Opera Franklin Hotel Paris

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about Opera Franklin Hotel Paris

Great Little Place

by TripAdvisor Member LoveEurope08

We stayed at the Opera Franklin the last week of March for seven nights. Since this was our first trip to Paris, I really did my homework and checked around extensively to find a clean hotel in a decent, neighbourhood where we could really experience Paris life.. The Hotel Franklin was winner for us!
The staff was wonderful and helpful-spoke English. Location
was great as it had easy access to the metro and it was really central to everything we wanted. It was in a terrific location from which to start to explore the city. The room itself was surprisingly adequate and spotless. There were three of us but we managed to get around without bumping into each other. There was a closet but no dressers for our clothes so we kept everything in the suitcases. That was no big deal for us. The bathroom had a shower (with lots of hot water and good pressure), tub, sink, and toilet. It was very modern and very clean. The breakfast was plentiful and filling. We had a balcony door that had a ledge to stand on and it overlooked the courtyard below-very charming!! My only complaint would be the paper- thin walls. We were at the end of the hall so only had to contend with noisy neighbours on one side of us and only for a few nights of our stay. We could actually hear word-for-word conversations and one night I woke up to the sound of snoring, thought it was my husband, and discovered it was the neighbour.! Overall we had a great time and would definitely stay at the Opera Franklin again!

Hope u don't like Sleeping...

by TripAdvisor Member Illy1108

Booked this hotel through American Airlines Vacations. Read all reviews and with an ever open mind, looked forward to judging for myself...

If you look at my profile, you will see that I try to write positive things about most places we stay. I am not picky, nor overly negative when it comes to hotel stays. This will be one of my first negative reviews for any hotel we have stayed in.

If you read all the reviews about the Opera Franklin, you will see mentioned how centrally located the hotel is, how lovely the staff is, how clean the hotel is, how wonderful breakfast is. Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes to all the above. We loved the location, so close to several metro stops. The staff was helpful and freindly on every occasion. The cleanliness of the hotel was above reproach. The breakfast kept us going for a long time. If my review was based on all these factors, it would have been a glowing, wonderful review.

BUT we barely got any sleep at all in this hotel. The walls are paper thin between rooms. When I say paper thin, believe it. We could LITERALLY hear our next door neighbors zipping and unzipping thier luggage. We heard others having sex. Snoring. Talking. TV's. Showers running. Everything the neighbors did, we heard. If you like to sleep after 6AM, forget about it.

I am not a light sleeper. I slept through Hurricane Andrew blowing through Miami years ago. This was completely impossible, frustrating and downright depressing to us, when we realized that sleep was just not going to happen as long as we were at the Opera Franklin. Not one night passed that we did not have to call the front desk to "please ask the neighbors to be quiet". We were awoken every night. Not fun. We will never ever again stay in this hotel and do not recommend it because of this problem. We walked an average of 5 miles a day while in Paris and were utterly exhausted by the end of the day, really looking forward to a good night's sleep. It never happened.

If you insist on staying at this hotel, bring earplugs, you will need them. If we stayed in low season when everything is quieter, I cannot imagine the noise levels in high season, it makes me shudder. Staying in this hotel could have very easily ruined our vacation if we had let it. The noise was that bad.

On a good note, we ate like kings while there. We ate Indian food (around the corner), Thai (across the street), Italian (down the block) and had some wonderful paninis (close to church). Service was wonderful, the people lovely, the food very good. What is it about French food that tastes so good?! Those quality ingredients would be my first guess. Yum.

If you want a really good meal, take the metro from Cadet to Place Monge and find rue Mouffetard or "Le Mouff". Lots of great restaurants CHEAP. 15 Euros for three courses was the norm for really exceptional food. Just one train, no changes. Can't wait to go back; just to another hotel.

Impressed!

by TripAdvisor Member StarGazer84

Just back from a 4 night stay at the Opera Franklin, and here is my review : )

It's just off a main street and down a lane way, so it's fairly quiet. For the money we were paying, first impressions were we were onto a winner. Very nice entrance and friendly reception staff.

We stayed on the 7th floor so street noise was not a factor - in fact it was very quiet with the balcony door open (yes balcony door! - we were lucky though as most rooms don't have one) besides the odd police siren! Our neighbours unfortunately weren't as a quiet, and the walls were probably a bit on the thin side, but it's a budget hotel, and you get what you pay for.

The room was in top condition and the bathroom was spotless. There was a shower/bath, sink, toilet and hair-dryer in ours. Towels and bed sheets were changed everyday so we were never stuck for anything.

A TV was on the wall, which showed about 20 channels. 17 french, 1 german, and 2 English (BBC World News and CNN). We weren't in Paris to watch TV, so the news channels sufficed.

A minibar was also in the room. Forget about the drinks - this was great as it provided refrigeration! Very handy.

As for the area - there is a good supermarket just 30 seconds from the hotel. The metro is only another 30 seconds away which will bring you into the city centre. There are plenty of restaurants and bars around, and McDonalds if you just want a quick snack.

From Cadet metro, you'll be into the Louvre stop in about 10 minutes.

The only reason I didn't give the hotel 5/5 was because of the noise we heard from the rooms adjoining to ours. But I definitely recommend this hotel if you're looking for a cheap, clean and comfortable stay in Paris.

A great hotel in a beautiful city

by TripAdvisor Member Hayley_8

A truly welcoming hotel. Wonderful location, helpful and friendly staff and easy to find when you get off the local metro stop (Cadet). It was such good value for money.
Breakfast can be bought to your room if you're lazy like we were.
Room cleaned, towels etc changed daily
Satellite tv (Eurosport and news channel in English but better than nothing)

The hotel was so friendly they even handed out complimentary boxes of expensive Belgian chocololates to each room on New Years eve.

I would highly reccomend this hotel and def stay there again.
Paris is truly beautiful, we had a wonderful trip

Great for short stay in Paris

by TripAdvisor Member lon488

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights. The room was on 8 floor. No problem at all. The staff was friendly, room very nice and clean. The breakfast was great. This hotel is about 15 min walk to the Opera an department stores.Transport strike was in Paris at the time, we walked from the Eurostar train station in approximately 20 min. The hotel is easy to find, next to Cadet metro station. Not to miss "Le General" restaurant, 2 min from the hotel. Very good food & great atmosfere.

Loved Paris in General

by TripAdvisor Member AndyM68

Just returned from a wonderful Valentines weekend and was really impressed by the hotel and very helpful staff. Most amenities close at hand and a 10-15min walk gets you to the Gallerie La Fayette. Across the road from this is an open top tour bus that for 22Euros per person for 2 days takes you round the main sightseeing spots of Paris allowing you to hop on and off at 9 different locations. One thing is beware of the beggars on most if not all the streets. Ones in particular to look for is were they pretend to find a gold wedding ring on the ground and ask if its yours and then give it to you. When you try to walk away you are pestered for money. Do like I did and either pretend to phone the police reporting it as found or throw it into the Seine!!! This would mostly happen on the river edges

recommed this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member macawell

we stayed here for 4 nights. rooms were clean and nice. Staff were very friendly. It is in a good location with places to eat nearby and made a good base for sight-seeing.
Considering that it is located in the centre of paris, the rooms were not cramped. We were put in a room on a non-smoking floor ( floors 2 and 3 I think ) which was a bonus for us as we would have specified this had we known.
The breakfast food was good as well.

Wonderful Place

by TripAdvisor Member Badgerine

Wonderful hotel with great staff and adequate amenities. Location is excellent, right next to a Metro station. Safe neighborhood (although it seemed like walking to far north wasn't recommended since you would hit the red light district). Good grocery store around the corner. The room was very comfortable and classy, great value for an American working with our weak dollar. Breakfast was good too.

Nice hotel, great location...but noisy in rooms

by TripAdvisor Member WymeswoldVets

Thank the lord for Trip Advisor!!!

Have just got back from a 2-night stay at the Opera Frankin with my 10-year-old daughter, but I'm so glad I read the TripAdvisor reviews before hand and took ear-plugs!

The hotel is small and fine, in a good location close to the Cadet metro, off a busy road and the staff were very helpful.

However, having read the reviews I e-mailed the hotel directly requesting a quiet room on the basis of the comments about thin walls and general noise from adjoining rooms.

They put us on the second floor at the back, which was fine, but it was still impossible to sleep at night without earplugs. OK, I was settling down slightly earlier as I was with my 10-year-old, but you could still here every converstaion and bodily funcion of people in adjoining rooms.

There was also loads of noise from baths, sinks and toilets which seemed to reverberate around the rooms!

However, the ear-plugs did their job and we did get some sleep.

Otherwise the hotel was fine and I'd recommend it to anyone on a Paris break - so long as they take ear-plugs.

Celebration at the Franklin

by TripAdvisor Member Esdalej

I suprised my husband for his 50th Birthday with a week end trip to Paris. We both got a suprise when we seen our room (005). It was very very small, it had no window just a glass door with a curtain. The bed also was a little on the small size. The room was clean, but had little storage space no drawers so we had to use our suit case.The breakfast was just okay we had to queue both mornings as the hotel was full.

The location was great just beside a metro line,and there was lots of shops nearby. The hotel had no tea/coffe making facilities so if you like a cuppa take a small travel kettle. The walls are very thin and you can hear water and toliets flushing.

Word of warning when we arrived at the hotel there was an advertisement for shuttle taxis back to the airport. The price was advertised as €16 Euro each with maxium of 2 persons travelling. We confimed the price with the receptionist, however on arrival at GDA the price on the meter was €54 euro. We were very upset at this. DONT FALL FOR THIS!!!. Overall the hotel was okay for the two days. I will be back to this beauitful city, however at a different hotel.

Comments