1 out of 5 stars1 Star

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 1 star hotels

More about Paris

The Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel, ParisThe Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel, Paris

Viaduc des Arts at street levelViaduc des Arts at street level

Glas Pyramid at the LourveGlas Pyramid at the Lourve

The Seine River CruiseThe Seine River Cruise

Navigating Metro with Luggage

by kateaz

I have read that it may sometimes make more sense to take a bus or cab rather than navigate the Metro's stairs and corridors with luggage. From Gare du Nord, I am looking to take the Metro to Montmartre - either Abbesses or Blanche. Are either of these routes feasible or should I plan on taking a cab?

by GrumpyDiver

It really depends on how much luggage you have. We did it with 1 suitcase and one backpack each to Chatelet des Halles.

At Montmartre, I would be more concerned about getting up the hill from the Metro stop. I think you will have a greater challenge there than on the Metro.

by Agraichen

Against my suggestions my wife and daughter convinced me they would do just fine with cases on the Metro.... They have since admitted the folly of their desires as neighter travel "light."

Still with roller bags and not heavy cases it's not all that bad.

by Roadquill

I am envisioning the sight of someone walking from Abbesses up to Mont Martre with even medium luggage. Not a pretty sight, but slightly comical. A taxi from Gare du Nord is not that much and it will get you right to your hotel. Karl

by Beausoleil

Depends on how much luggage. We do it with a carryon each and a school-sized backpack and we're senior citizens. However, do not get off at Abbesses. It is the deepest Metro station in Paris and there are about 265 steps to the top. A long stretch are narrow, winding, circular stairs (with neat murals painted on the wall) that would be impossible with luggage. There is an elevator (lift) but sometimes it isn't working and that would be a disaster with luggage. I don't know how large the elevator is since I've never taken it, just used the stairs and I would not do that with luggage.

There was work in the Blanche station in May but it should be finished by now. It was open, just very unattractive. It's not my favorite station, dark and dreary, but easy in and out.

If you have luggage, it would probably be much more pleasant to take a taxi; it's not that far so won't cost much. Treat yourself. 8^)

by Maryimelda

I totally agree with Sally and Karl, treat yourself to a taxi. Get rid of the luggage at your hotel and then you can take all the Metro trips you like. I got caught on the steps at Abessess and that was WITHOUT luggage. It was so dreadful that I even wrote a Warnings or Dangers tip on my Paris page about it.

by IndianPacific

I agree too, the Paris Metro and RER system is a hell for people with luggage, stairs up and down, badly signed, the stations are not called the same in the Metro as on the RER as by the SNCF, and "just around the corner" is always at least 500 m including stairs - take a taxi!!!

by deltaz91

I agree with everyone....getting up the hill without luggage can be fun....steep, stairs, cobblestones, lots of people. Take a taxi! That said, I've always used the Metro from the train station, but we stayed where it was a little flatter.

Travel Tips for Paris

Moving around in Paris

by capt_jack_sparrow

Language is a great problem here. Most of them will not speak English. The first thing you need to do is collect map of Tourist Bus (The top open double-decker type) and plan your route. There are three routes and the buses are in three colors. Buy a whole day pass or a bigger pass depending on your stay. Plan your route and then drop down to the nearest place. In season the buses are almost full - and you may have to wait for the second bus in many places. This is one of the cheapest way to cover Paris. The best memory of Paris is of course the cruise on the River Siene. You can plan the Eifiel Tower and the Cruise the same day. The cruise offers one of the breathtaking view of the city and if you are lucky to get a side seat do not forget to load your camera and carry extra rells if you are not in the digital age.

What’s a Morris?

by tiabunna

This cast iron structure is called a “Colonne Morris” . Why these are called (in English) Morris Columns, or who they are named after, I do not know. It appears their only purpose is to support streetside advertising posters, so perhaps they were introduced by the Morris Advertising Agency or something? I’ll be happy to be enlightened! They have been a part of the Paris streetscape for many years, however, to the stage that they are almost emblematic of Paris.

Update Thanks to my VT friend Kokoryko, I can now advise that Morrises take their name from a Parisian printer Gabriel Morris, who developed this advertising media in 1850 and they were introduced in 1855-1860 by a specialised advertising company with his name. Some of them rotate and some contain toilets.

Update 2 Further thanks to my VT friend JLBG for reassuring me that Morrises are not going to become extinct and, in fact, are expanding to other French cities. (I had heard they were being progressively removed).

Cultural Differences - Europeans v. Americans

by BeatChick

Funniest moment - we're waiting for the green/yellow bus to pull up at the stop near Nôtre Dame and one of the British passengers remarked "Look, dear, they drive on the wrong side". My friend & I, being from the U.S., just cracked up. The French drive on the right side of the road just as Americans do! Different perspectives and so unexpected!

Photo: March 2001

Foreigners Sit Together

by CALSF

It's happened to me personally and I've read alot of times it's happened to other Americans and other foreigners: We foreigners will be seated in one dining room apart from the French.

I really don't know why this occurs, but could be the restaurant staff thinks we have more in common being non-French? I haven't had any problem with this custom in cafes, brasseries, and many restaurants, just certain ones. I won't generalize and say it happens all the time but it can and may happen to you.

Looking Good While in Paris - Women

by iamjacksgoat

Very importantly, a good bag is a must. Leave the fashionable purses at home and bring something sturdy, reliable, and spacious! Make sure your bag has a thick strap, else a pickpocket could snap it right off. First of all, scarves! Scarves are everywhere in Paris. Even on Air France, the flight stewardesses wore them! Also, darker, more natural colors are more predominant in Paris fashion. As for shoes, make sure they are comfy! Most of the roads in Paris are cobblestone, and you will be walking constantly. However, I would advise against gym shoes, unless you want to look American... Comfy sandals, or tennis shoes (like Pumas) will help your feet feel better while fitting in with the Paris look.

Skinny jeans are in, so pack some of those if you have them. If not, darker colored jeans are more in style, without rips. Parisian women tend to dress up more. I also packed some flowing, long skirts for the hotter June weather. Lastly, to save space, it is always a good idea to mix and match clothes. I did not pack a new outfit for each day. Re-wear clothes such as pants, skirts, and shirts to save valuable space. It will be worth it when you have more room for souvenirs. And when you don't have to pay a fee for overweight luggage!

Comments