Mercure Austerlitz Bibliotheque Hotel

Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• carrie.kindred's Profile Photo

Modern, Comfortable and Charming

I had a very pleasant experience at this Mercure hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful, the rooms were beautifully decorated and clean, the breakfast provided was delicious and the check-in/check-out process was quick and efficient. There are two small elevators in the hotel, which are prompt, and air conditioning. I would certainly recommend this hotel.

Rooms came with hair dryers, televisions, mini refrigerators, desks, wifi and excellent lighting (both bedside lamps and smaller reading lights).

I understand that the current rates for rooms at this hotel are around 120euro/night, but since I traveled via Paris Tours (http://my-paris-tours.com), the rooms were booked at a slightly lower rate.

I also noted that the hotel was handicap accessible.

Unique Quality: The modern decor was lovely. There was a floral theme throughout. Particularly interesting was our shower, which was bright purple glass.

The breakfast buffet was one of the best I've had. True to French nature there were croissants and pastries aplenty, as well as sausage links, eggs, fresh fruit, juices, coffee, hot chocolate, toasts with assorted jellies and honey, and cold cut meats.

More about Paris

Boy and his boat, Jardin du LuxembourgBoy and his boat, Jardin du Luxembourg

The Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel, ParisThe Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel, Paris

Close-up shot of the pediment of the PantheonClose-up shot of the pediment of the Pantheon

St. Merri near the Pompidou CenterSt. Merri near the Pompidou Center

when visiting Louvre, should I use the museum pass or not?

by 9tigers

I remember when I was in london for the BIG museum, I was there really for 6-7 hrs, so I want to know if it iwill be the same for me in Louvre, if so, then it prob will not make sense to use the pass since the pass will average a bit over 10 euro where the Louvre by itself for the perm collection is just 9.5.
if I just buy the one day ticket for louvre , can I still reenter as long as it is within a day?
b/c I am planning to visit on a fri when it will close 9:45PM, and I want to visit the surrounding parks and stuff in between like afternoon when it is still bright and then come back to the museum until later nights.
can I do that still with my one day ticket or I can only re enter when i use museum pass?

by goodfish

No, unless you are visiting museums other than the Louvre, the museum pass makes no sense. Yes, your one-day ticket to the Louvre is for ALL DAY. You can leave and re-enter at any point during the day.

Try entering by the Carousel or Richelieu entrances where lines are typically shorter. You will need to go the through the security check each time.

by GrumpyDiver

Your break-even point for the museum pass is 4 museum visits. If you go to fewer than that, pay for the individual admission.

by Dabs

On the other hand, if you are planning on visiting several places on day 2 then the museum pass might save you a bit of money. For example if you were to visit the Louvre in the morning, slip out and go to the top of the Arc de Triomphe for the view and go back to the Louvre on day 1 and go to the top of Notre Dame and visit St. Chappelle on day 2 then you would save a few euro. Even more if you had time for another museum in the afternoon.

You can't buy a 1 day museum pass so if you are only dealing with one day then it doesn't make sense to buy one. If you are buying a 4 or 6 day pass then you have to look at the whole visit. Just because you don't save money on one particular day doesn't mean that you don't save overall.

by goodfish

Kristi, that's true - the poster just didn't mentioned seeing other museums on day 2. That would make a difference.

by Dabs

Kate, I'm a very experienced museum pass buyer ;-) Not to mention an accountant. You should see what "fun" I have when buying London travel cards!

by goodfish

Yup - I do a lot of math before forking over for museum/metro cards!

by 9tigers

fab ty all

Travel Tips for Paris

the out of the way places

by uglyscot

As I said in my Montremartre tip, there is a different atmosphere in Montmartre. Some say it is more like a village than a suburban district. Certainly it has more quaint buildings and a different life-style thus making it less formal than downtown Paris. So, walking around, finding small details that catch the eye makes it a wonderful place to visit. It has a beauty and style of its own.

Bad plan

by solopes

The ticket to Invalides do include the visit of the military museum. The women and Tito were not interested, and I accepted to skip it.

Later on, I felt deeply sorry - my grand uncle's greatest works were done in France, capturing some scenes of WW1. Maybe the museum displays anything from him, that I don't know.

If you go to the museum search for "Sousa Lopes" paintings. If you find any e-mail me, and I'll offer you a candy.

Visit the flea...

by Razorart

Visit the flea market!!!!!!!!!!!(Marche aux Puces). I came home with bags of vintage dresses from the 20's and 40's for a FRACTION of the price they would get here.

One can find anything from an exhumed corpse in a Victorian Coffin (picture soon to come) to cotton/lace pantaloons and purses!! Sitting in a cafe at the flea market with Roberta, drinking my millionth coffee and Perrier of the day.

What's the difference between a menu and a menu?

by Beausoleil

It is easy to confuse menu (in English) with menu (in French). They are two different words. What is referred to as a menu in English is called a "carte" in French. In French the menu is a prix fixe choice of set menu items for a specific price. (The one price is for all the items listed for that particular prix fixe menu.)

First, you ask for the Carte to get a list of food offerings. Next, when you read the carte, you will see one or more menus offered at one or more prices. Each "menu" is quite specific as to what you may order, e.g. a starter, a main course and a dessert. You may have a choice of several items in each section . . . or for a very inexpensive prix fixe menu, you may have no choice at all. You take what they give you. (Don't worry, it's usually great.)

When you order a menu, you simply call it by the price, e.g. I would like the 25 euro menu. If there are choices on that menu, the waiter will then ask what you want in each section. If it's a 25 euro menu, the cost is 25 euros for whatever is listed under that menu on your carte.

You will be charged for drinks unless they are listed as part of the menu. You may ask for a carafe of tap water and no one will think you odd. Ask for a "carafe d'eau." If you just ask for water, you may get mineral water and it's expensive.

You can also order "a la carte" or off the carte. Then you may choose anything you like. If you order several courses a la carte, it can be very expensive, often nearly twice as much as a menu. The prix fixe menu choices are a great bargain. In cheaper restaurants they are often the best tasting items on the menu because that is what the locals will order and the chef knows better than to provide poor food for his bread & butter clients.

A word to the wise: You will not get your bill until you ask for it. "L'addition, s'il vous plais." The waiters will not interrupt your dinner or your conversation so you must ask for the bill. If you don't, you may sit there all night waiting for it. Its' considered rude to put it on the table while you are eating or talking . . . cultural difference.

The service charge is usually added to the bill . Check for the words "Service compris" or just "SC" to see if service is included. It is okay to round up the amount to the nearest euro.

A reminder of France's Colonial Legacy ...

by shrimp56

This is not an easy subject. And I will not presume. France IS a multi-ethnic country with a belief in one culture. In these ads that I saw in the train and metro stations one of the relations between those that live in France and those in the "outre mer" departments or in the former colonies is shown.

Comments