Modern Hotel La Fayette

Costs 38% less but rated 61% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Paris

Père LachaisePère Lachaise

Benjamin Franklin monument, ParisBenjamin Franklin monument, Paris

Place Igor Stravinsky beside the Pompidou CenterPlace Igor Stravinsky beside the Pompidou Center

Zadkine at workZadkine at work

Where to buy sim for mobile phone and will we get a different telephone number?

by LynndLou

Bonjour - We are travelling to France for a holiday next month. We intend to bring a mobile phone with us from Australia and had heard it was a good idea to buy a sim in Paris when we arrive to use whilst on holidays in France.
Where should I buy the sim? (I think someone told me the name 'orange'is the name of one of the companies over there) My next question is will I get a different phone number to my existing one? Also, will I be able to use the phone for sending texts etc (pretty dumb question, but just checking)!

Re: Where to buy sim for mobile phone and will we get a different telephone number?

by jeanfinney

It might be cheaper to use a plain old fashioned public pay phone (if you can find one that works) with a card buyable at any Tabac - For the States to a land line, anyway, it is really does not cost much at all - There are also teleboutiques in cities, generally in more of the immigrant quarters, where you can go into a booth, sit down and take notes etc, which is more practical than standing in the street but probably a bit more - Their rates should be indicated - Cell phones are expensive in France, Orange is really bad but they are all in cahoots - The European Commission slapped their wrists a few years ago and demanded a huge fine for price fixing amongst them, but I don't know how much that helped. Half a million cell phones are also stolen every year in France, so be careful with yours! If you do decide to sim it, you will surely have a different number, a French number, but I am pretty sure that you can text, which is a good alternative. And there is always that wonderful medium we are using right now: the internet!

by Maryimelda

You can use many of the Internet Cafes all over Europe who have International Phone Call facilities (using skype, I think) that are really, really cheap. You go into a private booth, dial your number and hen you are finished go out to the desk and they will tell you what you owe. Just as an example, I phoned from Strasbourg to Australia and spoke for about 7 or 8 minutes for a total of 68 eurocents. Then from Maastricht in Holland to Australia, a similar length of call cost me 89 eurocents. Other than using these phones, I just chose to text. It saved me hundreds of dollars when compared to my lat trip two years earlier when I used my phone for everything.

by swissfondue

I would just use your own phone if you are going to text most of the time. I am with Telstra and it is quite cheap to send and receive text messages from overseas through the local provider they are linked to.

Calling people is a completely different story. Much more expensive. I am too lazy to organise a sim card when overseas but if its easy to do and a lot more cost effective then its a good idea.

by johnfromoz

We have just returned to Australia from Paris where we used my existing mobile phone & sim card. We used text messages to keep in touch with home & brought an overseas phone card in Australia for our family to call us in our hotel room if anything was to complicated to be covered by text or we required them to arrange stuff for us. We would just text them "call us now in hotel room" & they would call us, easy. We only made mobile phone calls sparingly to confirm bookings etc whilst in France.

by LynndLou

Thanks for all your replies, they are very much appreciated. In light of this info I have decided to keep it simple and have got international roaming on my Telstra phone. I am sure through text, email and skype everything will be covered.

Travel Tips for Paris

Map of Paris

by Jeannette1

If you click on this map, you will see all the different districts (arrondissements) of Paris as well as the main monuments and tourist attractions. I miss sitting at a side-walk cafe and watching the world go by :-)

Wandering around

by eho

There was always something interesting happening. I was just walking on the streets near Pompidou and saw this bowing head display. You put a coin in the pail and the head will bow. Even dogs find this an interesting city to roam around in!

The Left Bank

by eho

Walk along the left bank from around Pont de Bir Hakeim. There were lots of places where one could take a boat cruise also. Walking east along the bank you will eventually get to the Statue of Liberty. It was a very nice walk and I found it a relaxing way to see the city.

Always try and speak a little French!

by Albernfrau

Be respectful and try speaking French to people before you use English. At first it can be so intimidating and nerveracking to try especially when you have heard that Parisians aren't friendly but it is sooooo worth the effort!

Two guides you shouldn't be without

by Herkbert

We have found two guides that we feel are indispensable, especially if you want a real Parisian experience and not a touristy one:

First is the Marling Menu-Master for France. This little guide will help you translate just about any menu item you'll come across in a French restaurant. No more fear if your french is lacking and the waiter is intimidating. Not sure what dodine de canard is, check the book and enjoy your meal.

The second is the Paris Mapguide. Light in weight but heavy in detail. We use it when wandering around to find small streets, restaurants and to get back to the hotel if we've wandered too far.

Both are available from most bookstores or Amazon online.

Comments