16 Boulevard Haussmann, (formerly Radisson SAS), Paris, 75009, France

Booking.com Hotels.com Priceline.com

Costs 71% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Awful

My daughter and I stayed here as part of a Globus package. When we entered our room, it reeked of mold. The bathroom had visible black mold. It was not healthy to stay there. I went to the desk and requested a different room. At first they said they had none. The doorman finally showed me to a different room. The mold smell was covered up with a huge amount of perfumed room deodorizer. I told them that was acceptable. Again, we have no other room. After telling them that hotels always have extra rooms, they found us a renovated room. It was great. EXCEPT--when my daughter took a shower, water flowed from the bathroom into the room. The drain in the shower was perfectly flat. I see more black mold in their future

Unique Quality: The location could not be better!

More about Radisson Blu Ambassador Hotel, Paris Opera

Our Safe was stolen!!!! Be Very careful!

by TripAdvisor Member krasavitsa

My husband and I went to Europe for a 2 month vacation this past summer. Our second stop was the Ambassador Hotel. Although the location was great (right next to the Opera, Metro and The Galleria Mall) and the size of the room that we had was tremendous, unfortunately, our room was broken into and the actual SAFE was ripped out of the wall and stolen. See the pictures. Apparently, 4 men came into the hotel and walked right past the reception desk, got into the elevator and came into our room and stole the safe. They also emptied one of my suitcases and put the safe into the suitcase and wheeled it back down and right past the reception desk in the lobby. This we were able to see after the fact, on the video surveillance. Luckily the only valuable thing that was in the safe were our passports. Yes, our passports, and we still had 4 more countries to visit. We wasted our last day in Paris at the US Embassy obtaining new ones. When we finally got over the shock of what happened, we wanted to be compensated in some sort of way so the hotel offered to pay for the passports, suitcase and taxi ride to and from the Embassy. This was not enough for us as we wanted to be compensated for the remaining 2 nights at the hotel as at that point, we were terrified that the men who stole the safe may come back again. The management gave us a really hard time and only when I started screaming in their lobby did they finally work with us. We originally booked the hotel through Expedia so the hotel along with Expedia worked together to refund our money. Although we were told that this is not uncommon in Paris but just an unfortunate situation, we would not stay there again.

Good business hotel

by TripAdvisor Member KristaInLondon

The Ambassador is close to my company's Paris office, so I've stayed there on three separate occassions over the last few months. Here are my Pros and Cons:

Pros:
> Pretty decent gym. I find most European hotels are lacking in workout equipment, but the Ambassador has two bikes, two treadmills, and two elliptical thingies, plus some weights and one of those "does all weight machines in one" type of things.
> Nice staff, multi-lingual and helpful with all the right things.
> Cute little bar. This comes in handy for business meetings outside the office.
> Wireless Internet access. But see below for the con.

Cons:
> Because this is a large hotel, it's popular with tour groups and conferences. (Particularly Japanese as there's a huge duty free store next door.) This can mean that your wait for the lift takes FOREVER as there are only two small lifts that maybe fit two people with luggage, 4 - 6 without.
> Breakfast is expensive. Stick with croissants in the lobby bar for about 8 euros, or check out the cafes around the hotel.
> Rooms are a bit worn around the edges--especially the beds, which can feel like 20 million people have slept there before you, and you get that "I don't want to walk around in my bare feet" kind of feeling. I've stayed in two rooms where the bathrooms were lovely and modern, and one where it was desperately in need on an upgrade.
> Location: This might be a great location during the week when everyone is out and about--and you've got two Metros in shouting distance--but on the weekends, the neighborhood is dead and there are no really cute restaurants to explore.
> There's wireless, but you have to pay for it. This is pure profit for the hotel, so it really bugs me. Personally, I recommend taking your laptop and wireless card around the block and seeing if you can pick up a hotspot. Worked for me! Pedestrians looked at me strangely, but oh well.
> Crazy pricing: My boss and I have stayed here at the same time, and have been given rates that are very different from each other.

So, all in all, I'm a bit tired of the Ambassador and won't be staying there again.

Great Base

by TripAdvisor Member sox123

We booked this hotel via an offer including Eurostar travel and were offered a room upgrade on arrival. This cost an extra 40 euros but proved well worth it as our room was not only large and very comfortable but on the seventh floor giving superb views over the city. We even had our own balcony. Although it overlooked the Boulevard Haussman there was no traffic noise. It is in an excellent spot for sightseeing and shopping and also very easy to get to from the Gare du Nord. We had read criticisms about the standard of breakfast which was included in our deal. We could not fault it - a huge choice, including full "English" if you so chose. All the staff were very helpful. We will certqinly stay thre again.

Not bad, but definitely not a 4 stars hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Sil2006

I stayed at the Ambassador hotel in Paris for a few days last week. In my opinion, this is not a four stars hotel, even when it is not bad.

Pros:
- good location, very near the Opera
- nice lobby
- nice bathrooms, all white and full of marble, in renewed rooms. The modern bathrooms had nothing to do with the rest of the room style, which was far from modern. Except for this, the bathroom was the nicest part of the room.

Cons:
- my room was too small. I think there are larger rooms at the hotel: maybe if you ask for an upgrade, you are given a large one.
- corridors were worn out: very strong colors and worn edges, which gave the corridors a very dark, old look.
- at the room, doors were worn in the edges and painting was noticeably old and needed to be renewed.
- When I arrived, there were pubic hairs on the linens. I complained and they replaced it rapidly. This was the only bad experience regarding cleanliness. The hotel is overall clean.

Briefly, I would say that this is not a bad hotel, but it is not worth what they charge for it. If you get it for 120 Euros or so, go ahead: it would not be a bad choice. If they ask you more than 200-250 Euros ( as I paid), try another real 4 stars hotel.

Great Location for sight seeing and it can't be beat if your a Shopper

by TripAdvisor Member jennifer91001

We spent a week at this hotel and must say that we had no problems. The hotel is easy to get to from the airport as it's around the corner from the Opera where the Roissy bus stops. The hotel is steps away from several metro stations which make it easy to get around although we mostly walked. The rooms were a nice size and the breakfast was great. We had a great rate that we received through the hotels website of 140Euro a night which included all taxes and breakfast. The staff was very nice and friendly. If you get a chance have a crepe at the stand to the right of the hotel next to the restaurant on the corner. If you like jazz, take a taxi from the hotel to the Meridien for a great time. And for all of you shoppers, spend a day shopping at all of the stores near the hotel. Be sure to ask the hotel for a 10% off card that can be used at the larger department stores if you spend a certain amount.

Great Hotel, Great experience

by TripAdvisor Member JoeQ

Our hotel stay was a really pleasent experience. The rooms were clean an up dated. The hotel staff was extremely corterous and helpful. The location was great with plenty of shopping and within walkinging distance to the Louve and The Arch, etc.
I had heard before I went to France that the French people don't like Americans and are rude in general. I can only tell you that I didnt see and negativity or rudeness in fact I experienced just the opposite. Especially from the staff of the Ambassador Hotel. Thanks for making our vacation a great experience.

1 Floor great, the next floor 3star a best

by TripAdvisor Member mspiessl

Very nice lobby, so the first impression is good. It's behind the scenes where the hotel just does not make 5- or even 4star quality: rooms on the 2nd floor have DSL internet connections - the rest have nothing. WiFi (WLAN) is available in the lobby, but just calling up my gmx-mail address took over 15 minutes!
If you are lucky enough to get a room on the second floor (my guess is these are already rennovated, and the rest will follow... but when?), they're very nice: light greys mixed with deep plum, lost of room to move around the bed and the WC (toilet) is separate from the bathroom - a nice touch if there are two people staying in the room. Lots of closet space and extra pillows, nice fluffy towels.. Sound good? I had to beg to get my room changed: my first room was on the 6th floor: smelled stuffy (of dust, mold and mildew), too much furniture in the room meant little room to move around in, and the colors were uncreative at best. Front desk team is friendly, but unable to cope with large groups checking in or out at the same time (a busload of chinese tourists arrived at the same time I did).
All in all, a hotel that needs to work on its offer if it wants to remain a "Grand Hotel" - but also one that, with a little work, could actually achieve this status!

The Ambassador Needs a Face Lift

by TripAdvisor Member siouxzy

We stayed at the Ambassador Hotel October 24-28, 2006 while in Paris on our honeymoon. The hotel is located in the Opera district in Paris which has many shops & a variety of restaurants right out side the hotel’s door, the location is ideal with a Metro stop close by. The front desk staff were professional & all spoke English; the Concierge was very helpful with arranging transportation to several tours during our stay. Upon our arrival we found out that the hotel is ADAMENT about their 3pm check in. We arrived to the hotel at 10am after traveling all night from Las Vegas on no sleep & were told by the front desk that the maid was cleaning our room & to please check back in 3 hours. 3 hours later we came back & were told our room was still not ready, it was being “inspected” (I guess to make sure the maid did a proper job?) & to give them another 15 minutes, then another 15 minutes, this went on until magically, at exactly 3pm, our room was ready.

Our room was a comfortable size, not too big, not too small & was clean with a comfortable bed. The bathroom was also clean, the toilet was in a separate room from the sink & shower. The rooms were very basic, no bathrobes or special amenities were provided, not at all a 4 star hotel (at least compared to a 4 star in the USA). The walls in the room & hallways were a bit worn but the color scheme was very pleasing. It was unusually warm in Paris while we were there & the A/C in our room barely worked, I woke up during the night hot. The TV reception in our room was terrible, I know TV is the last thing people want to do while on vacation but sometimes it’s nice to unwind with after a busy day.

The continental breakfast that was included in our room rate was wonderful! An “English Breakfast” was also included which consisted of scrambled eggs, potatoes, various cheeses & meats; the restaurant décor was very nice. Ambassador Hotel seemed to be a popular hotel for business people rather then vacationers, it was in a good location & met our needs however, it was far from a 4 star hotel & the rooms could use a face lift, therefore, I would probably not stay there again.

Never Again!

by TripAdvisor Member ChocNomad74

We were very disappointed with Hotel Ambassador!!! The location is beautiful -- near the Opera, great shopping, cool restaurants, etc. Unfortunately, once you leave the first floor/lobby, it all goes down-hill. Our shower was filled with mold (so much so, that we were afraid to step in it). We were also disturbed by the constant sound of running/flushing water. It was so loud, you would think someone was showering or flushing a toilet ALL NIGHT, in your room. When we called the front desk for help, we were told that they would take care of it, but they never did. The next day, they changed our room, which was an improvement, but the damage to their overall image, had already been done. Our next room was a bit more modern, but still left A LOT to be desired. The staff was 50/50. Some were rude, others were helpful. Each interaction was gamble. They are considered 4-star, but I disagree with this rating. I will never stay there again.

Comments