Monterosa

Costs 29% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Paris

view from 9th floorview from 9th floor

Palais de ChaillotPalais de Chaillot

Paul giving us some history of ParisPaul giving us some history of Paris

Gendarmes outside Gare du Nord, Paris Oct. 09Gendarmes outside Gare du Nord, Paris Oct. 09

Here a flea, there a flea, every where a Flea, Flea (market that is)

by eliza61

Any one ever been to the Flea markets in Paris. Some one told me to make sure I visited the Parisian flea markets. The Clignancourt Flea market and the Montreuil (I may be spelling these wrong, so I apologize) were the two they said to visit.

Any Opinions? Yea or Nay?

by leanneedwards

I have been to the Clignacourt one it is very interesting you can buy all sorts of clothes bags hats etc etc as you travel through the maze of vendors... in the centre are the antique shops well maybe to the back with lots of treasures.. you would need to know prices... but an adventure of the Paris kind...

by pieter_jan_v

There's a third one: Les Puces

See: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tp/104109

PJ

by pieter_jan_v

Sorry, that was not a third one.

Les Puces or Marches aux Puces is next to the Clignancourt.
How could I miss my own direction recommendation: Metro line #4 Porte de Clignancourt.

I've been there two times; must visit again.
Beware of street "artists"/pick pockets near the Metro exit.

PJ

by Roadquill

Ditto what Pieter said. If you google Puces they have a good website that explains where the various sections are. Downside is that it is only open a few days a week. You can easily spend a day. Karl

Travel Tips for Paris

Visit Sainte Chapelle, a...

by hirundinella

Visit Sainte Chapelle, a stunningly beautiful church on the Ile de le Cite not far from the more famous Notre Dame. Enter into the lower chapel with sombre colouring and then climb the stairs to the upper chapel and prepare to be amazed. A room with light streaming in on all sides through tall stained glass windows. It is like stepping into a multi-coloured glass box. Don't miss it! Paris by night...crossing the river to enter the shadowy Notre Dame after sunset brilliant with candles, strolling along the river passing the floodlit buildings and finally view the whole city alive with lights from the top of the Arch de Triumph.

Music, radio, Les grosses tetes

by Norali

So, we were brought to my uncle's home. So tired after our long flight that we went sleeping right away. The discovery of Paris started the following day.

Since we stayed at my uncle's place, we first had to go to supermaket to buy all we needed.

On our way to the supermarket, in my uncle's car, I noticed people in Paris used to listen to radio. In Madagascar, we didn't do that that much... or maybe I hadn't noticed others did... Anyways, that was the past... Nowadays, you can't walk in Tana streets without hearing songblast from flash cars, 4WD, SUV the young things use to drive. It was during those rides that I listened to Top50 (music charts). I discovered a lot there.. all artists, French and non-French alike... and especially the 80s music "artists".

Say Michael Jackson (with Mc Cartney, they sang "Say, Say, Say" at that time), Tina Turner (a comeback), Rita Mitsouko (only Francophiles would know them)... I am sure there are more. Yes, more: Jean-Jacques Goldman (still listening to him), Lahaie, Phil Collins + Genesis, Cindy Lauper (I like her) ...

Pop music is one of thing I discovered in Paris. I liked it and it changed me a lot from classical music I used to hear playing home. This is also one of fondest memories of Paris.

As for my uncle, he appreciated "Les Grosses Têtes". Both he and my parents liked to listen to this program. It was (and still IS) all about witty humour. Philippe BOUVARD, the host invited(s) persons with his crew. Then, they have some chat, guessing games about news of various topics.. It can be about stars, politicians.. Sthg like "Guess who said this?".. or other guessing games. All of that with culture, laughters, wit and cleverness.

When it was on, I knew I was going to spend sometime not understanding anything. I could speak French but my French was not that rich.. Plus, I was shy. I remembered avoiding speaking to my uncle, the first days, in the fear of having to speak French. hihi... Whenever had then to ask to my parents about things in my uncle's house. My Mum used to say, "Ask your uncle". After some days, I started talking to my uncle and I spoke to him... in Malagasy. :) My uncle is a very tender guy.. really nice with kids.

Of course, in Brussels, I listened to "Les grosses têtes" once in a while... and I spoke French in everyday life, English at one of the jobs I landed. Malagasy is the one I use most, nowadays. :-)

Colors colors everywhere

by bakpakchik

As she lifted paints from her cluttered pallette, it delighted me to see that the pallette itself was the same joyous burst of colors as the work in progress. I could have spent hours watching the artists at work.

The Cafe Life

by shrimp56

The institution of the French cafe has taken a beating from fast food and the frenetic pace of modern life ... yet some of the cafes survive and thrive!
Some basic rules: If you order at the bar, eat/drink at the bar. The prices are different between the bar and the tables. Once you have ordered something the table is yours until you decide to move. This young couple on Rue de Buci can stay there as long as they like! Service is included so the normal policy is to round up to the next euro.

Half Marathon of Paris

by GUYON

Yearly, there is a complete marathon and a half marathon. Both mixed high level racers and amateurs.
It is an occasion to visit Paris. A small amount for the registration.
A medical certificate.
A number given by the organisators.
A lace with a chip inside to determinate the rank at the arrival.

Comments