Montalembert

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Montalembert

Loved Hotel Montalembert

by TripAdvisor Member S June

We stayed at Hotel Montalembert for 4 nights – including the night France beat Brazil in the World Cup. Of the many things we liked, I'd have to rate friendliness of the staff as tops. They were incredibly nice. Very helpful in making restaurant reservations (and a few great suggestions) and they always printed maps off the internet, without our having to ask. Our room (a superior double, I think) was very comfortable and plenty big – lots of room to unpack our clothing and keep suitcases out of the way. Each time we came back to the room during the day there were always fresh towels. At night they left bottles of water – not part of mini-bar charge. Everything was clean; everything worked well. The location is terrific.

Fabulous Montalembert

We stayed at the Montalembert for 4 nights in late April, and it was wonderful. It helped that we were unexpectedly upgraded to a deluxe suite – despite the fact that we'd already found an amazing promotional deal on the internet which meant that we only paid about €200 per night. Our room was extremely comfortable, with a huge double bed heaped with snowy pillows. We had a view of the Eiffel Tower (we were on the Rue Montalembert side). The staff were helpful and pleasant. Ok, the showers leak, but that's the hotel's problem, not yours. The only flaw I could find was that the TV didn't have MTV or a sports channel, but you can certainly borrow DVDs from reception, so you don't have to leave the hotel at all, if, like us, you are way too comfotable there! The area is terrific, once you do drag yourself outdoors. Chic, quiet, with great shopping and a 10-minute walk to the Louvre.

Art history and shopping

by aemilys about Magasin Sennelier

According to the website, Cézanne, Gauguin, Soutine, Modigliani, Kandinsky, Bonnard, Picasso and Cocteau all shopped here.

It's a charming little place to pick up some art supplies or read the notice board for what's going on in the world of pastels.

3, QUAI VOLTAIRE - 75007 PARIS
Tel : (33) 01.42.60.72.15 - Fax : (33) 01.42.61.00.69
Metro : Palais Royal - Rue du Bac - Saint Germain
Bus : 24 - 27 - 39 - 48 - 68 - 95
Parking : Drugstore - Louvre Carrousel - Saint Germain des Près - Montalembert
Open : Every day (except Sunday and Monday morning)
from 10H00 to 12H45 and 14H00 to 18H30 - Monday: from 14H00 to 18H30 Pastels Depends on what you buy

absolutely perfect

by TripAdvisor Member FrancOphilenyc

I never write reviews of anything but Hotel Montalembert made my recent trip absolutely perfect and deserves comment. I chose it for the neighborhood but was blown away by nearly every detail. From the start, the staff are extraordinarily welcoming, efficient and kind -- there is no Parisian attitude ( ! ) and they seem to be happy to be at work. It was obvious they wanted me to enjoy my stay.
There are things happening here that they don't advertise and about which other hotels might shout, for instance, no one mentioned that the room would have a view of the Eiffel Tower and the dome of Invalides, or that the bed had Frette sheets. Every appointment was refined, thoughtful and sophisticated.
I notice most of the other comments about this hotel are glowing, but a few people have complained about the bathroom shower. The glass shower door is ... a door. You have to shut it if you don't want to flood the bathroom.
Also, I am an ex-smoker (we're more sensitive than anyone) and I didn't notice the smell of smoke, except when having a drink at the bar with a friend who smokes! But it certainly wasn't in my room or noticeable at other times.
I usually stay with friends in Paris, but from here on out -- I will always try to stay at The Montalembert. Absolutely and highly recommended.

Great Location, but terrible service

by TripAdvisor Member PeteSimon

I stayed at the Hotel Montalembert in the beginning of July. The Montalembert used to be my favorite hotel in Paris. Located in the 7th arrondissement, it featured beautiful interiors and exquisite service with the personal touch of the finest boutique hotel. No more. Recently having changed management and owners, my last stay there (9 days) bordered on the absurd... While the public spaces and rooms themeselves retain their style (though the airconditioning was weak and the carpets etc could use some freshening), it was the service which truly had changed for the worse. The restaurant was closed night after night for "private events" forcing other guests to only order room service in their room. This might be acceptable if one is in a suite, but even the deluxe rooms are hardly huge here. And more simply, how can a supposedly luxury hotel which advertises these facilites (i.e. a restaurant, a terrace for dining al fresco) simply close them for the majority of its guests for 6 of the 9 days I stayed there. Other problems included internet problems, mediocre tv channels (BBC while avaliable seems to work only in 2 second freeze frames; SKY and CNN intermittent). Even late night room service was a hit or miss affair - one evening after a long day of work I came back to my room and called for a club sanwhich only to be told by a surly front receptionist all they had was ham... When I asked if a ham sandwhich might be possible, I was told no, they didnt have bread... Not a single item from their one page night menu was available and the receptionist seemed surly and uncaring. And this wasnt the first and only time when night services here were simply unacceptably incompetent. All this might be acceptable in an establishment of 1-2 stars charging much much lower rates, But the rack rate of a deluxe room here is 450 Euros. Clearly the new owners and management are simply not up to the challenge of running a frst class establishment, Heartbreaking when one considers the once perfection of this hotel both in its then fresh decor and perfect location and subtle efficient first class service.NO MORE. Be warned, the Montalembert is not what is was, and what it has become is quite a rip off.

Poor service and amenities spoil this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member TravelQueenEdinburgh

This hotel has terrible service which spoilt our holiday. We stayed at the Montalembert in April with our baby son. On two occasions BOTH lifts were out of order so we had to carry the baby equipment up several flights of stairs. One other guest actually got stuck in the lift while we were there. One lift was out of order our whole stay. Not what you expect in a high-end hotel. Our package stated bed and breakfast included and when we checked out the hotel tried to add 70 euros of breakfast 'extras' - although they did eventually drop this charge when we queried it. To top it all off when we returned home the hotel sent us a letter charging our credit card for minibar items (which we did not have), which they say they 'forgot' to charge at the time. We have been back and forth by e-mail to dispute this but they've been really unhelpful. We are very disappointed in this hotel as the location is great and we had hoped to become regular guests. If you're looking for a special weekend in Paris, avoid the Montalembert.

Comfortable beds, great location.

by TripAdvisor Member gallopingon

We only stayed one night, but all was excellent. We arrived early, and were given both our rooms by 11:00 in the morning, which we appreciated. The staff were nice, and the rooms were small but the beds, my first concern, were very comfortable.
The floor we were on was so newly repainted that it still smelled of fresh paint. From what I glimpsed of other floors, the fresh paint was needed.
Breakfast was excellent and I appreciated the option of a la carte ordering. So many Paris hotels have a set breakfast, and as all I want is coffee and a cup of yogurt, and my children will usually just eat coffee and a roll, it always irks me to pay 20 to 25 euros per person for food we don't eat. At the Montalembert I was brought a big pot of coffee and could order my yogurt for 6 euros, and the children got a huge bread basket for 10 euros.
For some reason the terrace area did not seem to be open for breakfast.
The Montalembert is a pretty hotel, in a location of great left-bank shopping, and walking distance to the Musay d'Orsay, the Louvre and so much else.

This is luxury

Stayed in this hotel in february and must admit that staff understood what is luxury.
Location is fantastic, in the middle of the designer shops, antique stores and art galleries but also few steps away from the museums like the Louvre or Orsay, the famous terraces of Café de Flore or les Deux Magots.
Staff is smiling, friendly, helpful and also discrete.
Rooms are very well equipped although not very big. They also have Ipod and Bose sound system which I then decided to buy.
Restaurant and bar is really nice and the library with the fireplace makes you feel at home.
In one word, Montalembert is an excellent choice and I RECOMMEND it STRONGLY.

Downgraded before I checked in!

I was excited to stay at the Montalembert, especially after an 8 hour flight to London and 3 more hours on the Eurostar to Paris. Upon check-in at 2p.m. and with my email confirmation number for a double room in hand, the front desk blithely tells me my double room is unavailable, but they have a single for me. As you know, a "single" in Europe is tiny. Upon inspection, the room was so small, there was no place to store my suitcase except in the shower! (The room was the size of a small American walk-in closer...literally.) Even after requesting the manager, there was "nothing they could do" and they weren't even apologetic. At my request, I had them rebook me elsewhere. It's my best guess they thought they could get away with cramming a single traveler into a "single." They can't with this traveler. Beware.

Great staff, nice touches, but problems too

by TripAdvisor Member portinfer

First the good news: quiet, sophisticated location; easy walk to Musee D'Orsay and St Germain central; lovely facade, almost finished being cleaned; nice touches like speakers for your Ipod and DVD library; best of all, faultlessly cheerful and efficient staff, not even a hint of Parisien snootiness.

But now the bad news: smoke from the bar drifts up the stairs so even the upper floor corridors stink of cigars; the glass screen on the bath was hinged at a vital point and let through so much water that I inadvertently flooded everything, even the carpet outside the bathroom; the room was small, looked tired (especially the poor old carpet - it had been flooded often by the looks of it) and had an awkward arrangement for the TV - but then I did book on their bargain 'smart rate'.

In short, still searching for my 'perfect' Parisien hideaway...

The Mansard style in Paris, TrocaderoThe Mansard style in Paris, Trocadero

Panoramic Views of ParisPanoramic Views of Paris

Beyond Montmartre to the north.....Beyond Montmartre to the north.....

The former Palais des Tuileries from a painting.The former Palais des Tuileries from a painting.

Dinner Cruise

by ozie9

We , 4 adults will be first time in Paris in early December. we intend to go on a dinner cruise during a weekday nite, can someone suggest one. Do we need to book in advance or book on arrival? How and where can we book, Or is it better to do it online now? Is a day cruise worth doing in addition?

Thanks much for your reply.

Martin

ozie9@yahoo.com.sg

by worldinabag

Hi

There is this one - http://www.bateauxparisiens.com/EN/boats-cruises-paris-seine-uk.html. I didn't dine there but the forums report ordinary reviews.

by Beausoleil

You might enjoy either a night or day cruise (or both) without the dinner. That way you can enjoy the scenery. If you are eating, you can't look at everything you are passing. We haven't taken the dinner cruise but have heard the food is not very impressive. I'd find a nice restaurant for dinner on land. There are so many excellent restaurants in Paris.

You might also consider a night cruise and then take the Batobus during the day. The Batobus is a hop-on hop-off water bus. They announce the stops and you can walk anyplace near the Seine so it's a fun alternative to the Metro and is very inexpensive. That way you'd get your night cruise (lights are terrific) and take a reasonably priced day cruise with a few options.

Here are some web sites for you to explore.

The last one has a cruise of the Canal St. Martin . . . something a bit different.

Enjoy Paris.

by tanderson1

We went on the evening dinner cruise with Bateaux Parisien and it was great.

Comments