Opera Drouot Villa Paris

More about Paris

Père Lachaise entrancePère Lachaise entrance

Benjamin Franklin monument, ParisBenjamin Franklin monument, Paris

JumpingFOONA, Paris, France, July 2010JumpingFOONA, Paris, France, July 2010

the studio from the gardenthe studio from the garden

Disneyland

by mictm3

Bonjour/Hello everyone,
We will have four days in Paris from 5th of September and plan to visit Disneyland for a day most likely Tuesday 7th, do you think we would need to purchase tickets before we leave Australia or would it be ok to buy them at the park on the day? Is it school hoilidays at this time? We visited Disneyland in America and bought the tickets before we left and were glad we did when we saw the lines waiting to buy the tickets at the park, but is the Paris Disneyland as busy as it's American counterpart? I would appreciate your suggestions., Regards, Michele

Re: Disneyland

by Waoife

You should be OK - most European countries school year runs from the start of September so even the latest of them should probably be starting back on Monday 6th. Going on a Tuesday is probably a good idea though as the numbers should be that little bit lower again than on a Monday when you still get a good few people on long weekends.

Re: Disneyland

by mictm3

Thank you both for confirming what I suspected. Although I usually like to pre-book most things sometimes it's nice to just 'wing it' that way if the weather is bad on that day we can go the next. Thank you once again. Regards, Michele

Travel Tips for Paris

Best view of the Tower

by surferob

My favorite spot from which to view the Eiffel Tower is across the river near the Trocadero. One way to get there is from the Arc de Triomphe. Look at a map and see which one of the streets of the "Etoile" lead towards the tower - I think it's Avenue Kleber - and just head in that direction. There is also a metro stop nearby. There is a big overlook with great views of the Trocadero Gardens, the Siene and of course the Eiffel Tower. Go at night for best views. Better yet, go near the top of the hour. That's when they really light it up with the beautiful, flickering white lights.

Click on the picture. We came across this friendly group of Americans who were also enjoying this slightly off-the-beaten-path spot. They asked my girlfriend to take a picture, and I took a picture of her doing it. It came out pretty cool. In fact I think they liked this shot more than the picture we took with their camera, and even asked if I would email it to them when I got home.

The Pomidou Center is a must...

by lola-LA

The Pomidou Center is a must see. They have tons of modern art including a thrilling Warhol silkscreen of Liz Taylor. There's also a gargantuan orange plastic vaccuum bag thing that inflates and deflates - it must be twenty feet in ht. and god knows how big around. The escalator is on the outside of the building so you have a great view traveling to the exhibits on the top floor. It's like the Beverly center times 100. You can have a nice lunch nearby. The Luxembourg Gardens are great. You can sit or stroll around and watch those wonderful French school kids in their red sneakers and green jeans- they're really cute!
One of the fountains is murky and black so you get a pleasant sense of mystery in the middle of a soothing park. There's a nice internet cafe across the street - Cafe Orbital so you can email your friends at home.

Lot of people, when they come...

by BenFromParis

Lot of people, when they come in Paris, think that french people are cold. Perhaps, but I don't think so... We are not different at all. The problem is that lot of them don't go where real parisians live.If you really want to meet french people, be curious and don't stay in touristic districts!!! Before you come in France, you have to know that we never go around Eiffel tower or Montmarte, rarely on the Champs Elyssées or around the Louvre. It's always the same in all the cities.Paris is divided by the river 'la Seine', but it's not only a natural limit. The islands are the historical beginning of Paris. After, Paris has growned on the both sides. So, now south part has its heart: 'Saint-Michel'. And north has its heart: 'Les Halles'. Start you trip here, if you really want to understand the way of life in Paris.
BE CURIOUS, Paris is really mysterious, even for us!!! My life will be too short to know everything.

Bûche de Noel

by TheWanderingCamel

The traditional Christmas dessert in France is the Bûche de Noël, a light creamy sponge roll, rather heavy on the cream! There are small ones and large ones, and they come in every flavour of cakes : chocolate, coffee, vanilla, coconut, Grand Marnier (orange taste), Cointreau (lemony peppermint)….

Actually it makes more sense than the British Christmas pudding which one is nearly always too full to appreciate.

"Bûche" means "log" and mainly they are decorated as logs, with perhaps a tiny axe stuck in them and a meringue mushroom and a few flowers in sugar. The larger ones sometimes look like an old style railway engine. But they are all delicious – bon appetite!!!

This photo is of the individual bûche, there are some photos inside of larger ones!

lulu

Wheel it on!

by Zanee

I'm not going to recommend what type of luggage you take -Paris is like most cities ( the pavements aren't extra bumpy or the streets super narrow) so really, whatever you are comfortable with - though I don't know how I managed before wheeled luggage was invented(my boyfriend lets out a snort of derision at this point as I have never actually carried any luggage -but it's better for him!).Although I don't think there are more pick-pockets in Paris than any other large city, I did make sure that I took a shoulder bag with both a top zip and a zipped inner compartment . You do see some fellow visitors with their backpacks at the front, hugging them for dear life - I'm sure nothing short of a flashing light on your head says 'I am a tourist and here is my cash! '

Comments