Hotel de la Place de la Vosges 4eme by Place des Vosges (We love this place!)
Double or single, bath shower, large bed from 95 euros

Hotel de l’Alma in the 7eme (Metro Ecole Militaire or Tour Maubourg)
Double room - starting at 101 euros, singles starting at 82 euros

Hotel des Gobelins in the 13eme (Metro Les Gobelins)
Double room - starting at 98 euros

Grande Hotel Leveque on rue Cler in the 7eme (Metro Ecole Militaire)
Double rooms - starting at 99 euros, but check for specials

Hotel St. Andre des Arts 6eme (Metro Odeon)
Double room - start at 98 euros WITH BREAKFAST

Here are a few slightly over 100 euros but still bargains:

Hôtel Elysées Union in the 16eme at Boissiere Metro
Double room - from 131 euros

Hostellerie du Marais 30, rue de Turenne (3eme near Place des Vosges)
Double room - starting at 116 euros but check for their 3-night special

Hotel des Grandes Ecoles in the Latin Quarter (gorgeous rooms and garden)
Double rooms - starting at 120 euros

Formerly the budget Hotel Lyon-Mulhouse, now renovated and opened as Hotel Original with much higher prices.
Hotel Original (near Bastille Metro, great location)
Double room - starting at 155 euros (triple and quad rooms are available)

Another one has been bitten by the "boutique" bug. Prices reflect the changes.
Hotel Trocadero la Tour in the 16eme (Metro Passy or La Muette; both a hike)
Double room - starting at 123 euros

Prices have gone over 100 euros for this one but the location is great.
Hotel Ascot Opera in the 2eme (Metro Quatre Septembre or Opera)
Double room - starting at 113 euros, singles at 94 euros

I removed Hotel Champ du Mars in the 7eme from the list because it downloaded a virus onto my computer. They may or may not have fixed it, but I do not recommend using their web site. If you are interested, use a trusted web site like http://www.booking.com or http://www.venere.com

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written February 16, 2011

View from Hotel de la Sorbonne

• June.b profile photo June.b
  • Reviews: 1339

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

HOME (...is where the heart is!): My Best Stay in Paris....

On my 6th night, I finally settled in a place which I later on called ... HOME!

Stayed there for almost 2 weeks under the loving care of Momma Micheline. If there's an instant mami noodles .... she's that Instant Mom!

It's here where I experience that local Parissiene feeling, accompanying momma (as I call her) for a weekend tour of the flea market. I hope she already had sold that antique mirror she has been eager to sell, just to buy other flea market stuff that she will later on dead-stock in her basement rooms (right, Carol dear?). Imagine stealing the nearby supermarket's grocery cart to transport that huge & heavy mirror? Cool mom! She even took me to Disneyland and forced me to ride a carousel and all those kiddie rides.

Carol, my newfound sister, likewise is a sweet thing. If tounge has the strongest muscle in our muscular system, well, her's more to offer .... talks a lot and never get tired of it, giving directions to tourists getting lost with elaborate info that is into the minutest detail. If you still don't get it...get lost forever!

How about breakfast in the garden with freshly picked cherry tomatoes, yes, from their own backyard... and fresh mint leaves for your english tea .... and yes momma.... am allergic to flowers but I love that big pink rose that you put in my bedroom.

(SIGH!) I miss Momma Mich & Carol's tandem, the way ...no!... more than I miss Batman & Robin or Tracy Thorn & Ben Wat, or Stanley & Iris, or.....

HOME SWEET HOME!

Directions by METRO:

Take the Metro #13 (Asnieres-Gennevilliers Saint-Denis / Chatillon-Montrouge), get down to Plaisance station, take the street fronting you when you got up the escalator, approx. 3 min. turn left to Rue Pierre Larouse, walk straight about 6min. and at the end of the street is Rue Didot, turn right, you will pass by Citadines apartelle, Grandprix supermart, in about 2min. you reach Hopitale Brousses fronting it is Indien Suraj resto, at the side of this resto is that small street called Villa Colet.... Apartment No. 4. You're there!

Directions by BUS:

Bus # 58 from Chatelet.

But I prefer the metro, I got lost when I took the bus the first time!

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written October 5, 2005

My Sweet Room

• Diana75 profile photo Diana75
  • Reviews: 1519

Nice apartment in the 10th arrondissement

As we were a group of five friends we have decided that the best option for our 7 days stay in Paris will be to rent an apartment.

This possibility was not only more convenient from the cost point of view but gave us also a certain liberty to manage our time according to our wishes.

Before choosing we have made a long and detailed research regarding especially the areas where the flats were located as we've been warned by some friends that in Paris are some arrondissements that is better to avoid, especially at late hours in the night (e.g. Montmartre).

Our flat was located in the 10th Arrondissement and, although the street was full of fancy names hair style shops for afro people (e.g. Top Chic, Afro King), we had no problem at all.

The nearest metro station, Chateau d'Eau, was located at 100m and a supermarket at 15m.

The flat was very nice, fully equipped and from the livingroom window we had a very nice view of Basilique du Sacre-Coeur.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written January 27, 2006
Tip Photo

Livingroom with a view of Sacre-Coeur

• JLBG profile photo JLBG
  • Reviews: 6088

Nouvel Hôtel Lyon: Clean and calm

This hotel has nothing outstanding but its is close the Gare de Lyon, in a small street, which means that it is much quieter than those that are just in front of the station. There are certainly lots of other hotels with the same quality in the area. BTW, if you plan to dine at the "Biche au Bois", it is a hundred meters away !

• Written March 12, 2005

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Paris Attitude Apartments: Rent an apartment and live at home in Paris.

If you are staying a week or longer, consider an apartment. You have a lot more room, cooking facilities, often laundry facilities and you feel like you are really living in Paris for your week (or more).

We've used Paris Attitude Apartments and had a wonderful experience. Normally in Paris I prefer a hotel for the staff, but we had our two adult daughters with us so wanted more room and paying for 3 rooms was more than we wanted to do. We did a little searching and found a 3-bedroom apartment near the rue Cler market and Eiffel Tower and moved our family in for the week. When we split the cost, it came out to 32 euros a night. That's impossible to find in a hotel as nice as the apartment.

We didn't do any cooking, but we did have a picnic on our terrace every night. We had breakfast at a cute little tea room nearby or at Paul's Boulangerie on rue de Buci; had lunch wherever we were sightseeing for the day and then stopped at the market on the way "home" to get our picnic supplies.

When looking at apartments, remember the ground floor is the "ground" floor and the next floor up is the first floor. Check for an elevator if you don't want to climb stairs. It's useful to have a local contact in case of a problem. I managed to blow a fuse the first night and I'm sure other crazy things can go wrong.

Living room, dining room, kitchen, bathroom with separate WC, 3 bedrooms, computer and wifi, tv, great neighborhood, fun local street market, nearby Metro stations.

I'm not recommending a particular apartment, just the idea of thinking about renting one. I can recommend Paris Attitude Apartments but there are other reputable agencies and VRBO (vacation rental by owner) you will find with minimal searching.

• Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written October 27, 2010

Doors to dining terrace, apt. 1181

• rexvaughan profile photo rexvaughan
  • Reviews: 1138

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel La Serre: A bit dumpy

We found this place a little lacking. The staff was a bit short and aloof and the bathroom could have used some upgrading. It was not awful, just one we do not plan to go use again. Even Rick Steves rates it as a "last resort."

Great location on Rue Cler. It does have an elevator.

• Written May 12, 2004

Nice location, but....

Auberge du Petit Cheval d’Or: Minutes from CDG airport

Following a trip to Bavaria, we were returning our leased car and leaving from CDG early in the morning and wanted a quiet place for the night. We certainly found it. The tiny town of Plailly is just north of CDG Airport about a 12 minute drive.

We arrived, left our things and were off to visit the abbey at Chaalis. You could also easily visit the abbey of Royaumont or the chateau of Chantilly. If you want a crazy time, Parc Asterix is a few kilometers from Plailly. That's for you folks with children! . . . or the young at heart.

Pleasant, clean hotel with a very nice restaurant. It is not fancy but it is very French and the staff are helpful and thoughtful.

It was so nice to check out in the morning, drive 12 minutes through the countryside and arrive at the airport with no traffic to speak of. That was why we chose it and it worked beautifully.

There is also a very nice inexpensive breakfast.

• Related to: Castles and Palaces, Family Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written February 24, 2009

Auberge du Petit Cheval d���Or

• CALSF profile photo CALSF
  • Reviews: 231

Hotel du Rond Point de Longchamp: Eiffel Tower View

This hotel holds a special Parisian memory for me. It was the hotel I stayed at during my first Parisian vacation.

While I love this hotel I haven't stayed there again as the location is too far away from where I really wish to be-in the 5th & 6th districts-necessitating taking the metro each time.

First of all the hotel is located in the 16th arrt. When you walk out of the hotel you can see the Eiffel Tower in front of you. In fact, the whole tower is visible from top to bottom so if you wanted, you can take unlimited beautiful photos of the tower from the hotel's street. Some rooms on the hotel's top floor do have Eiffel Tower views also.

Most of all the hotel is old-world styled. When I stayed there the maids still wore the traditional black and white uniforms that you always associate Parisian maids with.

And the elevator was the bird cage type with this nice ironwork -totally Parisian. You could use the stairs instead and would not be sorry as it was beautiful-a bit winding but not so narrow.

If you know the famous chef, Joel Robuchon, his signature restaurant, Jamin, is located near the hotel at 32, rue de Longchamp.

Also another famous chef, Alain Ducasse, presides at another restaurant nearby. That one is called 59 Poincare, the name representing the street address. The restaurant is in the Hotel Sofitel Le Parc.

Designer shopping is found about a block or so from the hotel at Ave. Victor Hugo.

• Written September 21, 2004

• shrimp56 profile photo shrimp56
  • Reviews: 2377

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

VBRO apartment #9528: Home in the *7e ** NOT RECOMMENDED**

The second time I stayed here the drain in the tub did not work and there were dust bunnies under the bed. I heard from a later renter that things had only gotten worse. So I no longer recommend this apartment. Which is too bad, because properly maintained this apartment would be a gem.
--------------------
A friend invited me to share this apartment with her and her mother last October [2005]. It was bit tight for 3, but it worked out just fine. The apartment is in a secured building on Ave de la Bourdonnais. There is both a numeric pad as well as several keys to use on the way in. I did feel very safe here. The apartment was spotlessly clean and very light.
It was my first time in an apartment and I'm still weighing the pluses and minuses. On the plus side you can have your coffee and breakfast without having to face the world. And cheaper than at a hotel or cafe. Also on the plus side is the sense of privacy. On the minus side you make the bed and clean up!
The price was excellent for the quality of the apartment and the neighborhood.

• Written January 2, 2006

The sleeping area

• davequ profile photo davequ
  • Reviews: 626

Rent an Apartment from airbnb.com: "Adieu" Hotels

Since I was staying longer this last trip
I did what I've always wanted to do:
rent an apartment.

In one of my favorite outlying neighborhoods but still close to most of my fave hangouts, this was a one-bedroom with kitchen, living room, bedroom, terrace, courtyard, bath/bidet & separate wc and a lift leased to me by a warm and kind french-tunisian widow who alternates between her apartment in Paris and country house further south of the city.

It is also less expensive than a 3-star hotel, ( I was averaging a cost of approx. 71-Euros/night) yet a better & more rich experience.

Having my own place on a quiet neighborhood street in Paris is an experience I will never forget.
Unless I feel like treating myself to a "luxury night" in a hotel for some special reason, I will likely never stay in a hotel in Paris again.

It seems there are more listings available in the summer & early fall, but there are lots of availabilities all the time.

So much better than a hotel, it is not just about more room or privacy.

It is about a real Paris neighborhood experience, including shopping for good things to eat & drink, chatting with the merchants and shopkeepers, and having somewhere to keep the baguette and all the other goodies you bring home; about meeting your neighbors & concierge and sharing time & conversation in their home; strolling your home neighborhood, watching and enjoying children and their parents play in the many small squares & parks after school and on weekends, not to mention the free concerts that just seem to "happen" in kiosks/bandshells all over the neighborhood.

Finding out the history of the building you live in and the squares on my street was for me an eye-opening and fulfilling experience that I am still enjoying as I research it at home.

Just my opinion, but I think if you try it you'll really like it.

All pix shown will be from around the neighborhood to respect the privacy of the lady who let me stay in her home.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Historical Travel, Budget Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written October 21, 2005
Tip Photo

where they have free concerts

• shrimp56 profile photo shrimp56
  • Reviews: 2377

Hotel de l'Avre & Hotel Lilas Blanc Grenelle: Hotels near La Motte-Picquet-Grenelle *15e

Both are very nice two star hotels just off rue Grenelle on rue de l'Avre . I dropped by both hotels this past October and was very impressed, particularly with Hotel De L'Avre.
I have read good things about De L'Avre and it is now on my short list for a future visit.

The nearby metro stop is a very useful one for getting around Paris, both left and right bank. There is a Sunday market under the elevated tracks. It is a normal Parisian neighborhood with small cafes and a Monoprix.

• Written January 2, 2006

Hotel de l'Avre

• davequ profile photo davequ
  • Reviews: 626

Hôtel-Dieu Hospital: Save Euros on Paris Cheap Lodgings

Since the Euro is killing the dollar making Paris even more expensive, I cracked up when I read someone has found a cheap solution to rooms in the center Ille of Paris:
on a special hotel floor atop the historic Hôtel-Dieu Hospital, the oldest hospital in Paris.

I am not kidding. I just read about this in travel section of the April 10, 2005 NY TImes, and I think it is an extremely clever way to go cheap in Paris for lodging.

The location is right next to Notre Dame on Ile de la Cite.

The punchline is, when you're out partying all night, if you get back too late, you have to enter via the emergency room entrance.

So the bottom line is, you're staying right next door to Notre Dame for about $110 (91 Euros) / day. Since I never sleep in Paris anyway, I say, why not? Note: I no sooner posted this (after the NY Times article) than they raised their rates from 79 to 91 Euros /night..... gouge....!!! )

Read this article Paris Hospital Rooms
and see what you think.

Here is another link about it:
Hôtel Dieu Hospital

aside from E91/day, maybe excellent medical care?

and of course, location right next to the first arrondisemont.

Supposedly they take Visa but I cannot confirm this yet.

• Written April 12, 2005

View from skylight in hotel, Ed Alcock, NY Times

• Nemorino profile photo Nemorino
  • Reviews: 2814

Montparnasse: Hôtel Edgar Quinet

A very small single room in this hotel used to cost 60 Euros in the Low Season, 75 Euros in the High Season and 90 Euros in the Very High Season, also known as “Salon”, which means that something big is going on at Paris Expo, the fairgrounds at Porte de Versailles.

Unfortunately I was there during the Very High Season at the beginning of May, during the Foire de Paris (fifth photo). One of the hotel-booking websites even warned me about this and suggested I try some different dates, but this was not an option since I only had one free week in the entire spring semester.

So I paid the 90 Euros per night, since the other hotels in the south of Paris were even more expensive. I’m sure I could have found a cheaper room at the north end of Paris, in the 10th, 18th or 19th arrondissements, but I have stayed there quite often and wanted to try a different part of Paris this time.

Aside from the inflated price and the small size of the room, I was quite satisfied. The people at reception were very nice, the WiFi connection worked fine and the room had a shower, a tiny wash basin and even a hair dryer.

Breakfast was not included, in fact the hotel doesn’t even have a breakfast room, but they have an arrangement with two nearby cafés allowing hotel guests to have breakfast there at slightly reduced prices.

What I really liked was the location. The hotel is in Montparnasse (a district I had never stayed in before) and is right around the corner from the Rue de la Gaîté, a street which is only three blocks long but has six theaters.

Also there is a large Vélib’ station (14001) directly in front of the hotel and another one (14101) in the next block, so I was always able to find a bike when I need one and always found an attachment point when I came back at night.

Edgar Quinet (1803–1875) was a French author, historian and professor. Like Victor Hugo, he was a fierce opponent of Louis Napoléon, later known as Napoléon III. Both Hugo and Quinet went into exile when Louis Napoléon seized power in 1851 and did not return to France until after his downfall in 1870.

Next review from May 2013: Street Market on Boulevard Edgar Quinet

• Written May 19, 2013

H��tel Edgar Quinet

• tremendopunto profile photo tremendopunto
  • Reviews: 629

Hotel Rivoli: Convinient city center Location/Ile de la Cite

HOTEL RIVOLI is on 44 Rue de Rivoli, corner 2 Rue des Mauvais Garcons - with a view on Hotel de Ville and Tour Saint Jaques. And that is the biggest advantage of this place to stay: right in the heart of old Paris, just 100 hundred meters from the Seine and Ile de la Cite with Notre Dame and so on. Additionally the Metro station Hotel de Ville makes it a convinient getting around connection to everywhere else.

The rooms themselves are not that special and maybe a little bit run down - but in this location for this price it is a great bargain. A double with bathroom was 55 EUR. And again, you cant get much closer with your bed to the highlights of Paris - maybe Hotel Henry IV right ON Ile de la Cite - 25 Place Dauphine, 01 43544453 - would be another great place to stay, but they were already booked out when I prepared the Paris trip.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written June 18, 2008

view from the hotelroom

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Information, not a place to stay: In France the first floor is really the second

When looking at hotels and apartments in France, if you're from the USA, keep in mind that in France the first floor is called the ground floor; the second floor is called the first floor in France because it's the first floor above the ground floor.

A lot of folks find a first floor apartment and think there will be no steps only to discover a flight of stairs when they arrive. Fine for most folks, but not if you have a handicapped person with you.

So remember, the floor at ground level is the "ground floor" (rez-de-chaussée). The floor above that is called the first (premier) floor but you have to walk up a flight of stairs to get there. Their 2nd floor is our 3rd floor. The French 3rd floor is our 4th floor.

In other words, when it says 4th floor walkup apartment, you are walking up 5 flights of stairs. These stairs can be winding and narrow too so check before you arrive and are disappointed.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Seniors, Disabilities, Family Travel
  • Written August 1, 2010
Tip Photo

Stairs up to the 1st floor (2nd floor in the USA)

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful